QE2 Cabin 4260

simwil

I am booked into 4260 and I just spotted on a deckplan that it is identified as a special value cabin because of noise. Has anyone stayed in it who could tell me what the problem might be? Don't mind a lift or workshop etc. next door if only a problem during the day but not keen if it is going to mean sleepless nights!

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

I am booked into 4260 and I just spotted on a deckplan that it is identified as a special value cabin because of noise. Has anyone stayed in it who could tell me what the problem might be? Don't mind a lift or workshop etc. next door if only a problem during the day but not keen if it is going to mean sleepless nights!

Haven't stayed in this cabin, but you are in the last passenger cabins on 4 deck. The next rooms towards the stern (ie on your left as you look out of the porthole) beyond the cabin wall (and the "crew only" door in the passageway) is stewards accomodation. Where did you find deck plans that warned you of noise?

Hope this helps.

Its right over the props so there will probably be a bit of a hum, that can be quite hypnotic anyway, you can't tell what is on the other side of the bulkhead, if it is anything that involves crew working I'm sure you could ask them to stop anything too noisy, they are always willing to please. sometimes the crew bars are at the back but that area doesn't look big enough, all speculation sorry, hopefully as it is a value cabin, you got it at a good rate too. I have found the UK reservation team very helpful, if the ship is not full i'm sure they will move you if you are worried, you probably have the number anyway, if not it's 0845 0710300

I hope you have a great time

Hi SSNORWAY

Yes you can, if you look at deck plans.

Very best wishes

It was just a quick reply looking at the brochure which doesn't show much, simwill look at the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=378871, there are few people there with detailed plans that could tell you exactly what is there.

Mark

There are few people there with detailed plans that could tell you exactly what is there.

OK - I know that I've been slower than I thought getting decks 4 and 5 done (I spent 1 1/2 hours last night and then I can't make the images merge!). The plans would be of no use though - They just show the bulkhead and not what's beyond it.

there are few people there with detailed plans that could tell you exactly what is there.Mark

Hi

Went and checked the deck plans again, as I said, there are stewards accomodations beyond the bulkhead.

Hope this helps.

Very best wishes

I looked on my copy of the deck plans, and I couldn't find 4260 (the highest numbered room I see is 4225, but my vision isn't the greatest and the numbers are so tiny).... I found 4206 which is one floor above G32, the disco.... This would be a very noisy location into the wee hours... especially if they play Lionel Ritchie's "Dancin' on the Ceiling." ;)

Thanks for making the effort Freckles - much appreciated.

I have contacted Cunard today and should find out what they say soon.

Like most people I expect her to make all sorts of noises as we move along - I would be disappointed if I didn't hear the furniture creaking! I just wonder if 4260 has a severe problem.

Spoke to Cunard today who told me the cabin suffered from vibration at times. Have had cabins in this area on 2 deck before so not too worried - only seems to happen when we alter direction or the pitch of props is changed (so I have been told!).

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned and know the answer! Cabin 4260 is extremely noisy-never slept at all. on the first night. Given earplugs at 3.30a.m. but not any help. Staff in Pursers Office brilliant next day and we moved to one towards the bow which was perfectly quiet. Have travelled on her 16 times and naturally expect some noise - seems to me silly for it to be used - passengers suffer and the staff on board must spend a lot of time dealing with the consequent complaints. Perhaps those who allocate cabins onshore should have a go sleeping in it!

Interesting to see the modifications made to the ship regarding security and the extra security patrols on deck!

Fantastic trip as usual!!!

I'm not an expert but it was a very load rumbling/engine noise. Never experienced such a row before and usually book in the cheaper cabins towards the stern. The only way to find out is to book the cabin yourself!!!

Interesting to see the modifications made to the ship regarding security and the extra security patrols on deck!

Fantastic trip as usual!!!

Hi

What were the added extra security patrols/modifications you speak of? in all my time have never seen such a thing on QE2, which in hindsight l do find quite unusual? and yet strangely enough of the MSC melody last year, thought the security very tight, and the onboard security teams were always patrolling the ship on a very regular basis and at all times of the day and night

cheers

Myles

There were quite a few including:-

Security staff sitting on the boat deck and bridge when in port.

New metal grills fitted over crew decks at stern.

Removal of steps to bridge wings from deck below bridge. The ones used by passengers to access bridge when it was opened.

• 1 month later...

Archived