Thurston Lava Tube

Ali70

While on the PoAm in August I plan on taking the ships excursion to Volcano National Park. I was just wondering what the walk through the Thurston Lava Tube is like?

Is it a tough walk for someone who isn't very fit? I never realised how unfit I was until I walked up Diamond Head two years ago. So if the walk through the Lava tube is as tough as Diamond Head I would think twice about doing it.

Also, what kind of clothes /shoes would be advisable to wear?

The Thurston Lava Tube is MUCH easier and MUCH shorter than Diamond Head. The hardest part are the short stairs/ramp that leads up and down to the tube. Equivalent to about a flight or two of stairs. No biggie.

Spleen

my 3 and 5 year old could do it no problem....in fact, we took a mile hike down into Kilauea Iki Crater which is next to the tube...and in the rain. They had no problem down or up.

You cant even compare the two hikes....you'd be just fine in sneakers. Its sometimes muddy but an easy walk.

While on the PoAm in August I plan on taking the ships excursion to Volcano National Park. I was just wondering what the walk through the Thurston Lava Tube is like?

Is it a tough walk for someone who isn't very fit? I never realised how unfit I was until I walked up Diamond Head two years ago. So if the walk through the Lava tube is as tough as Diamond Head I would think twice about doing it.

Also, what kind of clothes /shoes would be advisable to wear?

Thurston Lava Tube is easy, part of the way is lighted, but you will need a flashlight for the full walk. Volcano weather can be unpredictable so layers are good and an umbrella can be a good thing to have as well.

I'm impressed you did Diamond Head!

Archived