Confirmed Air Scheduled Changed without Notification

FireChap

In February, 2004, booked, confirmed and paid for air fare for 6 on a major airline. Last Thursday, I checked our arrangements, and found our scheduled had been changed. The flights presented had our group leaving Dallas at 1:40 p. m. to go to Salt Lake City, and we weren't even to arrive in Dallas until 3:30 p. m. A call to reservation did not result in any explanation of why the schedule was changed although a standard apology was provided for their failure to notify us. The agent scheduled us for another route, and all in our group are praying that this schedule is right. Our group of 6 will be seated individually throughout the plane. This could have been a nightmare had I not found out about the flight change until 24 hours before flight time. Seems the airline can arbitrarily changed the schedule without any responsibility of informing the customer. Be alert.

I can definetly sympathize with you. It's happened to me. We were originally scheduled on a non-stop flight which was cancelled and we were rerouted onto a double connection which would have gotten us to our destination too late to make our ship - and they didn't notify me. I got this weird urge to check the arrangements. I don't get why it is that the airlines won't notify us.

There are new features on most airlines' websites where you can get them to "auto-notify" you in case of a change, but to me, a significant schedule change is something they should call you about! Customer service????

As for you sitting throughout the plane, if you make it to the airport early enough, the airline holds back approximately 30% of seats for checkin, so you may still be able to get everyone sitting together.

Good luck
-bb123

Thanks for confirming what we have been told about seating. Due to the confusion, we plan to be there "plenty early"! I did the same thing you did - just got an "urge" to check due to the fact that two other couples were depending on me.

Last time we flew we booked 6 months in advance. Their was an abundance of flights listed for the airline we wished to fly + numerous different departure times available. Prior to our flight we had 3 e-mail updates changing our scheduled flight time.

IMO they hook to book with lots of choices then cull the flights down leaving you in some cases holding the bag. We booked a 4PM arrival on a Eastcoast bound flight only to have it streched out to nearly 5:30PM with a flight change only then to have it changed back again to nearly the original arrival time only to be changed one final time.

It is very important that you check and recheck your flight information as stuff happens all the time. My sons flight was changed a total of 6 times before we cruised. and never was notified.

i always sign up for any email alerts by email on my flight reservations. at least then i know what is going on with it and i can call and try to get it straightened out if i need too. so far my times for my sept flight to pheonix have only changed by a matter of minutes and i have a better lay-over time in chicago. but i will keep track of it till then.

We booked flights for our cruise in 2004, when the flights became available in spring of 2003. Same thing happen, without our notification they had cancel those flights and switched us to other flights-- and of course our seat assignments were lost along with those flights. On the way down, there was not problem, they put us on the earliest flight, on the way back, the plane was over sold, my dh had a seat assignment--I was to be determined............Went right up to the desk....has very nicely, but firmly to be able to sit together, as our tickets where AA problem.......they sat us together in first class......it pays to complaim, but do it nicely (this from a sales manager of a major department store)

Our departing AirTran flight to Miami was changed from 9:00am to 2:00pm. I received a notification from Orbitz about the change. Our cruise is scheduled to depart at 5:00pm. So arriving at the airport at 4:00pm would not be a good thing. I was alarmed at first, but Orbitz was great. We were able to get a refund from AirTran and rebook with American Airlines. We are leaving Baltimore much earlier than I would have liked too, at 6:00am. We are traveling with our six year old, but I would rather arrive early than late. The flight time with American Airlines has changed slightly by a few minutes which I do not mind. It was just such a big shock to see our flight time change by five hours.

[quote name='dustyroad']i always sign up for any email alerts by email on my flight reservations. at least then i know what is going on with it and i can call and try to get it straightened out if i need too. so far my times for my sept flight to pheonix have only changed by a matter of minutes and i have a better lay-over time in chicago. but i will keep track of it till then.[/QUOTE]

I agree w/Dustyroad on this. We have tkts for our Nov cruise w/Continental Airlines & I signed up for their email alerts. I received an email from them recently to advise that our flite is leaving 5 mins earlier. It's a good idea to sign up for any frequent flyer clubs or free services that you can. They also emailed me if I print out my own boarding pass, it will entitle us to free in-flight headphones. So always look over your airlines website for any & all offers.

I do not believe airlines have to notify you-you are held responsible for checking on your flights status. Our Delta flight to Seattle was switched on us. We had to call the airline for alternate routing. We booked in March. The best way to keep up with it is to check online.

[color=darkorchid]With the airlines having such financial struggles, you often read of some airlines selling off airplanes and therefore having to cut back schedules due to fewer planes. The planes can fly safely only so many hours a day. Definitely take advantage of the email alerts.[/color]

Archived