Independence Day

Mystaken

Serenade of the Seas will be in port on November 30. Can anyone give me details about what to expect. I understand there will be a parade and a creative arts festival? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
Serenade of the Seas will be in port on November 30. Can anyone give me details about what to expect. I understand there will be a parade and a creative arts festival? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

There probably will not be much else going on Independence day beside the parade. The National Festival of Creative Arts(NIFCA) is actually a festival which starts around late September early October and really is for people in the island to show case ther skills...artistic, culinary and otherwise.

This festival is a celebration of our independence and the creativity of the people of Barbados. Unfortunately most places where you maybe able to see exhibits of this talent will be closed on Independence Day.You may however be able to get a glimpse of the parade...which is always spectacular.

I hope you enjoy your visit to the island.

Thanks, Keith! That information will really help me plan the day. What time is the parade and what would be the best way to get there from where the ship docks? Is it strictly a military type of parade? I'm looking forward to being able to experience your island's independence celebration. Thank you for your warm welcome! Do you think restaurants will be open?

Thanks, Keith! That information will really help me plan the day. What time is the parade and what would be the best way to get there from where the ship docks? Is it strictly a military type of parade? I'm looking forward to being able to experience your island's independence celebration. Thank you for your warm welcome! Do you think restaurants will be open?

Hi Rhonda,

The parade usually starts about 0700-0730. The last couple of years it has actually started not to far away from where your ship will be docked. If it is not there it normally starts a the Garrison Savannah...(another historical site which is now home to our local horse racing track,which is on the outskirts of the city) and it comes thru the downtown area.

It is mostly a military type parade but it does have some paramilitary and other associations in there as well...Red Cross, Girl Guides Boy Scouts etc...We have even had some American and British Troops who were on the island at the time participate.

You may mostly find fast food places open and it may just be one or two. The island pretty much shuts down on that day.

Hope this helps. I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Keith, thanks so much for the info! I read on the internet that buildings will be decorated with lights. Hope we get to see that too as we sail away. Sounds like we will have a great experience visiting your island that day!

Hi Rhonda,

Yes the buildings and the roundabouts(rotaries) are decorated with lights. Normally there is a lighting ceremony on November 1 and the lights say up until the end of December.

I am not sure what time the serenade leaves but if I leaves late it should be ok. All the buildings in the city are decorate as well so if you are downtown late you will get to see the spectacle.

• 2 weeks later...
Will there be taxis available that day to get to the beaches or are there beaches that are within ealking distance to the pier?

Taxi's will be available but there are also beaches within walking distance. The closest being Brandons/Malibu Beach...which you can probably see from the ship.

Great! I heard something about pink sand...where is that? How easy is it to get to? Thanks for all your help!!!

dolphincruiser...

There is no pink sand that I am aware of...It may have just been a case of at a particular time(probably close to sunset) that the reflection of the sun may make the sand look pink but the sand is naturally the most beautiful white sand you may ever see.

Hope this helps.

Archived