YS Falls

rlyans

Has anyone ever done YS Falls out of Mo-Bay? I am having a hard time finding out much info about people that will take you to these falls. I understand that it take about 1hr and 15 min - 1hr to 30 min. to get there but they sound beautiful.(plus yiu would get to see some of the countryside) I understand you can go tubing there also. Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Rlyans

rlyans,

we have been to y s three times and loved it each time. It is a great place for a family, but be warned, the water is COLD!!!! you can see some of my pics at http://www.oldmedic.smugmug.com you might also look at http://www.barrettadventures.com Carolyn can offer you a wonderful day in Jamaica. feel free to contact her through her website. If we can answer any more questions about Y S or any other Jamaica questions, please let us know.

Oldmedic, Could you answer acouple of questions? We will have 10 of us in our 40's and early 50's Plus our parents 83 and 84. Would they have a good time just watching and just getting there feet wet? Also I read that they have tubing down a river also? From your pictures it looks like you have tubes to play with right at the falls. Also what does it cost to get in the falls and is it extra to go tubing down the river? How long does it take to drive to YS FAlls from Mo-Bay? and about what does Carolyn charge for that tour? Soo many questions (sorry) Thanks for your help. It really looks beautiful....Rlyans

rlyans,

I can't say whether your gp would have a good time just watching, but I would imagine the answer would be yes. There is SO MANY gorgeous things to see on the trip to Y S. The scenery at YS is beautiful, and they would probably enjoy watching their grandkids enjoying themselves. I guess it depends on how active they are....There are tubes at the upper levels of the falls to play in. we have not done the river tubing, so I will have to let someone else answer that question....It takes a little over an hour to drive to Y S. Carolyn has an encyclopedic knowledge of Jamaica and its history and shows a true love for her adopted country and its people. Everyone we have ever met while with her have been both interesting and friendly. we have never experienced the first pushy or obnoxious vendor while with her. The full day with Carolyn runs between $80-$90 depending on what we wanted to do, but that did include admission to YS and Lunch. When we go back, we will probably skip lunch and spend more time at YS or the hummingbird Sanctuary.(if that is where the people traveling with us want to go) If you do decide to book with Carolyn, please tell her bill and amy from Texas said hello. We have grown to hold Carolyn as a friend, and not just as a guide. She is one of our favorite people to visit with, and we keep in touch with her through out the year. please feel free to ask any more questions if you have any. oldmedic

• 3 weeks later...
Oldmedic, Could you answer acouple of questions? We will have 10 of us in our 40's and early 50's Plus our parents 83 and 84. Would they have a good time just watching and just getting there feet wet? Also I read that they have tubing down a river also? From your pictures it looks like you have tubes to play with right at the falls. Also what does it cost to get in the falls and is it extra to go tubing down the river? How long does it take to drive to YS FAlls from Mo-Bay? and about what does Carolyn charge for that tour? Soo many questions (sorry) Thanks for your help. It really looks beautiful....Rlyans

We did a tour (outside of the cruiseline) to YS and the Pelican Bar. Those two stops together were too much to enjoy the day.

Everything Oldmedic says about the beauty of the falls is correct!!!

Getting there is another story. We were lead to believe that this was an hour and fifteen minute ride to YS. It took over two hours. The roads in the Jamaica country are rough and full of potholes. Add to that terrible drivers and you will not have a relaxing day. We loved the beauty of the countryside.....but the drive was the pits. When we were at the second stop (Pelican Bar), if I had not pushed our guide to leave and head back to Mo-bay.....we would have missed the ship. The drive back to Mo-bay was more of the same kind of roads (not as bad as up to YS) ...yet just as many if not more of the terrible drivers.

My opinion, do not take your parents on the drive. They would love the falls and the beauty.....they will hate you for the drive.

It is after this particular excursion that we decided to stick to ship excursions.

Dan

txskier,

just a question? which guide service did you use? You do bring up some valid points, the roads are bumpy, and traffic can be congested at times, (just as it can be on any major freeway in the U.S.) We enjoyed the travel, guess after being in Jamaica three times,we were not surprized by traffic conditions. I am not doubting what you say was true in your case, but getting passengers back to the ship on time is one of Carolines highest priorities, and I have not ever read of anyone missing the ship because she (or her drivers) were late getting back to the ship.

txskier,

just a question? which guide service did you use? You do bring up some valid points, the roads are bumpy, and traffic can be congested at times, (just as it can be on any major freeway in the U.S.) We enjoyed the travel, guess after being in Jamaica three times,we were not surprized by traffic conditions. I am not doubting what you say was true in your case, but getting passengers back to the ship on time is one of Carolines highest priorities, and I have not ever read of anyone missing the ship because she (or her drivers) were late getting back to the ship.

We used Barrett.....We would have spent more money in Jamaica if we had gotten back to town sooner. We have decided that if Jamaica is on another cruise, we will stick to a cruise sponsored tour.

We didn't miss the ship....had I not pressed to leave the Pelican Bar, we could have been close.....I don't like driving up at the dock lines are coming up off of the pier :eek:

Archived