Avis Reservation?

p0mpey

I have just called the Avis office in Skagway to reserve a car for Sept 10th. First of all the connection was not good and she was having trouble hearing me but eventually it got better and I went ahead and made a reservation. She just took my name. I asked for a reservation# or e-mail confirmation and she said that they do neither. Just come to the office that morning. This makes me nervous and of course I will call back to confirm the reservation at a later date. Just interested whether anyone else got confirmations or is this the way it is done and no-one experienced any problems finding no car available on the day. Thanks for any info.

I made our reservation online and received a confirmation either on the website or by e-mail that I printed out. I then called a few weeks ago just to confirm our reservation and they had it in the book. I didn't have any problems with the connection or anything.

My wife called to make a reservation a few days ago and they just took her name as well.

We plan to call back in a few days to confirm the reservation as well.

The way I see it, what are you going to do? Even if they do take your phone number or credit card number, if they don't run a tight enough ship to hold a car for you when they say they are going to, do you think any digits they take down are going to stop that.... :o

-Suntan

What number did you call to make the reservation? I tried to make one through the website and it said it was sold out but I would like to try them directly. I've read many postings on here that all said that they do everything by hand out there at this Avis location so I'm not suprised that they didnt have any confirmation info to give you.

I was reading posts from a year ago and several people recommended calling the Sakgway office directly as they often have cars available even though their website says they are sold out. The number is 907-983-2247.

I made my res. through Avis and then called the office to confirm the reservation. It was there as expected. They are a very small office and don't keep a lot of cars.

By the way, the address on my email confirmation from corporate Avis was incorrect. They are NOT across from the train station. They are connect to the Westmark Inn on 3rd and Spring--about three blocks north of the train station and about one block east of the main drag.

They said they have tried and tried to get corp. to change it to no avail.

If it were me, I would try to fax or mail them a reconfirmation of your reservation. I don't know if they have a fax number (call and ask) but their mailing address is PO Box 361, Skagway AK 99840. Written confirmations are always better than verbal ones with pretty much anything.

Your reservation is probably fine, but it doesn't hurt to put it in writing and say "if this information is not correct, please let me know ASAP."

Good luck.

I called and reserved a car for July I got no confirmation number and I didn't even call to confirm. When we got off the ship-Dawn Princess-we walked to the end of where the ship was docked. Turn the corner and you are on the Main Street. Take the first right and go one block. It's right on the corner. They open at 8am. We were waiting when they opened up. We gave our name and they had that I had called. The cars are across the street and there were several cars in the lot.

You should be fine but I don't blame you from doing anything you can to put your mind at ease.

I also had a car from Avis in July, I had no confirmation # but they had my car waiting for me. I searched these threads and found a discount code and was able to rent the car with taxes for under $50.00.

Page 3 of this thread should explain it:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=237726&page=3&highlight=skagway+car+rental

Basically you sign up for the Alaska preferred renter program under the deals section of the Avis Alaska website. (which I think is avisalaska.com, not sure.) You will receive a discount code.

I rented a car back in June. I called the Skagway office direct and they took just my name. I did call 2wks. before and confirmed with no problem.

My car was waiting for our drive to Emerald Lake. Beautiful!!

To get a coupon for Avis, I "googled" Avis coupons or Avis online coupons.(something like that). It took a little research but I did get a better deal.

The discount code was W046000, I was able to rent a Toyota Corolla for a total of 47.85 plus gas. Pretty cheap excursion and I had a great drive except being a Canadian citizen I cant take a US rental car across the border but I knew that before hand and I enjoyed my drive to the border.

Suntan Sailer,

Did you get a price quote for the SUV and van. There are only 4 of us but a SUV would be alot more comfortable than the medium size car I booked yesterday.

Has anyone found the fax number for them yet?

I made my Avis reservation for Aug. 28, 2006 in Skagway on April 17. I was unaware of the discount plans and rate code when I reserved (we seldom rent cars). I signed up for the program today (July 29). Any chance I can get the discount? Right now I'm to pay $74 (USD) plus taxes for 10 hours for an"intermediate" size car. Checked the Avis website -- all cars are sold out for my date in Skagway, so I wouldn't cancel my reservation to rebook. Guess I know the most obvious answer -- call and ask! Has anyone tried this?

Should I call Avis Customer Service or the Skagway office? Does the Skagway office have an 800 number??

Archived