Begging for an upgrade fairy visit

SC_Sam

DW and I are booked in a balcony stateroom on the 09/02/06 CB sailing. From what I can tell on the Princess website and a couple of online travel agent websites, there appear to be no balcony staterooms or minisuites left available on this sailing, but there are 3 category PS suites, and at least 6 category PH suites.

At 45 days out from sailing, what are my chances of getting offered a free upgrade from a balcony stateroom to a suite? Is there anything I can do to make it more attractive to Princess to offer me an upgrade? If offered, is there any reason not to take it?

It seems to me it would be worth it to Princess to move some guests from categories that are sold out (and waitlisted) to these open suites, so that Princess could sell the cabins to someone willing to pay for a balcony stateroom, etc., but not a suite. Does it depend on how many people are waitlisted for a particular category as to who gets the upgrade?

If Captain's Circle status matters, this will be our third Princess cruise in the last two years, so I guess that makes us Captain's Circle Gold.

For those who have received complimentary upgrades in the past, how close to sailing did they occur? Does Princess contact you to see if you want the upgrade or does it just appear online in the cruise personalizer? I booked directly with Princess to a specific cabin (i.e., not a "guarantee" cabin), but did not tell them not to upgrade.

Here's hoping. (Of course, if my wish were granted, then I'd probably never get DW back into anything smaller -- could be an expensive "free" upgrade!)

You can beg all you want, and who knows... it might just work. However, the reality is that your chances are very, very slim. Particularly with a cruise that's essentialy sold out and you're past the final payment date. You can dream... but don't expect an upgrade. I'm about to embark on my 13th Princess cruise, most between 12 - 15 days each, and I have never been upgraded from one cabin type to another. Any "upgrades" I've received have been the same cabin type, different location and even those have been few and far between.

Archived