When in ... Shop for

We'll be on the Millenium 10/12 with my Mom (the shopper). What should she be looking to buy in the different ports?

Venice -

Dubrovnik -

Athens -

Santorini -

Naples (Amalfi Coast) -

Rome -

Florence -

Villefranche -

She's especially interested in buying gold jewelry.

Thanks,

Cher

Cher,

For gold jewelry, Florence is the best place. There's the famous bridge with all the gold vendors, but honestly, it's too crazy for me. I found a wonderful jeweler in Florence, Ugo Puccini. Beautiful gold items at very fair prices.

Also great leather items in Florence. Bring your Xmas list w/ sizes for things like beautiful belts and georgeous gloves.

Then of course, there's all the shoes and leather clothing and handbags. Also in Florence are the items made from the beautiful Florentine paper - these are inexpensive and make wonderful small gifts to bring back.

Houseware items from Alessi are less expensive in Italy as are Frette sheets.

We'll be on the Millenium 10/12 with my Mom (the shopper). What should she be looking to buy in the different ports?

Venice -

Dubrovnik -

Athens -

Santorini -

Naples (Amalfi Coast) -

Rome -

Florence -

Villefranche -

She's especially interested in buying gold jewelry.

Thanks,

Cher

Venice - I bought a beautiful hand blown glass vase with hand blown flowers - vase was 8 Euro and the flowers were 5 Euros each from the vendors around the Rialto Bridge. Also, lots of linen shops where I bought dollies, tablecloths and runners. Measure ahead of time as I had to do some guessing but I found the prices excellent. I also splurged on a set of Frette sheets. Tax back system works really well - we got our money back in Venice before we left. Just make sure you have your paperwork stamped by customs before you leave.

Dubrovnik - I also purchased table linens and I paid in Euros with no problem.

Sue

Sue... how exactly does the tax back system work in Italy?

Zebra

I bought a set of Frette sheets and they provided the form to take to an office (Exchange) just off St. Mark's Square. I gave them my passport and they took an imprint of my credit card (to debit in case I did not have the form stamped by Customs at the airport). They gave me the cash right there. At the Venice airport I took the form to a customs booth in the ticketing area where they stamped it. I then just dropped it in the mail slot close to the customs booth. I thought it was very easy. Sue

To Bermuda Longtail...an aside...I wear a gold Bermuda Longtail necklace I had made in Bermuda as a memento of many years going to Bermuda,but especially going as soon as I finished treatment for BC...what a great way to heal.Mementos from travel are always special,but my longtail is more so.

To Bermuda Longtail...an aside...I wear a gold Bermuda Longtail necklace I had made in Bermuda as a memento of many years going to Bermuda,but especially going as soon as I finished treatment for BC...what a great way to heal.Mementos from travel are always special,but my longtail is more so.

Cberge

Hope all goes well with your treatment and that you are here before you know it. You'll have to buy earrings to match your necklace on your next trip! Sue

Naples: men's silk ties, usually around $20 each. Great bargain, right? We found a shop very near the dock.

Florence: 18KGold, of course. Cameo pieces. Florentine Paper products. Personalized seals to use with sealing wax -- very, very beautiful and found in many shops.

Venice: ah, no brainer: buy a special perfume bottle, vase, any glass object that catches your eye. There are also some fine jewelry shops around St. Mark's.

Dubrovnik: didn't see anything special. Bought a book

Athens: beautiful copies of Byzantine rings and other jewelry that are copies of museum pieces. Wonderful.

It is important not to forget to have the tax forms stamped. If you forget, you will be billed later. During the cruise, I misplaced my forms and I ended up paying $117 in tax for a ring I'd purchased in Florence.

Cberge

Hope all goes well with your treatment and that you are here before you know it. You'll have to buy earrings to match your necklace on your next trip! Sue

I was just there in March for a few days for some R&R,but going back next summer for a week or so....The earrings are a fantastic idea.Crisson..here I come!!!!Thanx for the thoughts also..treatment over..on road to good health.

It is important not to forget to have the tax forms stamped. If you forget, you will be billed later. During the cruise, I misplaced my forms and I ended up paying $117 in tax for a ring I'd purchased in Florence.

Hi - can you explain a bit about the tax forms and how on earth did they find you to pay more tax?

Oh, Jane110, you bring back memories........my parents bought me a beautiful gold bracelet at Ugo Puccini in Firenze over THIRTY years ago! I bought something there about ten years ago. Nice to know that wonderful store is still going strong!

Could someone also explain how to get the tax back when you are leaving Venice via the ship and not the airport.

Thanks a bunch!

Fran

Since our cruise end at Barcelona, you can get your tax back at the airport, if you have more question, I am glad to answer at our CC meeting.

Cruise Junky: I will tell you what I "believe" happened.

I bought a ring in Florence at a shop I think was 'duty free' -- a really nice place on the bridge. I paid with my AE card. The shop owner filled out some papers and told me to mail them in to the address on the paper. This address is a "warehouse" of sorts -- to clear custom/tax stuff and to repay the duty free shops for the tax they DO NOT charge. (I didnt pay tax at this place.) I forgot about this and lost the paperwork. Two months later, a charge of $117 showed up on AE. I had AE investigate and their finding was that I owed this money to the shop as I had not paid the tax and I had not returned the paperwork for the shop to be reimbursed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

What I think, from the accumulation of many Euroean trips, is this: When you disembark from a country where you have bought enough to be eligible for a tax refund, you can do this from the airport IF the tax form is issued from that same country. Otherwise, say you bought something in Italy and disembarked from Spain, then you have to mail in the forms to reclaim your paid taxes.

Not to be confusing, but I had the opposite situation. I did not pay taxes and I failed in not mailing in the forms so the shop owner could retrieve what I did not pay.

Oh, I hope this explains it. If not, let me know and I 'll try again.:)

Perfect explanation - Didn't realize you didn't pay tax at the time.

So on a Med. Cruise.. you can get your receipts stamped in every country and then send in one mass mailing by Mail?

And... seeing as I'm actually english and travel on a EU passport, I should have my DH, the Canadian actually do this.

cruisejunky: I think that's right -- that you can mail it all in at one time. Don't hold me to this, please. Ask when you make a large enough purchase and the shopkeeper will tell you. Sometimes it is better to do all of your shopping in one store or to combine purchases with a friend, etc. We do this all the time so we can get the rebate. Have fun.

thanks for the tips on shopping in Florence! How about these ports - any ideas?

London, UK

LeHavre, France

Vigo, Spain

Lisbon, Portugal

Seville/Cadiz, Spain

Casablanca/Rabat, Morocco

Gibraltar

Barcelona, Spain

Cannes, France

Rome, Italy

thanks for the tips on shopping in Florence! How about these ports - any ideas?

London, UK

LeHavre, France

Vigo, Spain

Lisbon, Portugal

Seville/Cadiz, Spain

Casablanca/Rabat, Morocco

Gibraltar

Barcelona, Spain

Cannes, France

Rome, Italy

This all depends on how much you want to carry home or ship..there is so much shopping..:D Having said that..in London a English teapot,a Burberry scarf,tea,butter cookies..on and on.I could go down your list,but I would say anything from that country that would catch your eye and you really like.If you miss leather goods in Florence I would check out Cadiz and/or Barcelona for leather as they have some really nice coats and shoes.Rome, I would look for a pendant of Murano glass as it's small and they have some really pretty ones,and Prada. Cannes, I would look for bags of lavender.Of course clothes anywhere that you would not find here.Each country has so much to offer it would be hard to pick any one thing...but do enjoy your cruise and have fun shopping with your Mom.

PS.I forgot to mention Llardro in Spain,but some say they have found it cheaper on Gibraltar. I also realized you were not the original poster who was posting re her Mom,and since I didn't edit in time..have fun shopping no matter...:o

zebra: my vote goes to Florence for leather goods, hands down. You will see some really beautiful things there. In Barcelona, I tend to stock up on silk scarves as they are at least 75% off what you'd pay in the USA.

Have fun.

In Cannes, don't forget the beautiful Provencal fabrics, table linens & kitchen linens. Also, Herbs de Provence. My brother enjoyed receiving souvenir Grand Prix merchandise that you can purchase in Monaco, which may be a side trip for you from Cannes.

In Florence we purchased leather coin purses for folks back home. $10-15 buys a nice one. Every time I pull mine out of my purse, I (just for a moment) go back to Florence!

In Rome, two ideas: The first is rosaries and Catholic religious items from the Vatican. There is a small shop on premises run by nuns. There is also a nice shop across the street from St. Peter's that sells "Everything Catholic," from nice medals to the ultimately campy Papal golf balls. This place is called MONDO CATTOLICA. The second idea is Vatican postage stamps. As you know you can't get these anywhere else and stamp collectors will like to receive these as gifts. They have a good selection of commemorative stamps at the Vatican Post office. To get there, just stand outside St. Peter's massive doors, with your back to the doors. Go down the steps to your right (you'll pass the Swiss Guard on your right) and it is within 100 feet or so. (The post office there also has a table and chairs so you can sit and write your Vatican postcards, adhere your stamps and mail them there to get the Vatican postmark.)

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

thank you so much for all the grand ideas - and the estimated pricing. I was thinking I wouldn't even CONSIDER shopping in Europe b'c of the exchange rate. Now that I realize I CAN buy some little tokens for less than $20, I'm relieved. thank you thank you thank you! :)

Thank you! Don't stop with the suggestions, I've got a running list :D

Is Cannes the only place to find linens?? We've decided to go the other route to St. Paul de Vence, Villefranche, and Monaco, can I find them there?

Becky

Archived