We saw Bears!!!!

mark&donna

Radiance Southbound 7/1-7/8. Three day pre cruise.

What a trip. We brought our two boys 16 & 19. We flew into Brooks Falls from Anc June 29th Katmi Air. There were 20-30 bears. On the beach, Bear jams on the bridge, Bears at the falls. Being earlly in the season there were not many people. unlimited time at the platforms. The rangers said it gets very crowed in July. The weather was perfect sunny 70's.

Annan Bay out of Ketchikan (Southeast Aviation) Jim's a great guy. We flew with Larry. Misty Fiords on the way back. Annan is very remote. We saw a Brown sow with two very young cubs. 10 or so black bears. Close encounter with Mr black bear when we reached the platform. He was on the walkway waiting for us to back up so he could go down to the river.

Talk about pounding heart. Weather again clear and 70's. It was like this all week.

My main reason to go to Alaska was to see bears. We were a little earlly but saw our share.

Thank you BQ, Bearbait, AK Susan, Yukon.

We have been many places, Many cruises, By far the Besttttt.

That is awesome!

Did you book your precruise through the cruise line or do it on your own? I am planning for next year and really want to see bears. It is the main reason we are going back. Sounds like your trip to see them was great!

Thanks for any info you have.

Hi Steffie

We booked on our own. I called Brooks Falls myself and they set up the flight out of Anc.

In Ketchacan we booked on our own also. Annan Bay through Southwest Aviation.

A couple of things to keep in mind. We were there early in the season. Very lucky to see the amount of bears we did. Peak at these two location, mid July-mid Aug. Brooks Falls will be very busy at this time, with limited time on the platforms. Annan Bay not nearly as busy.

There are other locations mentioned on these boards. Make sure you talk directly with the vendor

you use. Do not book with a booking agent. The trip was unbeievable. Words and pics. cannot describe. Have fun planning.

mark&donna

My fiance and I will be in Alaska mid-July next year for our wedding and honeymoon. This is my 4th trip and his 3rd trip to Alaska, and we've only seen bears from a distance (far) in Denali. This time our top priority is to see bears. If you had to pick between Brooks Falls and Anan, which would you choose and why? Your photos are great! Did you need a telephoto lens for those pics or were you that close? Thanks!

Hi Sparkingstar:

We were very close. 10-15 feet at times on the deck. At Annan when we approached the platform a black bear was in the path about 20 feet ahead!

I used Nikon D70s with AF Nikkor 70-300mm. This lens is equivent to a 450mm 35mm lens. There was plenty of light so I didn’t need my monopod.

It will peak at both places. A day trip to Brooks Falls will be very crowded. If you have the time an overnite at Brooks Falls (Brooks Lodge) is the way to go. Many hours of sunlight and day trip people will be gone. Plan on about 500.00 each for a day trip. About 900.00 each for two, price drops for 3 or 4. Meals are included. Family style meals. (Buffet).

Annan Bay seemed more private. Day trips are the only way to get there, no overnites.Black and Brown Bears are there. Brooks only saw brown. Plan on about 450.each

Brooks falls has a time limit on upper falls platform.

Annan Bay has a viewing deck. From here You walk down a set of stairs to a lower smaller deck that has a time limit if it’s crowed.

It’s a tough call. I loved them both. I had to see bears. Check out other posts for other views.

Do them both. Have fun

Archived