Bundgee corded balconydoor???

Spinner101

Some hook the bungee cord around the rail and around the door to hold it open. The Elation had a hook to keep it open. On the conquest we did use the bungee cord at night occassionally. The room is quite cold and we turned off the A/C and used the fresh air a couple of nights.

I have read that it is against the rules to hold door open if A/C is on, as it causes stress on the A/C.

I thought most of the ships have a little micro-switch in the doorway that turns off the AC of the door is forced open......

So a lot of the cruisers bring a magnet to hold the switch down to keep the air on...

I find it disgusting and selfish......Can you imagine what it does to fuel costs?

Sometimes the air on ships break down and everyone is very unhappy.

Hmmm, now that we've heard of a couple ships suddenly listing and throwing passengers around.......don't wanna get thrown out the balcony door do we ?? :eek:

Bring a 2ft nylon (Not black rubber) bungee without metal hooks. It hooks on the door handle and the balcony partitions.

As for the AC they have switches. The Ship generates about 3 times more power than it uses. I think fuel consumtion is a moot issue.

As for the AC they have switches. The Ship generates about 3 times more power than it uses. I think fuel consumtion is a moot issue.

The ship generates exactly the power that it uses. As the load increases, the engines compensate by increasing their output the only way they know how: burn more fuel. Last I heard, the laws of physics apply equally to cruise lines, SUV owners and everybody else. So do the laws of economics: the market will determine how much of the increased expense for wasteful consumers will get bourn by all the consumers. And Carnival competes for the same limited amount of refinery capacity that we do. (To say nothing of limited crude supplies.)

Don't complain or be surprised when gas hits $5 a gallon.

"When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?" (Seger)

:) from what I understand is that either your door is a sliding door to the balcony or it is a open out door ..thus, you need a bundgee cord on the latter to hold it open

Some in one of the threads said to bring a bundgee cord for the stateroom balcony door...anyone know what they meant?

The ship generates exactly the power that it uses. As the load increases, the engines compensate by increasing their output the only way they know how: burn more fuel. Last I heard, the laws of physics apply equally to cruise lines, SUV owners and everybody else. So do the laws of economics: the market will determine how much of the increased expense for wasteful consumers will get bourn by all the consumers. And Carnival competes for the same limited amount of refinery capacity that we do. (To say nothing of limited crude supplies.)

Don't complain or be surprised when gas hits $5 a gallon.

"When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?" (Seger)

No, no, no! The reactor generates the same amount of power all the time. The extra power is used to cool the ocean in summer and heat it in winter, so the fish have an easier life. Why do you think the dolphins and flying fish hang around the ship, after all? Of course, uranium is relatively cheap when you can just dump the used stuff into the ocean along the way.

Hmmm, now that we've heard of a couple ships suddenly listing and throwing passengers around.......don't wanna get thrown out the balcony door do we ?? :eek:

An excellent point. In addition to the bungee cord, bring one of those bungee nets for a pickup truck and string it across the open door. :D

Some in one of the threads said to bring a bundgee cord for the stateroom balcony door...anyone know what they meant?

Yes I know what they meant and no I wouldn't recommend doing it. They use them to keep the balcony doors open. Not a real good idea. The other cabins on the same system may not appreciate the additional load put on the AC system and the reduced effectiveness in cooling their cabins.

It also lets in the salt air and sea spray. When we were on Liberty last Nov, there were mornings when the windows and balcony furniture were covered in a thin film of salt. If you leave the door open, all of that comes inside, get on, or into, the carpet, and everywhere else. It's not a good idea. On the other hand, at least if people are tying the doors open, you won't have to hear them slamming over and over and over and over and... :rolleyes:

Ken

Can someone tell me why people say to bring Duct Tape. Does this have anything to do with the doors. I must know. I keep looking for old threads on this and cannot find it.

Duct tape is duct tape. :D It has 1001 uses, emergency repair of luggage for example.

There was a door stopper in the cabin we wedged in the balcony door to keep it open.

I don't really recommend that, because it creates a nice wind tunnel effect in the room, making the cabin door very heavy and susceptible to swing shut on you and push you out into the hallway.

My advice is if you really want to keep your balcony door open, make sure you are fully clothed before you try to open the cabin door to put your room service tray outside.

Or bring your key with you.

Or make sure your hubby isn't out on the balcony where he can't hear you banging on the door to get let back in!!!!

:eek:

We just used out chair and only did this one night as we was AFT 8th deck on the Conquest. At 3:30am every morning they washed the windows above us and at 3:34 it woke me up. So I shut the door and it stayed shut except on the last night when we was having sex and got cought on the balcony and moved it inside. :D

Picture example here:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/158982045/1159098574044717972rkoNas

Sometimes there is a hook, sometimes there isn't. Sometimes the hook is broken.

Sometimes a chair works, sometimes the door is too heavy.

Sometimes the wedge works, sometimes it doesn't.

Bungee works if the above options don't or aren't available.

CJW

Each cruise, and each balcony door situation is different, bungee solves all.;)

Archived