SS Norway Status

Mark

News seems to have dried up on the fate and status of the old SS Norway.

Does anyone have any new and current information as to where she is right now and where she is going? I can't believe that there is nothing new on her status and that she is just laying anchored somewhere?:confused:

Best I can do...

Report submitted on BLUE LADY

July 14: The anxiously waited inspection report, on hazardous materials, demanded by India's Supreme Court before BLUE LADY, ex FRANCE, NORWAY could be cleared for demolition, has now been submitted by the court-appointed committee. The inspection team consisted of a 15-member team from Central Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB) and National Institute of Occupational Health and GMB. It took five days to compile while the ship remained at anchor off Pipavav Port and was completed July 12. News of the reports contents remains sealed. It is reported that if the ship gets the go-ahead from the court, BLUE LADY will be beached at Yard No V-4, owned by Rajiv Renival of Haryana Ship Demolitions Pvt Ltd, at Alang to be dismantled.

http://www.maritimematters.com/norway.html

Thanks for the link but that news is almost a month old...what is going on today?:confused:

July 14 was less than two weeks ago, not a month.

Everyone is waiting upon the Indian Supreme Court to make a ruling.

Courts can take a long time to decide to even hold a hearing.

Mark, bad news, rumor has it that the Norway has been towed and going to be scrapped. Apparently a boiler blew, they were thinking of fixing, and decided against it. I agree with your opinion of her, she certainly was magestic, and one of the best cruises we've ever taken.

The latest news I can find, dated July 27, 2006.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1820609.cms

It doesn't look good for the SS France/Norway.

For your information, it has 47,000 tons of steel.

Scrap steel is worth $93.90 per ton (as of July 2005 in USA)

Some math, 93.90 x 47,000 = $4.413 Million

Reprocessed steel is worth $263.80 per ton

Some more math, x 47,000 = $12.398 Million (as of July 2006 in USA)

Therefore, $12.398 Million + $4.413 Million = $16.812 Million.

Of course, the price for steel in India may be higher, or lower.

Who knows what's the value of the other materials aboard the SS France/Norway?

Yes, the norway was a very Majestic Cruiseliner indeed.. a more than wonderful ship. we cruised on her in 99 to the eastern caribbean. our first cruise.

sadly to say, when the boiler blew up, it killed 8 crew members, and seriously injured, that i knew of, one passenger whos cabin was just above the explosion.

many fond memories of the Norway.

FYI

This web site states when high tides occur at Alang.

http://www.gmsinc.net/gms/tide_tables.php

I would guees the opportune time to beach the SS Norway would start on August 8. It takes several high tides to pull the ship in far enough for deconstruction work to begin.

The standard procedure to beach a vessel at Alang is to put her engines on full speed and drive her into the beach at high tide.

And that's were the scrapers will have a major problem with the Norway. Itr's engines don't work, and tugs can't get it moving very fast. It's also a huge, heavy, deep vessel. I don't care how high the tides are, it will beach far, far out in the water and will be a nightmare to pull closer to shore. Those scrapers have bitten off a much bigger "chew" than they realize.

Just goes to show you what engineering geniuses they have over there in Alang! I hope they never get Norway beached...wouldn't that be an embarassment to them!:cool:

Archived