Taking Nephew on Cruise

LisaL

I am taking my 15 year old nephew on the Holiday to Cozumel and Calica. We are having his parents give us a notorized letter stating it is okay, etc. Any tips on what this letter should include?

Thanks!

I just got back from taking my 13 year old nephew on a cruise. The letter should include the parents names and address and phone numbers. It should specifically state that you have their permission to take the child out of the country. List what ship you are on and what countries you will be visiting and the dates he is going with you. It should also state that you have the authority to make medical decisions for him. (You should also bring a copy of his insurance card).

The letter needs to be signed by BOTH parents and notarized.

If you google for parental consent letters for a minor child travelling out of the country, you will find countless examples. And some that you can print out and just have them fill in. If you email me, divetrash@hotmail.com, I can send you the form that I used, because I forget where I downloaded it.

All that being said, I took my nephew on a 7 day western to Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya. I was never asked once to show the letter even though we have different last name. Come to think of it this was the 4th trip with a niece or nephew I've taken and I've never been asked with any of them. But it is absolutely important to have it just in case, especially if there is an emergency. And I always carry it off the ship with me in the different ports.

Have a great trip! What a great aunt you are!

Laura

Archived