breastfeeding mothers come to this thread

renata102

i am a mom to two children. Both were breastfeed until 7 months old. I breastfed anywhere and everywhere, discreetyly of course. I never fed my child in a bathroom, since who would eat where they go..... so for alll the mother nervous about breastfeeding on the cruise.... don't be nervous

. however I have some interesting reading (as I remember in the past some crusiers where worreid about some legal aspect it). it is not against the law. anyway here are a few links.

lisence to breast feed.

http://www.parenting.com/parenting/whitepage/magazine_pullouts/pdfs/btcard.pdf

interesting response from an the cover of Babytalk (a free magazine to new mommies. I still get one my son is 10 months old now). I read the article but this is what people think about it. actually people where upset about the cover. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14065706/

I think that the cover is done in good taste and represents what the magazine is about (Babytalk). we see girls half naked all the time with strings covering certain parts in magazine seen in book stores by children. Modern people have oversensualized the breast and forgot why it was put on women. to nourish a baby.

I am now nursing my second child. I along with you breastfeed everywhere. I have never allowed my self to be made to feel bad for feeding my child. The cell phone guys, at the mall told me that I should not be nursing at the bench near their booth. To which he was given my 15 minute talk about how I was decreasing the load on the healthcare system, helping the enviroment(I don't emit smog in the creation of my baby feed, nor do I waste paper and metal on packaging!) and creating a more intellegent population so that we can better compete with foreign countries. He shut up pretty quick.

I think the baby talk cover was abosolutely beautiful and very tasteful I applaud the editor.

That said Sara will be 5 months old when we travel on the freedom of the seas....I plan to nurse her where ever and when ever she is hungry. I will be as discreet as I always am. By the way, the cell phone guy spent 5 minutes trying to sell me a plan before he even figured out what I was doing on that bench in the first place!

And will be nursing my 7 month old on a cruise to Alaska next month. Thanks for posting the BabyTalk article, I hadn't seen it. Man, some of the comments people make amaze me. I've become a little more sensitive to the perceptions of others this (my second) time around, and I still breastfeed most everywhere, but do refrain at a dinner table with anyone who might be bugged by it (read: my inlaws). I'm wondering how it's going to work on the Whale Watching expedition - probably about the same as at a recent Major League baseball game (LOL). My main concern these days is my baby's distractability - I try to find a quite place to keep him from popping off the boob to look around at everything!

I have nursed my son wherever and whenever he needed to be nursed, including on his first cruise and on many other vacations. I plan to do the same with my soon-to-be-here little girl when we go on our November cruise. Like everyone else, I do my best to do it discreetly, it's not like I want people to see my breasts any more than they want to see them! :D

Traveling and nursing is such a great combination, especially because there is so much less stuff to drag along and less work involved, as far as mixing, cleaning, etc. Also, if my baby wakes up during the night, I can soothe her immediately (no unhappy next door neighbors!), rather than taking the time to make a bottle while she is screaming. Besides, who want to do that during the middle of the night on a cruise (or ever) anyway!?!?

Just FYI, I never got even a single negative look or comment while nursing my son on his first cruise (by his second cruise he only nursed at night in the cabin). Besides the fact that I was discreet, many of the crew/staff are from countries where breastfeeding is so much more common, and where people don't have such prudish views of the human body and its functions. And I think the passangers were just happy to see a baby that wasn't distrubing them :p If they even knew I was nursing anyway.

my2sons - I know what you mean about little ones being distracted. Hopefully, there will be somewhere inside the whale watching boat where it might be alittle darker and quieter than outside on the deck. That would probably work. Otherwise, just do the best that you can do. Have fun!

Shellie

I just had to add a few comments. I am not longer nursing. My youngest is 2 and we stopped at 18 months. Anyways, I agree, a nursing mother should be able to feed thier baby anywhere, while being discreet. BUT....some nursing mothers are just not comfortable with doing it in public. I am prime example.I could care less what others thought about my business. I am a very self conscious person. I needed both my hands to be breastfeed my baby. There is no way I could ever be discreet in public. When you have big boobs, it was very hard for me(I needed one to hold the baby, and one to hold my boob up LOL;) ). I have never nursed in a bathroom, but have in dressing rooms at malls, and in my car before going in. I also carried bottles of breastmilk in the diaper bag when we were out in public. I was not doing this because of others being uncomfortable, I did it because I was. I am a very self conscious person. I do not like to wear tight clothes or anything revealing, thats just not me.

So I wanted to comment on the other end of the spectrum. All nursing mothers do not need to prove a point and nurse just because they can. If they are comfortable, Great, if not..so be it.

I am apalled, but unfortunately, not shocked by some of the reactions to the breast feeding magazine cover. It is time that society stops looking at women's bodies - and particularly breasts - as sexual objects. It is this kind of thinking that subjecates women - where societies will kill a woman for not wearing a burka, will mutilate a girl in the name of "female castration", will stone a woman who is raped.

If a woman choses to breastfeed her child, there is no reason to force that mother to nurse in unsanitary conditions, banish the mother and child from "polite society", or make the mother and child's life so miserable that she gives up nursing.

The last three companies for which I worked (ranging in size from <200 employees total to my present company that employs over 2000 at my site alone) have provided pleasant, private and sanatary facilities for mothers to use to express milk during the work day. The malls and big box retailer I frequent provide "family rooms" with facilities designed to facilitate nursing for those mothers not comfortable nursing in more public areas. I attended a ballgame today with my DH's extended family - including his 2nd cousin who is nursing her 9MO -- the ballpark provides nursing facilities.

Most ships have areas that are lower traffic -- scout out some that are comfortable to you and use them. No need to become a lactation-commando! For the few people who might notice, very few are likely to object. If you do run into some neandrathal - let him or her know that what is happening is natural and wonderful - smile and don't let them bother or intimidate you. As for a child nursing at her mother's breast - anyone who could twist that into some sort of sexual meaning is just sick!

i am the OP

i am happy that i got some great posts on this subject. I hope that some women feel at ease with these articles.

I too beleive that people that are SOOOO against it has some sexuality issues (in some aspect or another).

but breastfeeding is to nourish a child.

i have breastfed in a restaurant (discreetly), on rodeo drive in Beverly hills (daughter was hungry), pulled over in the car, in airplanes, new york, on a beach, costco (on a display couch), in a room with my brother and brother in law and other in laws and my father. They never batted an eye. of course discreetly and someone always held the blanket up so the baby can latch on. anyway..... i had to feed her. if someone has a problem with their issues that is their problem NOT MINE or more importantly my daughters.

to all the women worried about breastfeeding, do it!

In total agreement here! I also breastfed my two sons - weaned 14 month-old when he turned 1 this past May. I was, however a little more self-conscious and tried to cover up real good, but that's my issue. But I did breastfeed in public very discreetly, have done it in a car, in a mall, in a restaurant, and like the OP, on a display chair in a Sam's Club. You do what you've got to do.

I think there are many other magazine covers on display that are much worse than BabyTalk. I thought it was a very beautiful cover and I comend them for it. From the perspective of a mom to 2 boys, I find it much more repulsive that society condones the objectification of women, young and old. I want my boys to grow up to respect women, not see them as mere sexual objects, which seems to go against the corporate media in our society. To the point where a tasteful picture of a child nursing on a breast is considered by some to be obscene because it does not fit that mold, and instills in some people a feeling of "eeewww".

I say go for it, as long as you're comfortable nurturing and nourishing your child, it is no one's business but your own!

Hi: I'm a breastfeeding mom of a 7 month old girl going on her first cruise. I also have 2 older boys (8 and 5). After reading different posts I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it to go on the cruise. The amount of preparation seems daunting!

The article raised my hackles, but the comments on this board were a warm reminder of the joys of breastfeeding. :) My son will be 8 months old on our cruise, and that child will feed werever he needs to. We drape my husbands shirt over me, or I carry cotton blankets, as the little fellow is way too distracted when uncovered. It can be a challenge at times, but so worth it. :)

Hi

Another BFing mom who will be cruising in 2 months - I've also breastfed my DD everywhere from a glider at BJ's Warehouse Club to movie theaters, cars, malls, restaurants, etc. Strangely the only negative comment I've gotten was from my sister when I tried to breastfeed at my grandmother's house in the living room! (AND she breastfed her daughter for 2 months!) A few strange looks, some positive comments. I'm not as discreet as I'd like due to my 40Es (can you believe I was once a 34A??) but I try - my babe won't stand for covering up and likes to pop off at ill timed moments but I'm quick with the shirt. And on the rare occasion if someone sees a little "nip" inadvertently, I figure I'm in the same boat as Janet Jackson, and she seems to be doing fine.

so true! I just found out I am pregnant with my third last week (not planned and still in total shock). I am no longer BF my 11 month old, but cannot wait to start again on the little one. a little tougher since I will have a 1 and half year old to boot, when the baby is born. at least my 5 year old will be almost 6 and she has her own life :) it will be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I BF'd my DS1 until he was 13 1/2 mos. DS2 is now 8 mos and still BFing. I plan to until he's a year old or so.

QUESTION: Are any of you bringing your breast pump on your cruise?

We went to Hawaii when DS1 was only 3 mos old. I brought my PIS breast pump to help relieve engorgement and to have that occasional "emergency" bottle of BM. It was kind of a PITA to bring it along, actually.

This time, I'm debating if I should bring it again. We do plan on leaving DS2 in the nursery every day for no more than 2-3 hours so DH and I can have some alone time together. I can go long stretches without BFing and not get too engorged or hurt my milk supply. DS2 doesn't drink much from a bottle, anyway, since he's been on solids. He does nurse well! I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to have an emergency bottle of BM just in case. I also thought about bringing formula if I don't bring my pump. He's never had formula before, though. I'm also trying to figure out how I can bring frozen BM with me. That would be nice. Then I wouldn't bring my pump!

Anyway, just wondering what you all think. :confused:

Thanks!

I BF'd my DS1 until he was 13 1/2 mos. DS2 is now 8 mos and still BFing. I plan to until he's a year old or so.

QUESTION: Are any of you bringing your breast pump on your cruise?

We went to Hawaii when DS1 was only 3 mos old. I brought my PIS breast pump to help relieve engorgement and to have that occasional "emergency" bottle of BM. It was kind of a PITA to bring it along, actually.

This time, I'm debating if I should bring it again. We do plan on leaving DS2 in the nursery every day for no more than 2-3 hours so DH and I can have some alone time together. I can go long stretches without BFing and not get too engorged or hurt my milk supply. DS2 doesn't drink much from a bottle, anyway, since he's been on solids. He does nurse well! I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to have an emergency bottle of BM just in case. I also thought about bringing formula if I don't bring my pump. He's never had formula before, though. I'm also trying to figure out how I can bring frozen BM with me. That would be nice. Then I wouldn't bring my pump!

Anyway, just wondering what you all think. :confused:

Thanks!

In October he'll be 10 months, right? Maybe by then he'll be OK with a bottle of juice or water at the nursery? I'm not sure if my son would have gone for that or not, but each kid is different. If not, maybe try bringing along a small hand pump?

Hope you have a great trip!

I would reccommend a hand pump if anything. Your baby may not take the formula or may not be able to tolerate it. Your vacation is not the time to find out if you baby has a milk allergy. My PIS came with a hand pump. Its just a yellow barrel that attaches to the cones from the pump. See if you either have this or can buy the attachement from Medela. Good Luck!

Kim

In October he'll be 10 months, right? Maybe by then he'll be OK with a bottle of juice or water at the nursery?

Yes, DS will be 10 mos when we cruise in October. Good idea about juice. Gerber has those little bottles of juice that we could bring. I think we'll try it out next month.

I would reccommend a hand pump if anything. Your baby may not take the formula or may not be able to tolerate it. Your vacation is not the time to find out if you baby has a milk allergy. My PIS came with a hand pump. Its just a yellow barrel that attaches to the cones from the pump. See if you either have this or can buy the attachement from Medela. Good Luck!

I'm sure I have that hand pump somewhere. I've never used it! I've had my PIS for 3 years. I guess I should find it and figure out how to use it now before our trip! I'm also thinking we could try formula now and see how he reacts to it. This would just be in an emergency situation (i.e. I can't pump enough BM, etc.)

Thanks for all the advice! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still b/f my 20 month old daughter who simply refuses to give up. There's a law in Scotland which make it illegal to harrass any mother who chooses to breastfeed a child up to 24 months in public. It certainly makes travelling easier without bottles and stuff! Can't wait for our first cruise to come round!

Ladies, ladies, ladies...no need to bring any kind of pump. Two hands work just fine.

I've found that a mug is easiest. I hold the handle and express with the other hand. Gotta keep the nipple close to the mug (even below the rim), as those squirters go in all directions! You can really use any kind of cup, though. Practice it now and keep at it, even if you don't get much at first.

Hand expression is marvelous for engorged breasts...a few squirts and the pressure is relieved. I like to do it before the engorgement gets too bad.

Have fun on your cruises. Nothing makes travelling easier than a nursing child!!! I've got five kids and they have nursed everywhere...my youngest at 36,000 feet in the cockpit of a KC-135 Refueling Aircraft. That was cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello other nursing moms!

I am a "nurse everywhere" type of mom and haven't had any problems. Everywhere from Target to an NFL game :)

I will be in the process of weaning my son when we cruise, but I am pretty sure he won't be completely weaned yet (he will be 13 months and I am not even going to start pushing weaning until he turns 12 months).

Its nice to know there are others out there who nurse and cruise. I don't plan on taking my pump since I "shouldn't" be pumping anymore at that point.

I love the trend of more women embracing breastfeeding and for longer periods of time. This has been a great experience and if we have any more kiddos - I hope breastfeeding goes this well!

I nursed my two daughters almost two years each. I would've done it just for the health benefits. I would've done it just for the savings. I would've done it just for the convenience. Few things in life are so easy and perfect.

Shellie -- I never cruised when my girls were still nursing age, but I can also say that I never had ANY negative attention while nursing. I had a little joke about it: I turned invisible while nursing! The few strangers who talked to me while I was nursing were ALL older moms who said positive things about having nursed their own children.

Jackie -- Don't assume that everyone who nurses in public has a "point to prove". I never purposefully said, "Oh, the baby's going to want to eat in 30 minutes -- let's hurry to the mall's food court!" I did what I wanted, when I wanted, and if the baby needed to eat, I just stopped and fed her.

I found lots of places that were very nursing friendly: One of the mall restrooms had a type of "ladies' lounge" just outside, which was a bit dark and had comfortable sofas. When my second daughter came along, I loved nursing her in the dressing room because the older one could play in front of the three-way mirror while her sister ate. I could nurse a baby in a sling, and no one would even know what she was doing. It's really not hard.

One thing that might help a mom who's not too confident about feeding her baby outside of a very private place: Look for some of those great tee-shirts with nursing slits. They're pricey but so nice! Motherwear catalog used to sell nice things.

hi I am the OP! I just returned from the Enchantment of the Sea and saw several mothers nursing babies in the public areas. My hubby and I were happy to see that (as I am pregnant with my third and will be starting it up again!)! i did not see any stares or any problems! Be free and feed your child!

BTW we all had a great time!

Archived