Dolphins at Roatan

NMCruzzin

Hello,

We will be in Roatan the first week of Aug and was wondering if anyone has done an excursion with dolphins? If so, where did you go and was it worth the cost? Did you book it through the Cruise line?

Our daughter (24)is traveling with us and this is on the top of the list of things to do.

Thank you!

Jean

I believe the excursion is done at Anthonys Key Resort; it's the only place I know of on Roatan that has anything along those lines. I've not done the excursion while on a cruiseship, but I stayed at the resort in January 2005.

The resort is nice & well-run. They offer several types of dolphin outings (at least they do so to resort guests; I think it is the same with the cruise passengers). One is a scuba dive with the dolphins; it is done in open water (they are released from the pens at the resort & basically follow the boat out to a sandy area, where they interact with the divers). The other is a snorkle with them. My experience is that they tend to interact better with snorklers, probably due to the loud/odd sounds that scuba divers make.

I have been told that the excursions can ONLY be booked through the cruise ship (not certain that this is still the case but I'm pretty sure that it was when we were there).

As to cost, I believe the snorkle trip is quite a bit cheaper than the scuba.

Archived