BA -v- Continental Airlines

Highly Sociable

What was meant to be my dream holiday has just got off to a bad start. Three weeks ago I booked a Windsor package on the QM2 in October and the booking details on their web-site (which I have a copy of) says a BA flight from Manchester to New York. The Flight confirmation has arrived and we find that we are on Continental Airlines, on a tiny plane with virtually no in-flight facilities. Naturally I've complained through my travel agent, but have been told that Cunard have used up all their BA allocation and if I want a BA flight I'll have to pay extra. Given that the cruise has already cost me an arm and a leg, I'm obviously not happy. Anyway, I've sent Cunard an e-mail direct - let's see if they answer.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone have any experience of Transatlantic Continental Airways flights?

I fly Continental in the US regularly and on occasion overseas. Do you know the type of aircraft you are flying on? Are you flying economy/business/first? My opinion is that it doesn't much matter who you fly these days - with security, cost of fuel and all the rules & regulations, I think all airlines are pretty much the same. The one good thing I can say about Continental if you happen to be flying business class is that it only has one premium cabin that they call "Business First" on overseas flights. It ends up being better than most business class but not as good as First (but cheaper). Also, you might want to go to a website called seatguru.com. It has the seating patterns for all major airlines (you need to know the type of aircraft) and shows you which seats are better than others in the plane. Don't fret - I'm sure the sailing will more than make up for the flight.

Gail

Does anyone have any experience of Transatlantic Continental Airways flights?

Long ago and far away....on a 747 - though you will be on a 757 which is 3-3 seating vs BA's 767 which is 2-3-2 - but both have a 31 inch seat pitch. Neither are new planes......I found Continental pretty friendly - and the time will pass quickly enough - the scheduled time is 7:45 - so with luck you may do it in under 7:30.....and you have got the QM2 to look forward to!

Peter

Last summer we flew from EWR to London on BA and returned from Stockholm on Continental. We were in Business Class both directions, and our experience on Continental was way better. It was a 757 as opposed to BA's 767, and I'm not sure how comfortable it would be in economy class. However, from a service point of view, they were much kinder than on BA and some friends who were on the same CO flight in economy said they were very comfortable and pleased. In fact, for our overseas trip this summer, we chose CO because of how pleasant (and with air travel these days, it is all relative...) our flight was last summer. If you are not flying Business or First, you may want to check with Cunard if they offer any kind of upgrade. Last summer, it did not cost us very much more to do the cruise air in Business Class (we were on Crystal).

you may want to check with Cunard if they offer any kind of upgrade. Last summer, it did not cost us very much more to do the cruise air in Business Class (we were on Crystal).

Our TA checked with Cunard about upgrading to business class (we are flying Virgin to UK). It was about one thousand dollars more per person. Needless to say we are flying economy.

Regards,

Sue

Continental are very good & I am very much a fan of British Airways & a member of their Executive Club, but last November when I booked a QM2 crossing I asked for a return flight to Bristol International, UK instead of London and Cunard arranged this with not extra charges or hassle.

They are a good airline and I was on a new plane with very attentive staff - the only gripe would be that unlike BA you have to pay for alcoholic drinks but this is not a big deal or minus point.

I am similarly taking a Continental flight next year from the US to the UK when I do another crossing with Cunard.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Thanks to everyone for putting my mind at ease. Sorry if my original post sounded frantic, but I was very upset at the time.

We are flying economy and as I'm taking my two children with me, I don't think an upgrade is likely. But as the first reply said - at least I have the QM2 to look forward to!:)

What was meant to be my dream holiday has just got off to a bad start. Three weeks ago I booked a Windsor package on the QM2 in October and the booking details on their web-site (which I have a copy of) says a BA flight from Manchester to New York. The Flight confirmation has arrived and we find that we are on Continental Airlines, on a tiny plane with virtually no in-flight facilities. Naturally I've complained through my travel agent, but have been told that Cunard have used up all their BA allocation and if I want a BA flight I'll have to pay extra. Given that the cruise has already cost me an arm and a leg, I'm obviously not happy. Anyway, I've sent Cunard an e-mail direct - let's see if they answer.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone have any experience of Transatlantic Continental Airways flights?

we have flown co since 1965 a great airline no one treats you better !!!!especially in a bad economy!!! go enjoy!! bon Voyage!!!!

Archived