Golf Questions

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me with a couple of golf related questions.

My dh is an avid golfer and is probably going to sign up for the Mahogany Run excursion in St. Thomas. If he brings his clubs along, will we have to find a place in the stateroom for them? Will they store the clubs elsewhere on the ship? Is there actually room in our cabin for the clubs...we are in a D1 1388 and there are 4 of us in the room.

Also, we are doing the Eastern Carribean itinerary (San Juan, St. Martin, St. Thomas and Labadee). Does anyone know of any other golfing available at any of these ports. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me with a couple of golf related questions.

My dh is an avid golfer and is probably going to sign up for the Mahogany Run excursion in St. Thomas. If he brings his clubs along, will we have to find a place in the stateroom for them? Will they store the clubs elsewhere on the ship? Is there actually room in our cabin for the clubs...we are in a D1 1388 and there are 4 of us in the room.

Also, we are doing the Eastern Carribean itinerary (San Juan, St. Martin, St. Thomas and Labadee). Does anyone know of any other golfing available at any of these ports. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Kathy

it will be very tight in the room with a set of clubs. It can probably be put somewhere if you ask guest relations, but im not sure. I always dealt with it and let it stand in the room. So it depends on whether or not it bothers you. you can also try putting it under the bed, unless you use that for something else. Anyway, for that itinerary you cannot miss El Conquistador Golf Course in San Juan. Its located at Wyndham El Conquistador Resort about 45 minutes from the pier. It is one of my favorite courses in the world, and ive played all over. im a 2 handicap, so i know good golf courses. It will be very memorable for you guys. Just take a taxi both ways, you should have plenty of time.

P.S. How about that Tiger Woods!

I don't know the answer to your question, but make sure he makes a reservation for the golf simulator (if you cruise voyager class), something I wish I would have done on the Mariner back in May.

Can you give me anymore information about the golf simulator? Is there one on the Explorer of the Seas? Is there a charge and how do you make reservations for it?

Thanks,

Kathy

Can you give me anymore information about the golf simulator? Is there one on the Explorer of the Seas? Is there a charge and how do you make reservations for it?

Thanks,

Kathy

Yes there is one on the explorer (as far as I know). I dont think that there is a charge, but again I could be wrong. As far as reservations go, I am not sure about that either. However on the sports deck there is a little stand where you rent your roller skates and things. You may be able to make on there.

Can anyone else chime in, as everything I just said were educated guesses.

Thanks,

Kathy

yes there is a charge to use the simulator. I think its like $30 an hour or so. Maybe a little more, but yes they do charge. Also, i wouldnt use the simulator if they paid me! Its the most awful piece of technology ever made. This goes for all of their ships. I dont know why its so difficult to make an accurate simulator. And im not being picky...this thing is awful. If you hit your 7iron 150 yards (or whatever you hit it) it will say the shot went 40 yards left. It doesnt make sense and moves ever so slowly.

lol.

Well I was wrong, and am surprised to hear this. Guess I won't be using this next May:rolleyes:

I have never seen a good golf simulator before. The one we have here at the local golf shop here is always broken. Oh well, I like the driving range better anyways:D

My DH too is an avid golfer and has played MR 2 times while cruising, the first time he brought his clubs from home & said he wouldn't do so again.

There really isn't a lot of storage room for them that isn't better used up by necessities. So last year while on the Explorer he rented, said it was great. He brought golf shoes, balls, tees & a glove from home, a lot easier to handle and one less big cumbersome bag to deal with. He also played the simulator, & it seems to me the price was around $30. per hour, i know that they weren't overy impressed but they didn't expect it to be like the real thing anyways. He thoroughly enjoys the golf packages while cruising as you are picked-up right at the ship early in the am, they take you to th course & are there at the end of the day to bring you back. I always insist that he plays whenever we're anywhere that there's a course, it entitles me to a little guilt free shopping while he's playing. Cheers!

Dont know about keeping clubs in the cabin, but just for conveinence and extra luggage allowance payments, I would suggest hiring a set. All good courses will have a good set to hire,if not on the ship itself - suitable for even single handicap players.

Kathy,

Before booking golf thru the cruise line, check out the Mahogany Run website and see what the cost would be if you book on your on. My DS and DH golf at least once on every cruise, and they just book on their own directly with the course and get a cab, etc. to the course from the pier.. The cost seems to be lower when they book themselves, and they try to tee off before the group from the ship so that they don't get backed up on the course.

Also tell them that if you ever do a southern itinerary, make sure they golf Sandy Lane in Barbados. This one is their hands down favorite. When they golfed there on our 2004 cruise, Tiger was their planning his wedding!

Kathy, My husband also likes to play golf in places he has never played before, the room steward has always been very helpful in storiing his clubs. The times we have taken golf clubs with us we just ask our room steward to stow them until the night before my husband is scheduled to play and we remind him that day to bring them that evening so my husband can get them ready. Kathy, just to let you know my husband played Mahogany Run and he did'nt enjoy it as much as he did playing in Grand Cayman and Jamaica. Hope this helps.

Archived