honeymoon cruise advice

I need advice from anyone that has planned or has been on a cruise for their honeymoon. My biggest concern is booking the trip on the right cruiseship and line. I am looking for a cruise ship or line oriented more towards adults. (IE not alot of kids running around.). Any advice or suggestions. Also, any advice to give to my fiance who is tentative about a honeymoon cruies? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

We wanted the cruise desitinations to be in the carribean. Also, I know this is the wrong board for this but we are considering a one island honeymoon as well. Anyone with any suggestions on that would be helpful.

HI: we are on our honemoon July 24th on the Zuiderdam. We chose HAL because of the age on the cruise line. They tend to be older and the line is known for its food and service. This will be my 10th cruise (first on HAL) I would also cruise Royal Caribbean, they are also a nice line. Stay away from Carnival and of coarse Disney if you are trying to do something quiet. Princess was nice but not upscale enough for us. Way to casual.....

Hope this helps, Good luck on the wedding. Things can get crazy :)

I, too, would recommend Holland America if you wish to stay more away from children. We are ages 30/31 and have cruised on Norwegian (twice), Celebrity, and Holland America (second HAL cruise coming up in November). I'm a teacher, and enjoy vacations away from kids. (Although I love working with them, I do need a vacation every once in a while!) We were highly impressed with HAL's little touches and special attention on our cruise with them this past Thanksgiving, smaller size, etc. Our cruise this November on HAL is also on the Zuiderdam, and we chose it for the itinerary (loooong time in port for St Thomas - which we will hope over to St John). The Zuiderdam took her voyage cruise in December 2002 - so a relatively new ship. About 1800 passengers. From the way HAL was originally described to us, some people describe it as a nursing home on the seas - but we certainly did not find it to be all that it was exaggerated to be in terms of "old people". Yes, the clientele is a little more mature, but we found others in their thirties on board.

If you are considering a one-island honeymoon, look into St John, US Virgin Islands. You fly into St Thomas (STT) and ferry to St John. Many villas to choose from or two hotels (Caneel Bay and Westin Resort). We vacationed there for a week in November 2002 in the ecotents and loved it - would return in a heartbeat (had to cancel our return trip there for this summer, so taking the cruise in November instead). We also married on St John in 2003 while on a cruise, so St John is very special to us. A good message board on the USVI: www.*****

We have pics of our cruises and week on St John on our webpage if it might help give you more insight: www.cmgoddard.com Good luck with your planning!! :)

I got married last year on board the Explorer of the Seas. Have you ever considered getting married on a ship? Although we had a wonderful time on board and loved the shore excursions I am hesitant to suggest booking a wedding with Royal Romance. The wedding company for Royal Caribbean. The company itself is very disorganized and very frustrating to deal with. The "wedding coordinators" seem to be very young, ditzy, clueless girls that don't understand all the pressure and stress a bride is under. That being said, I have heard good and bad experiences booking a wedding on a ship with the ship's wedding company and island wedding companies not affiliated with the cruise shiip.

I would advise lots of research before booking a cruise for your honeymoon. We boarded our ship on Dec 6th 2003 and didn't notice too many kids around. There was a separate pool/jacuzzi area for adults only, age 16 and older. I did see one day when a family was politlely asked to leave the pool because their kids were under 16. Choose to cruise away from kid friendly times, holidays especially Christmas, New Years, summer and March break and reading week in Februrary.

Hope this helps.:)

We are honeymooning on Celebrity Summit at the end of the month! We can't wait. Cruise Tour #2 to Alaska!

I've read that Celebrity is an older crowd.

A FANTASTIC book that helped us choose was "Fromers, Alaska Ports of Call" or something like that. It gave a break down of each cruise line and all the ships to our destination of Alaska, with pros and cons on EVERYTHING you can think of. From Food, to age groups, to rooms, to service, etc. Very helpful! SO much information.:eek:

I'd try to narrow down your destination and then stop by the Barne's and Noble's and check out the book.

Archived