Best place to visit Mayan Ruins??

jvajzp

We will be doing the Western Caribbean in August and are wanting to visit some ruins while on this cruise. Where would you say is the best place to visit the Mayan Ruins?? What about things to do in Nassau?? Haven't heard many positive reviews about Nassau.

Our ports:

Cozumel

Costa Maya

Belize

Nassau

Thanks for any suggestions!!

I too am interested in mayan ruins. The only place i had been before was tulum maybe 8 years ago. It was nice and all but you couldn't touch anything. I would like to go to a place where you can actualy climb on the ruins. I will be going to the same ports mentioned in the first posting. Most likely the same ship! Any input?

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I am thinking about doing the Chaccoben Ruins in Costa Maya through the two guys...I think Ivan and someone. Still researching, but they seem to get a lot of good reviews. Please keep the suggestions and experiences coming!!

Please also tell me who you booked through.. Thanks!:)

We went to Tulum a few years ago - it was a ferry ride, then a long bus ride, from Cozumel. Very, very hot. Can't say I'd recommend that, but then again, I'm not really into ruins. Did it for DH.

Been there, done that. Now can focus on the beach.

Chitzen Itza, if you can.

I would guess there might be an easier way to get there from Cozumel than ferry to main land, then a bus. IIRC, thre is a small aiport near the ruins. I would think it owuld be possible to fly from Cozumel to Chitzen Itza. Wouldn't be cheap, but if it were available and you had the money, I'd suggest doing it that way.

I too am interested in mayan ruins. The only place i had been before was tulum maybe 8 years ago. It was nice and all but you couldn't touch anything. I would like to go to a place where you can actualy climb on the ruins. I will be going to the same ports mentioned in the first posting. Most likely the same ship! Any input?

You can climb Xunantunich and from the top you can see Guatemala.

Good tour... plenty of info on the Belize board.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I am thinking about doing the Chaccoben Ruins in Costa Maya through the two guys...I think Ivan and someone. Still researching, but they seem to get a lot of good reviews. Please keep the suggestions and experiences coming!!

Please also tell me who you booked through.. Thanks!:)

altun ha in belieze: http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/

you can climb the pyrimid here. We took the tour from above company. Carnival came and went withina matter of moments. we had a very impressive guide who told us what we were looking at etc.

Carnival did not provide this with their tour.

altun ha in belieze: http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/

you can climb the pyrimid here. We took the tour from above company. Carnival came and went withina matter of moments. we had a very impressive guide who told us what we were looking at etc.

Carnival did not provide this with their tour.

I take it you were happy with that tour...

Did you feel comfortable with another operator in Belize other than the cruise ship and how much time did you have to spare getting back to the boat. That is what I am most nervous about there....

Looks like a nice tour that you can personalize...hmmmmmm

We used the same group in Belize and really loved Altun Ha. You can climb to the top of one set of ruins. The problem with climbing is that it further deteriorates the ruins - making them even more ruined and possibly not around for future generations. We also did Chacchoban with Ivan and David-chacchobanruins.com. Ivan was born there and David grew up next door- fantastic tour and their knowledge is incredible. Plan on some time in Mahahual- lunch at Cat's Meow is highly recommended! If you want to do Tulum or Chichen Itza then book with Carnival. On our cruise the tour from Tulum was VERY late and luckily it was with Carnival so they waited. Otherwise those tours are too long for me to take the chance of missing the ship. Enjoy yourself!

We went to Altun Ha in Belize (for a second time) and Chacchoben in Costa Maya (with David and Ivan) 3 weeks ago. We've also been to Tulum twice.

Tulum is very nice but most of the day is spent traveling to and from there. It was discovered so long ago that it feels more touristy. Also every structure has been uncovered and you can see every structure when you enter the site. I prefer sites that have more of that Indiana Jones feel where you know there is so much more to be uncovered.

Altun Ha is also nice and you get to climb to the top of one ruin. The ruins that have been excavated so far cover a small area, so it is a good choice for those that don't want a lot of walking. It and Chacchoben have only been discovered in the last 40+ years and they are still excavating them. We were at Altun Ha 3 years ago and it was neat to see the progress since then. It is a very open area. (Note: we had planned to see Xunantunich this time, but less than a month before our cruise, my DH was in the hospital. He was well enough to cruise, but we needed to look for ways to minimize his standing and walking.)

I found Chacchoben fascinating. It is my favorite of the 3. It is still in the middle of a rain forest and there are still a lot of mounds with ruins underneath them that haven't been uncovered. There is a lot of walking, but David and Ivan also do some talking while everyone sits on the bottom few steps of a ruin. The rain forest is there and you can't even see many of the ruins until you get to them. It is so Indiana Jones! I liked being surprised as we toured them rather than seeing everything when you walk in like in Tulum and Altun Ha. To me, the Chacchoben site gives me the best idea of what life was like in the Mayan era.

Have fun in whichever you choose!

Archived