Snorkel in St. Thomas

BamaBill

Me and my wife are thinking about snorkeling on our own at a ST.Thomas beach. Any suggestions about which beaches are best for snorkeling? I have heard Coki Beach is good. What is the place "Coral World" all about? Also, which beaches are prettiest to see for a first time visitor. I know Magen's BAy is best known, but is it super crowded? Any comments welcomed!!

The first time we were there we went to Trunk Bay on St John. The second time we went to Megans Bay. We liked Trunk Bay alot more. Megans Bay was crowded and not good for snorkeling, but was good if you wanted to wade in the water and just chill. Trunk Bay is a 30 min ferry ride and the snorkeling is very good here. They have pylons in the water to show you what fish and coral you see. Pretty cool....

The first time we were there we went to Trunk Bay on St John. The second time we went to Megans Bay. We liked Trunk Bay alot more. Megans Bay was crowded and not good for snorkeling, but was good if you wanted to wade in the water and just chill. Trunk Bay is a 30 min ferry ride and the snorkeling is very good here. They have pylons in the water to show you what fish and coral you see. Pretty cool....

Did you book the trip to Trunk Bay through the cruise ship or get over there on your own?

We took the cruise ship tour. If the tour is late getting back to the ship, they know that you are late and they will wait for you. If you book on your own and are late, they have no idea where you are. I have heard stories where they will leave and you have to pay to get back on the ship. I am not sure how true that is, but I can believe it.

Anyway, Trunk bay is beautful and you will love it no matter if you go with the ship tour or on your own.

Try Hawks Nest Bay in St Johns, just take the ferry over, hop a cab to Hawks Nest Bay. I was there in the spring of 05 and it was great. No services, just a thin stretch of sand and coral. Very uncrowded and you can snorkle off the beach. Just take a small cooler with drinks and snacks! Enjoy!:p

Archived