Has Anyone Ever Been Charged for a Lost Towel Aboard Ship?

I've wondered this for awhile. They tell you that they will give you two towels per day while aboard and the steward generally replaces these when you leave them on the floor of the cabin, but has anyone ever been charged for not having two in your cabin when you debark?

We've had stewards pick up some and not replace them, thus leaving us without two. He just gave us more when we asked him. So, I just wondered if anyone really ever had been charged, or is it just a threat?

RC seems a little more relaxed on the towel policy, as at the end of the day I saw quite a few abandoned towels on the decks.

I know for a fact that Carnival does charge- we were very careful to keep an eye on our towels and make sure the room attendent knew we were exchanging dirty for clean. But, our friends were not so diligent and were charged for a missing towel.

I haven't. We also had a steward on AOS who forgot to put our towels in our room one day. He simply brought us more, and we were never charged. Also during our entire cruise (we were right next to one the steward's closets), there was always a cart full of dirty towels left out while they were cleaning the rooms. It was almost always unattended as they seemed to leave it right in front of that closet and right beside our door as they cleaned the various rooms in their assigned areas. So I guess if someone was really in love with those towels, they could have stolen the dirty ones off the cart and keep the clean ones that were put in their rooms. Ick. No, I'm not advocating this. I'm just trying to point out that I don't see how they could have possibly charged for towels, at least on our last cruise. They clearly weren't keeping track of them.

On our Voyager ship last year I started out paranoid @ this and the fridge minibar(removing their stuff and putting mine in). I didn't want to be charged for things I didn't use or lose. My cabin steward very quickly put my mind at ease by telling me she was in charge of this and not to worry about it at all. Not to mention that there are towels a plenty in the fitness center shower area(seemingly hundreds of them) and on our cruise they were identical to the ones left in our cabin. You could help yourself and simply throw the used ones in the laundry bin.

So I guess if someone was really in love with those towels, they could have stolen the dirty ones off the cart and keep the clean ones that were put in their rooms. Ick. No, I'm not advocating this. I'm just trying to point out that I don't see how they could have possibly charged for towels, at least on our last cruise. They clearly weren't keeping track of them.

I don't think the $25 charge is to deter theft, but to make sure people like me don't get up and put a towel on a chair to reserve it....which I will. If you can figure out which towel is mine, go ahead and take it....its kind of beige and says Royal Caribbean and smells like 250 peoples' backs.

We never use the towels in the room. Once the cruise begins, those towels go in the closet, and stay there until the end. We just grab them at the pool or fitness center where they are always available. We then dispose them in the baskets provided and never worry about any charge.

I have never been charged for towels, and at times leave it on the pool deck and need one to shower in my cabin, I just ask the cabin steward and they know my routine so they just give me extra towels after the 2nd day and no problems. Speaking of towels ( I know a lot of people do STEAL them) I was on the Crown Princess July 2nd and while disembarking to get our luggage, I saw people with a shopping bag full of the Princess towels. Now did they buy them? I highly doubt it! If they did take them, they could of at least been discrete about it and not flaunt the full shopping bag on top of all their luggage! The nerve of some people.

I don't know how they could..... It seemed on Grandeur there was an abundance of towels near the pools for the taking (Not to mention the ones that are on the chair hog's seats!:eek: :eek: ) It seems that you could argue any loss easily... so If I "somehow" come up with EXTRA towels at the end of my cruise... do I get a credit???

Archived