Inspiration leaving in 28 days

beachmama17

me and my family go Sept. 30. I'm so excited. I think the fun card you're talking about might be the soda card. It's for unlimited cokes. ask your TA or PVP about the price but I think it's around $25. My hubby and I are taking our 2 teenage boys with us. We're probably gonna buy the cards for them.

If this isn't what you're talking about then check the carnival website for the camp carnival stuff. They have lots of teen activities listed there.

Miracle leaving in 29 days.

The fun card is for unlimited soda, we've used it before, the teens love it. Great teen activities on board, there will be a meeting that informs you of all activities, etc. On the TV in your room there will be info on shore excursions and shopping, etc. You will want to cruise again and again.

We were just on the inspiration at the end of June, 5 day. We had one teenager with us. He really enjoyed the ClubO2 for 15-17 year olds. He went and met a bunch of kids on the first day at sea, and hung out with them the rest of the time. They had a party every night in the disco from 9:45-10:45, other things included, texas holdem, xbox games, blackjack, movies, golf simulator, basketball, other games like board games or trivia and other stuff I can't remember. They all went as a group to the night time deck party etc. If they didn't like what was going on in the club, then they went and did something else. He had a great time hanging with the kids he met. I don't know anything about the 13-14 year old group if that applies to you. It was a fun cruise for our family. Wonderful weather. We did snorkling in grand cayman, and went to xcaret from Calica. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer. You will have a great time.

I've heard that GC is expensive. I'd really like to know what expensive is.... I mean does it mean $50 at Wendy's for a family of four or does it mean that the shopping is expensive? We want to do the beach/bartering thing there. What can we expect?

You're probably not going to be there long to worry about food costs, but everything else is expensive. It's been a few years since I was there but I too am going on the Inspiration but in Oct. I don't remember a straw market there like I have seen in Nassau and in Mexico, there are a fair amount of T-shirt shops and that sort of thing. The shopping is more on the high end expensive shops, not to many bargins that I remember, but certainly a beautiful place.

I've heard that GC is expensive. I'd really like to know what expensive is.... I mean does it mean $50 at Wendy's for a family of four or does it mean that the shopping is expensive? We want to do the beach/bartering thing there. What can we expect?

I, too was on the Inspiration the last week of June. The entire cruise and ports were AWESOME. In Grand Cayman, my sons and I decided to go to Sea Grape Beach Club on our own. One way cab fare was $4 each for each of us. The driver was very friendly and informative. Gas prices were at $5.50 a gallon to give you an idea of cost of living in Grand Cayman. Supposedly a 9 piece chicken only from KFC was at $23. The beach club was GREAT. The entire beach area of Grand Cayman is considered Public Access. The club offered lounge chairs and umbrellas at $10 each for rent. There were other rental equipment also available such as snorkeling equip, wave runners, etc.

There was a bar that served food located at the club. Burger and fries at $17 and beer at $7.

I think if we used Carnival's excursion for this outing it would have cost us $28pp for roundtrip transportation and use of the chairs and umbrellas only. So we saved a little by going on our own.

As far as shopping - I noticed a lot of what looked like high end specialty shops ie: Rolex, Cartier, Harley Davidson, etc. I don't think you can barter in any of the shops in port.

Surprisingly, the ship's gift shop was reasonable and carried several souvenirs of the ports we visited.

Liz

Carnival Inspiration - June 2006

Anyone have beach reccomdations for Calica/PDC? Besides Xcaraet

Ms. Pammy and Josie1968-

The Inspiration offered a Beach Break for $38 - this excursion provided round trip transportation to Xpu Ha Beach and the use of chairs,palapas, hammocks and an 'open' bar at the La Playa Beach Club. Very nice! The Beach club has a restaurant with both inside and outside seating. The bar has swings as bar stools (looked fun). Try the Rum Punch...hmmm...tasty!

Kayaks, waverunners, snorkeling equipment available for rental. Hair braiding is available. Small market onsite for gift and souvenir shopping. Watch out! Very pricey but Jerry will barter with you for a better price.

I loved this place! Not crowded and if you're looking for great beach time this is the place to go.

I didn't do Playa del Carmen this time but I can tell you a little something about it from my 2003 trip. The town is small but has very interesting shops and restaurants located on 5th Avenue. The beach is located 1 block from 5th Avenue. The beach in Playa del Carmen is 'all' public. There are several hotels and resorts located on the beach with chairs and umbrellas for guest use but from what I've researched from several forums you might be able to squat a seat for a minimal cost. There are a couple of beach clubs to frequent, also. Mamita's and Blue Parrot have received high recommendations.

I would probably not take a ship excursion into PDC - you are probably better off taking a taxi (cheap) into town and start roaming. :)

Liz

Carnival - June 2006

Archived