RCCL or Celebrity

Jarronwood

Hello everyone

I am thinking of cruising the Panama nxt Feb/March on one of the Celebrity ships (Summit) and have also been looking at RCCL. Am I right in thinking that Celebrity is a notch above RCCL?

I have been on Explorer crusing the Caribbean and loved it immensely. We were booked but had to cancel a Med cruise on Legend of the Seas and I avidly researched all the pros and cons about Legend.

Now we are in a position to book another holiday and want to go around about Feb/March next year (We are British living in England and by this time after a cold winter will need some sun).

So I am on the computer morning noon and night trying to find the best for us.

Your help in initially telling me the different between RCCL and Celebrity would be great.

Basically we are young 50s and like peace and quiet and preferably no kids (we have 4 between us), I am thinking of an aft balcony room and help on choosing one would be appreciated. Failing that a nice mini suite? Haven't got that far yet.

I really need your advice on RCCL or Celebrity. I am trawling through all the posts on the Celebrity forum as I have aleady exhausted RCCL.

Hope to hear from you with your help

Many thanks

Having been on both lines, I rather prefer Celebrity. That being said, I would NEVER turn down a good priced cruise on RCCL.

We did the Panama Canal on the Galaxy. While the Galaxy does get some criticism for "shabbiness", certainly there was nothing to impede our enjoyment of the trip. In fact, we're booked on the Galaxy in the Med this fall.

We are late 40's and have been on about 15 or so cruises. We do not crave late nights or ship sponsored entertainment. My opinion is that RCCL seems a bit "sterile", and Celebrity seems more personal. That perception may be solely based on the waiters/cabin stewards who happened to be assigned to us...who knows.

I've been on 2 RCCL and this will be our 4th Celebrity.

Thanks for that

After reading some threads about Celebrity it seems it is probably the ship for our cruise providing I can get the cabin I want.

I know when we were on RCCL I likened it to a top class holiday camp (Butlins on sea but with a bit of class). I hate the singing waiters, both my husband and I cringe, hate that sort of thing but having said that it didn't lessen the whole cruise experience for us and if we can dispense with that then we have a winner.

WHat grade of cabin would you recommend though? I know its all to do with finances but you experiences would be of immense help.

We will probably spend quite a bit of time in our cabin especially on the balcony as we tend to both read a lot. We are not party party people although the formal evenings will be great since we both like to dress up. I should think we will order room service in the evening probably about 2-3 times and if that can be set up on our balcony that would be wonderful.

Given your circumstances, it would seem that the "investment" in a verandah cabin would be worthwhile. We are not particular. We've booked verandah cabins ONLY when the price is very compelling. (We were afraid that once we 'went verandah', we'd never go back!) However, we love being on the ocean so much, we'll take any cabin.

We rarely book a window. Either we go totally frugal and book the inside or we "go for it" and book the verandah.

The only suggestion I'd make is to watch for the location of the life boats. Occasionally, the life boat somewhat impedes the view from the cabins. On a recent cruise, we had to look "over" the life boat to see the ocean/horizon. In other words, we couldn't really look down. Also, some ships now have external glass elevators along the side of the vessel, about midship. Peering passengers and perhaps some "swooshing" noise could be an issue.

Check out this thread (actually a poll) for more insight:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=382023

Have a GREAT time!

I would reccommend the Concierge Class with veranda. We had one of these cabins on our last cruise and were completely please with not only the room, but the perks that come with it. Just some of the perks were: fresh fruit, daily canapes, choice of pillows(body pillow was nice to have), fresh flowers, a bottle of champagne in the room when we got there, a shower head that is also a hand held shower head, fresh flowers, special room service breakfast menu, just to name a few. Have a great cruise.:p

We are cruising on the Summit, Feb.17th, 14 day Panama Canal cruise. hope you will consider joining us.

The aft cabins tend to go quickly and many times are purchased by other TA's. You might look into other agencies if you cannot get an aft thru Celebrity.( We booked an aft CC cabin for this sailing )

We also have 4 children and adore them but when we travel with out the children we like the ratio to be more adult.

My favorite are the M class ships. Excellent service, good food. I love the thallo pool and the aqua spa area. I am 51 and have always met and enjoyed the other cruisers, many who we still keep in touch with.

Our roll call is very small --hoping it will grow.....Hope you get to join us.

What ever you choose, enjoy your vacation

Nadine

Or..........you might consider joining us on the Mercury for an early December full transit Panama Canal Cruise...........leaving San Diego on December 8th. We have a Royal Suite.........and I believe that there are some still available.........and to us, quite reasonably priced. We look at anything under $1000.00 per night is an excellent price for what we want. Our cabin includes a dining area, and we dine there almost every night of the cruise, including inviting another couple on every occasion.

Celebrity is a step above any mass market line...........and we have cruised them all. I kid my older brother, that does nothing but Crystal and above..............and he gets the same service in 250 square feet that I get in just under 600 sq.ft.

Well, to each their own..... but for our dollar..........it's hard to beat X.

Rick

Hi

I have looked at the 17th Feb Summit (Nadine might join you) but if we are to spend about £4500 - £5000 for the cruise (which includes flights from the UK) then I would want an aft cabin. Its not every year we spend this sort of money and if I am going to, then the cabin has to be right. I dont want second best.

I have already spoken with a TA here in England who says fully booked.

I am wondering whether any may free up once the full balance is due.

I think the English TAs operate differently to the American ones. With us here in England we put a small deposit down £100 per person then 12 weeks before departure, the rest of the balance is due. Is it the same in USA?

We want to go about Feb March time since by that time we woukd have had enough of the English weather and would welcome some sunshine.

Its a dilemma really whether to wait and see. Might give the Celebrity line a direct call.

Archived