Review of children's program on Celebrity Infinity to Alaska

3FCC

I just wanted to comment on the children's programming on the Infinity (July 9 - 16, 2006) since Celebrity is not often discussed with regards to kids. My husband had a meeting on board so that dictated which ship we were cruising on.

I was a little nervous bringing my three (6 months, 3 years and 5 years) to Alaska especially on a less "family-oriented ship". However, it worked out really well. There were over 300 young ones, including about 100 teens, on our trip. The "Fun Factory" was great and was actually much bigger than I thought it would be (including a tv area, ball pit/slide, games room, another area for large group activities, and lots of computers set up in the connecting hallways - they do have a small outside pool area but it wasn't filled). The "Fun Factory" was open from 9 am to 10 pm and then with a pj party from 10pm to midnight or 1 am?? My kids didn't go past 8pm so I'm not sure. Organized activities seemed to be from 9 to noon, and then again from 2-5pm and 7-10 pm. From noon to 2pm and 5pm to 7pm ,the Fun Factory was open but without organized activities - usually "Leapster" games or movies/tv.

My two oldest were in the 3-6 year group and they really enjoyed all the activites (e.g., Robert Munsh stories and activitiesp; Pirate hunt for treasure; Talent show). My 3 year old was sometimes a little scared (e.g., when they were talking about sharks or watching a superhero movie) so a counsellor would find another activity to do with her or they called me once when she missed mum. The kids loved the "Fun Factory" and were usually there a couple hours a day at different times. There were a couple dinner parties organized for them and they went to one and had lots of fun - the 2 hour dinners in the dining room were a bit long for them! There were probably about 12 kids in their age group with different groupings at different times. I did notice one mum in the play area with her toddler so that may be an option for those under 3. Most of the counsellors were friendly and seemed to relate well to the children.

The baby had a great time as well as lots of people stopped to smile at her - she is very social and loves people. There were several other infants on board, the littlest at 3 months.

It was also nice and sunny on our trip and we used the outside pools several times. They are quite warm and the kids had fun. The covered inside pools are only for guests over 18 years of age.

Overall, we had a good time. It is different crusing with kids but it is lots of fun. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask - although my memory is not really what is used to be and I don't often have tons of time to check cruise critic!

Our family fournd the kid's club on Celebrity's Galaxy to be exactly the same as you have described. Nice to know that the line is consistent in their offering. Our dd loved the entire staff and had a much better experience than she did with HAL.

I will be posting on my website, besides photos, scans of each days kid's club activities for the 12 nights we sailed last year. Will keep everyone posted when I finally get them up on the site.

Thanks for the review! I have sailed on the Infinity before (without kids) and wondered what the kids programs were like. The only thing that makes me nervous is that the kids programs are 'seasonal'. I'm glad that you had such a good experience because as an adult Celebrity is my favorite cruise line and I'd love to take the kids!

• 1 month later...

We sailed the Infinity to Alaska (8/6-8/13/06) with 2 kids ages 5 and 9. There were plenty of kids on board and our kids enjoyed the Fun Factory. Our kids had been on the Caribbean Princess last summer so they had that to compare. Our 9 year old preferred the Princess program just because there was more "free time" whereas the Celebrity program had more directed activities, e.g., now you are going to make bracelets, next you are going to watch a movie. etc. Our 5 year old loved the Fun Factory. In fact, at dinner I would usually order her entree while the rest of us had our appetizers, salads, etc. She'd finish her entree and then I'd hop on the elevator for a quick ride to the Fun Factory and drop her off. Then I'd zip back down to the dining room for my entree. It worked very well.

One night we went to the specialty restaurant, the SS United States, and so I signed the kids up for dinner with the kids program. That worked fine too. I would not hesitate to take my kids on Celebrity again.

Archived