Just off Golden British Isles

ggo85

We had a delightful day in Edinburgh and took the bus from S. Queensferry into the city and back. Edinburgh is easily done on your own.

We also did private tours in Holyhead, Belfast and Glasgow which were fabulous!

Jules1 and others who took private tours in Holyhead -- do you remember what time you got over to the dock from the tender? Was it a long wait until the ship's tour people were finished tendering?

Also, to anyone -- how was air conditioning on the ship? Some ships seem frigid and others seem too warm. Any areas that seemed higher or lower than usual? If I know the theatre is very cold, I usually will pack a black pashmina to throw over my shoulders.

Thanks for all your help!!

Allistar was fabulous and of all our guides he was the most knowledgeable!! You will love him!

We had plenty of time to tour Belfast including the murals and peaceline. In fact our driver dropped us off to do some shopping in the city center around 3:30 and we took the free shuttle back to the ship. Tons of time left. I highly recommend the rope bridge too (If you don't mind walking 1 km) because the scenery along the walk to the bridge was awesome. Probably the most beautiful place I have ever been. I liked it more than Giant's Causeway.

There was not a wait for a tender in Holyhead and we made it to the dock at 8:45 easily. There was a long wait for Edinburgh though. Princess never checked the tickets they handed out when you went to get on the tenders.

No such luck on the special offer on laundry. We kept looking out for it because we needed it but they didn't offer it on our sailing.

I didn't notice the a/c on the ship, which probably means it was okay. I'm usually cold but I didn't need a sweater at dinner or at shows. I can't say I ever felt particularly hot or cold during the cruise, and I'm pretty sensitive.

You control your own a/c in your room.

Thanks for letting us see the slides of your trip...I was quite interested in what people wore off the ship on excursions...I am currently packing for our upcoming trip and I will revise some of my wardrobe!!! N

Kevin,

On your Belfast Tour can you remember where you stopped for lunch and for how long? If so, what was it like i.e. would you recommend?

I have a similar tour booked as yours for the 10th August sailing, it is reassuring to know that we won't be pushed too much for time. Was there a charge to cross the bridge?

Sorry lots of questions!!

Kevin (Judy) Thanks so much for the info - I'm so looking forward to our day with Alastair!!:D

You can get from the port into town and back very easily, using public transport http://www.lothianbuses.co.uk/howto/findRoute.asp There is a really good bus service and it would have only cost a couple of quid return.

BD!

Is this what you have done??

We have booked the Royal Experience (Holyrood, Britannia and Lunch) but I'm now thinking we might as well do this on our own. However, I'm travelling with my Mom, and she can't walk for miles, and from what I read, catching the train would be too strenuous... so where would we catch a bus??

PS I would have given Lands End a miss too!

Thanks for the reinforcement - cancelled the excursion. We'll try to get to ferry to St Mawes instead!

MC

. My concern is that it sounds like you need to be in excellent athletic shape for most of the excursions. I'm fine with moderate walking, but most the ports sound like there will be extensive walking - many on inclines. :eek: With that in mind, I may need to re-think my decisions about tours! Arrgggh!

I appears that the weather was great. The photos show you wearing short sleeves or a light jacket at most. If anyone has a crystal ball, would they let us know how our weather will be in five weeks? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say you need to be in "excellent" shape for the tours. First, it depends on what tours you take. We did the walking tours, which are rated by Princess as their most active. I would say that, if you can walk 1.5 miles, with stops every 1/4 mile (but not sitting down to rest) at a 30-min mile pace (which isn't too fast), you'll be fine. If you can't do that, opt for a tour with less walking.

As noted, at Giant's Causeway, you can do all bus and see it all -- and many people did. It is more scenic to walk some of it, if you're able. Walking on the pilings of the causeway, however, is not for those who aren't pretty agile. They are uneven and slippery.

At Urquart castle, the ruins are about a 1/3 mile down a paved walkway, which means you walk back up the same distance. The ruins themselves are grassy/sandy with some pavement. They give you plenty of time, but if you don't want to walk, you'll view the ruins from a distance (not 1/3 mile because path doubles back on itself).

Caernafron Castle is all paved. It's easy to walk on the grounds. Climbing up the towers is only for the agile -- one staircase going both ways, which is very narrow.

Scottish Experience -- no significant walking required.

Re the weather -- for touring, I brought: 1 pr shorts (wore them 3x), 7 short-sleeved or elbow-sleeved shirts (wore all), 1 pr jeans (not worn), light jacket (not worn), one sweater (worn once for 2 hrs), 3 prs chino-type pants (all worn), 2 casual jackets (not worn), one lined warm-up suite (not worn).

As you can see, I wore the light stuff and not the heavy stuff. But, we had no rain and temps in the 80s most of the time. The week before, it was rainy with temps in the low 60s. You'll almost certainly pack more than you'll wear.

I had a lot of fun reading your comments. You've reminded me of many great memories from our British Isles cruise last summer.

Hi Spongerob,

I've seen reference to your review on our roll call thread, but havn't been able to find it when searching these boards. Do you have a lin to it? It sounds like it was full of good information!

Click here. :)

Thanks Spongerob! Lots of usefull info. I was searching for your review on the British Isles and Princess forums. You'd think I would know enough to look at the regular member reviews, but I didn't. Thanks again!

Also, thanks to everyone else just off Golden Princess for all of the info! Very, very helpful!

Normally I do not use "local currency" I use plastic or my ship board account for tours, however it seems that in many cases you had no "shuttle" and had to use local buses. Therefore I assume that you had to use local money to pay for the rides, also to pay for tickets to get in the museum. Did you get this local money before you left home, or on the ship, or at a British bank?

On most cruises the "shopping " talk is all about gem stones (for some reason every cruise I have taken assumes I am going to deck myself out in diamonds, saphires, pearls etc.) In Edinburgh were you given information on where to get such items you cannot get anywhere else - lengths of cloth for skirts or kilts, sweaters etc.

We certainly appreciate the information you both have provided. It helps with out planning for our cruise later.

A few more questions, if you do not mind:

Was Dublin the only port with a shuttle to town?

Did anyone do the Lands End with St Ives (bad or good)?

Any feedback on the tour out of Glascow that goes to the Yacht Britannia and gives an overview of Edinbough?

Did anyone do the Loch Ness--how was it?

Thanks for your help

I heard that the trip to St. Ives was severely delayed by a man with numerous wives who were busy counting cats and kittens. It was a real conundrum why they all happened to be there.

:D

You knew I was going to do it eventually...:)

spongerob - you are too funny!

Here are the excursions I have booked with Princess for my August 30th sailing. With my limited walking ability, do they look like I'll be okay with these (all subjective, I know), but any feedback or opinions will be helpful:

Giants Causeway - Belfast

The Town of St. Andrews - S. Queensferry

Caernarfon Castle & Snowdonia - Holyhead

We have booked one independent tour with our CC group in Invergordon, so I should be fine with that one. With your recommendation, I cancelled our Land's End/St. Ives tour - wouldn't want to have to deal with all those cats and kittens along with the wives anyway! :D

Any thoughts would be welcomed! ;)

some answers to some questions:

Having a balcony on the port side was really better as we were able to see the bands that welcomed us and waved goodbye...except that since you are going in the opposite direction the starboard might be better????

the decks on Baja(deck 11) are covered...nobody can see you, but you can look down at deck 9 and 10.

Everyone said the Palace in Edinburgh was a waste. We went to Rosslyn Chapel (Davinci Code) in the morning, then were taken into Edinburgh to do our own thing, and then we were picked up and taken back to the ship. Worked out perfectly. Plenty of stores for woolens, St. andrew hats etc.

Fred does not seem to be driving for Busybus. It is his son Peter's business. We were 2 busses supposed to be going together, but the second driver, Steve, didn't know where to go and Peter kept leaving him in the dust. At one point when we were with steve(they changed back and forth) he couldn't get his car up the hill with us in it, so we had to get out and hike up. It was a beautiful tour though. We had gotten a late start, because there was a ferry passing and the tenders were stopped for an hour. Make sure you have Peter.

Falmouth was a waste for us...we were all toured out and decided to do our own thing .....nothing to see, nothing to buy. Some liked the maritime museum..we thought it only so, so. It was our last day and the weather there wasn't so good.

The free tours from the pier in Greenock were great...explored a castle, saw the harbor, met the Mayor, viewed the city from a park atop of the city...wonderful day.

BElfast --we saw the murals and then drove for hours along the seacoast to Giant's Causeway. Too long a ride.

It is dangerous to be on the rocks...ambulances were coming as we were leaving. don't know what happened.

We were with Awaken who arranged a pub lunch. The owner tried to add £2.50 to each lunch. People on minicoach complained that their lunch experience was even worse.

Easy to get around Dublin with on/off bus. Good shopping.

Pretty city.

Marilyn

spongerob - you are too funny!

Here are the excursions I have booked with Princess for my August 30th sailing. With my limited walking ability, do they look like I'll be okay with these (all subjective, I know), but any feedback or opinions will be helpful:

Giants Causeway - Belfast

The Town of St. Andrews - S. Queensferry

Caernarfon Castle & Snowdonia - Holyhead

You'll have no problem doing the Causeway. However, be sure to take the tram to and from the Causeway. The walk is 20 minutes downhill/uphill. I would also suggest not walking on the pilings, other than maybe a few of the ones that are very small.

Don't know about St. Andrews

You'll be okay at the Castle & Snowdonia. Mostly bus. The walking at the castle isn't bad, it's paved, and mostly level. Plenty of time, too.

ggo85 -

Thank you for your feedback about my excursions. I'll be sure to ride that tram at Giant's Causeway. The previous poster said it was such a lengthy drive. Well, I guess most of these tours have long drives.

Question: Your itinerary ended with Falmouth being your last port of call? It is the first one for our sailing on August 30th. Hmmmm ... interesting. Our TA advised selecting a cabin on the starboard side, but I like to face the port/dock. Perhaps it will work out for the best. Everything does!

Did anyone experience cancelling a Princess excursion onboard without a penalty? I wonder how flexible they are if you change your mind at the last minute.

Thanks again to everyone. I'll probably think of another question ... hope y'all have patience with someone who's never traveled/cruised in this area of the world! :)

You asked about lunch on our tour to the rope bridge and causeway- we ate a quick lunch at Giant's Causeway in the Tea Room in the visitor's center. It was nothing fancy, just a ham sandwich and coke but hit the spot.

The Rope Bridge cost is 1 pound per person.

No problem answering your questions! Any reason to talk about our cruise is a good one! :)

Kevin -

I just noticed that you are from Atlanta too. What part of town do you live in - just curious - it's always neat to find CCs in your own "neighborhood"!

Again, thanks for all your help with the multitude of questions! :)

Diane

From your review:

Llanfairpwllgwyngogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, which is Welsh for "Big -Ass Gift Shop And Tour Bus Parking Lot, Restrooms In The Rear". The locals will try to tell you the name has something to do with a tree and a creek and a chapel, among other things, but don't believe them. This is an example of Welsh humor.

I think you are very accurate! :D

We are practically neighbors!! Kevin and I live in Gwinnett too near Buford (in a town called Hoschton).

Ask as many questions as you like!!:)

Wow, we are practically neighbors - you're near Braselton which is such a lovely area. See you at the Mall of Georgia! :)

Diane

Archived