Scuba Dummy??

msdaniel22

Not only do you need swimming experience you MUST be certified by a reconganized agency. If you are not a diver there are some "resort courses" but if you are not a GOOD swimmer, for your safety, don't even try.

Several years ago CCl had a beginners Scuba in Cancun, no experienced was required for that. My Dh and 4 others all did a dive there. After that they were hooked and have all became certified. I did notice that with all of the ports we are visiting on thisupcoming cruise they were all 2 tank dives and Required a C-Card with a dive during thepast three years

I want to make sure your question was posed correctly. Do you have limited swimming experience, or do you want to know if you can go on an assisted dive?

If the first, zqvol is correct, don't even consider it.

If the second, there are places that do assisted dives for newbies, but that will requrie some extended time on shore, best guess at 4 to 6 hours. I know that was being done on Grand Cayman this year.

I want to make sure your question was posed correctly. Do you have limited swimming experience, or do you want to know if you can go on an assisted dive?

I was also confused by the question... kind of like, do you have to be able to walk to go on a hike? Scuba is swimming, would not recommend it all for someone that does not know how to swim. It would be called sinking otherwise...

As a certified PADI Rescue Diver. I would not recommend any sort of "crash" course in SCUBA. Diving is a dangerouse sport, but with the right equipment and training, it can be fun. You need to know what you are doing and how the equipment works. Diving is a science and cannot be taught in an hour. Breathing underwater has an effect on your body. If you ascend to the surface too fast, it can be fatal. The reason I got my Rescue certification, is because I wanted to know more about the safety behind the sport and I wanted to know how to keep myself and others I am with out of danger and If I was ever in an emergency situation (which I have been) I want to know how to stay safe and get out of it. My training has also helped me become a better diver by being more comfortable under water. Get that certification and training, good luck!

Do You Need Prior Swimming Experience To Go Scuba Diving At Any Of The Ports?

Again, you need to be more specific, but if you're asking can an average swimmer go scuba diving in a "resort course diving situation" - where you take a few hours in a pool then dive with a qualified instructor (this normally requires a full day's committment so keep that in mind when considering a resort course, in addition, none of the dives qualify towards official certification). Then yes, most ports have local operators that do this. You'll need to do some homework or look through these streams to find an operator in the ports you will call on. I personnally can hardly swim a lap on the surface (I sink rather than float) but I'm I fish under the water so diving works great for me. If you feel comfortable swimming under the water and have no issues about being in the ocean then diving may be suitable for you. Also if you have snorkeled without any issues then diving may also be appropriate but as with all sports, it's an individual choice with a clear understanding of what is expected.

Randall

P.S. If there's a local dive shop in your area (and there normally is), go talk to the owner. They're more than friendly and are always willing to talk to folks interested in diving.

If you're comfortable with snorkeling, by all means give diving a try. The "resort courses" are conservative about where they go, usually no more than 30-40 feet deep, and you'll know after that whether you want to pursue it further and get certified.

Archived