Conquest: 1st Timers/Honeymooners Need Your Tips

We are a group of 14 going on the Conquest 10/29/06. I bumped into a gal who referred me to this site and gave me a couple of great tips (one being to buy the soda card $20(?) on the first day.) I also read up on the info about getting from Houston Hobby to Galveston...very helpful. Hope I'm posting in the right place. Thank you for your patience and help. My request is this: Can you give me your best tips on this cruise, this ship, the shore excursions, to-do or not to-do, any helpful little tidbits of advice?

This is our wedding, reception, and honeymoon all wrapped into one. There are no kids in our group and everyone is 30-ish, and loves to gamble, eat, sing karaoke, play poker, hit the beach, and see the best of the WC. Please help!

Oh, I noticed too, that people often refer people to other threads, but I have advance searched for the past two hours and I can't find one that really highlights general info/tips on the Conquest, and I'd love to hear from people who have done the WC cruise on this ship! Thanks!

Congrats & welcome!

The soda card is $19.95 + 15% GRATUITY if I remember right. So if you are going to drink more than 6 glasses of sodas per day(won't give you the whole can) & (doesn't work for room service drinks), then go for it, otherwise stick with the freebie drinks.

I really like the Conquest. Spent 90% of the time on LIDO deck.

Can't really comment on the excursions. 1 week post (IVAN) left Jamaica in ruins and Grand Cayman was turned into another 'Fun day at sea'.

Cozumel, I liked Chankunaab park. (Private $10 taxi, $12 admission and stayed all day).

This time we are going to Paradise Beach for a fun day in the sun.

Thats about all I can offer.

Enjoy your cruise!

The soda cards are more like $30 per person for the 7-days.

It's been a few years since I was on the Conquest. Plus I'm about 10 years older than you and enjoy a quieter day. However do plan to attend the Newlywed/Not-so-Newlywed game. You may get selected. It's a hoot!

As far as excursions, if this is your first cruise, I recommend going through the ship for the excursions. If you've been to the destinations before, you could arrange them on your own. I'd rather pay a bit extra to let the cruise line do the work.

In Jamaica, Duns River Falls is terrific! It's a bit of a ride to the falls but climbing the falls is absolutely wonderful! Another option is heading to Doc's Cave - more of a beach area. Margaritaville is another favorite spot among folks.

In Grand Cayman the stingray tour is a must. They have several versions of this. But they take you to a sand bar where the fisherman used to clean fish. The stingrays began coming up to feed on the waste. They're very friendly. The tour will get you close to the sandbar but you will needs to swim some. Avoid the island tour. We did that once. Once was enough. Hell was not that big of a deal.

Cozumel has terrific beaches. Paradise beach is a favorite of a friend of mine. We've done the Tulum ruins tour a couple times and the semi submarine (don't waste your time) once. Usually we just take a taxi to town and shop. Great shopping. Good restaurants.

You'll have a wonderful time on the Conquest. Congrats!

First of all, Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. :)

Sounds like you are your gang are gonna have a ball. We were part of a large group (14 also, I believe) and we had a blast. Conquest is a great ship. You will love it. :)

In Montego Bay we did the catamaran snorkleing trip, that does a stop at Margarittaville. Forget the actual title of the excursion, but you will find it. Lots of fun, beautiful snorkeleing, and Margarittaville is always a lot of fun.

I agree with The Sting ray City tour in Grand Cayman . Loved it:)

it was a really great experience.

Cozumel , I can't recommend any excursions, but getting plastered at Carlos and Charlies wasn't to shabby. *LOL*

Man did we have a good time there , especially when you have your own group Yee haaaa *LOL*

Have a wonderful time

Enjoy:)

You will have a great time, my wife and I did the same islands on our honeymoon. When it comes to your excrusions, it really depends on what kind of things you are into. In Cozumel we did the Punta Sur Eco Park & Snorkel. It's about 4.5 hrs., and was a great time. We discovered that we love snorkeling from this excursion. In Grand Caymon we did the Stingray City Tour, and the chance to swim with 50 or so stingrays is unbelievable. Jamaica, although we were in another part of the island for where you will be. We climbed the Dunn's River Falls. It is a really fun trip up the falls, and is pretty much the high light of the area. Go to the breifing on the ship for each of your ports. The can give sometimes give you some helpful ideas about excursions. Good Luck and Happy Cruising

The prices on the soda card posted here are amazing--there is a big difference between 30 - 30 and the reality of what it costs. more like $45.00 which is the price including the gratutity.

-- you can take your own soda/ water / wine and champagne in carry ons.

http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/carnivalconquest.htm

you also want to read about the other ships in the class.

Liberty, Glory and Valor to learn about the areas of the ships. they are all the same except the names are different along with teh decor

First of all congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I wish I had been able to take a cruise for my honeymoon. We went on the Conquest 10/30/05 for our first cruise and had such a wonderful time. For more information on the Conquest look above at the links and choose Carnival Cruise Reviews for other CC members reviews of the Conquest. You should find lots of helpful information there. :)

In Grand Cayman I agree that Stingray City is a must do at least 1 time. In Jamaica try to stick to the ships tours if possible and don't stray too far. We took a cab straight to Margaritaville and had loads of fun. :D

Buy Ginger Root Capsules ( Wal-Mart, Drug Stores, Etc.) for a preventative for sea-sickness. Many on these boards use them with great success. I started taking them the day before the cruise and through debarkation day with 2 capsules morning and night.

For a quieter moment with the new hubby, try going to the main lobby and out the doors to the side. This will lead you to the deck directly underneath the lifeboats. There were rarely any other people there and there are really comfortable lounge chairs there. It is a great place that gets you closer to the water. You can even feel the spray from the bow of the ship in some places. ;)

Have a great time and please take the time to write up a review and post it so others can read what you learned.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. We will be celebrating our anniversary on 11/2/06.

Come join the roll call for 10/29/06 and get the answers for what some of the rest of us are doing.

I also welcome you to Cruise Critic and offer my congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

I sailed on the Conquest last November and loved it! I agree with a previous poster's recommendation of Sunset Beach. Great place, great deal. You can get a massage right on the beach for $1 a minute...ask for Wayne. :D

A note about taxis in Jamaica: use only JUTA cabs with red plates (they are government regulated) and agree on a fare before you get in the cab. Also, for taxi fare in all the ports, bring plenty of small bills; unscrupulous drivers will claim they do not have change so they can keep the difference.

I can't comment much on Grand Cayman; our two excursions there went awry. (You can read about it in my review in the Reviews section of these boards if you are interested.)

In Cozumel, it was soon after Wilma struck, so our excursion was cancelled. We went shopping and had lunch at a restaurant near where we tendered in. Great shopping...and they are willing to bargain.

If you think of any specific questions, fire away!

Here is wishing you a marvelous honeymoon aboard the lovely Conquest!

Congratulations and welcome to cruise critic! My first Conquest adventure will just be the week before yours, so I can't really provide any "ship" information other than what I have read through research. Some things I have read repeatedly about the Conquest:

1. The Deli is wonderful There is usually a line, but it's worth the wait.

2. The aft balconies are the best.

3. The supper club($30 pp surcharge) is not to be missed.

4. There is only one table for Texas Hold 'em, and a wait list. Table stakes are 3/6 the first night and 5/10 thereafter.

General cruise info I can share:

1. The soda card is indeed $40-45 pp and not worth it unless you drink huge amounts of soda. And the ship only has Coke products, no Pepsi.

2. You can bring soda and water bottles with you and keep them in your cabin's mini fridge. I have always brought a collapsible cooler and plan to do that again. Water bottles on board are around $6 each. Yikes!

3. Bring an extension cord or outlet strip as there is only one outlet in your cabin.

4. Get involved with the organized games. My DH and I particularly enjoy the trivia games, the newlywed-not-so-newlywed game(you'll surly be chosen since you're on your honeymoon), and the weakest link.

5. Go to the Captain's party. It's very nice with dancing, appetizers, and (free) drinks.

6. Make sure you either attend the "shopping lecture" on board or watch it on your in-cabin television(it's replayed there) so you get the best tips on where to go and what specials are out there.

7. Get ready to have the time of your life!

Port information:

1. I always book my own excursions instead of going through the ship. You'll save a ton of money and the tours will be much smaller so you'll enjoy your time more.

2. Do lots of research. The ports of call boards here on CC are a wealth of information.

3. Make sure that if you do book on your own, that you will not be charged if the ship skips the port. Grand Cayman especially is skipped fairly often due to rough seas, and in October you'll be taking a gamble.

4. Jamaica is beautiful but can be dangerous. Stick with a group and don't wander off the beaten path. Drugs are everywhere and they are very open about trying to sell them to you. If you get caught, you'll get to see a Jamaican jail up close and I hear they're not too pretty. The government also has some corruption so this is the port to watch your P's & Q's.

5. Cozumel. Aahhhh Cozumel. I know it's touristy, but I have loved every trip there and can't imagine not having a great time. The shopping is wonderful, the beaches are great (I prefer taking a taxi to the back side of the island where you have the beach to yourself). Chakannaab (sp?)Park is amazing as is Excarret and the mayan ruins in Tulum. There is just so much to see and do you'll want to make a return trip. If you do plan to shop, Los Cinco Soles and Del Sols are two of the best stores for souveniers. Panchos Backyard restaurant (in Los Cinco Soles) is a great place for lunch and has the yummiest margaritas! Have a taxi drive you to the end of the forum shops and walk back to the ship shopping as you go.

Whatever you end up doing, you'll have a great time. 1. You're on a cruise, 2. it's your honeymoon, I don't think it get's any better than that!

Thanks a ton for everyone's help!!! :D Sounds like we just need to talke our own soda LOL. We'll definitely do the Sting Ray tour then and attend the newlywed/not-so-newlywed game (oh boy). I'm torn what to do in Jamaica still though because the drive to the Falls says it's two hours each way and I'm not sure if I want to spend four hours in a vehicle...has anyone done the rafting or tubing and if so, is there still time to do other things like Sunset beach and/or Margaritaville?

Thanks too, Donna, for the tip on the quiet spot and the ginger root capsules! Rhonda, I signed up on the roll calls but I obviously missed something. I expected to be taken to a board for the cruisers going on this trip. ??? It was late last night so maybe I overlooked it.

Texas green eyes- tip on the massage at the beach w/Wayne. Fabulous, thank you. And ldr4girls, supper club and captains' party, got it! Thanks, and thanks for the links, too!

What's the best thing to do on Day one on board? I saw someone say not to miss the leaving part (something about tethers? you can tell I'm a newbie :)

Also, a question about the cabins and categories. Is there anywhere I can go to find out if the assignments are good/bad? I read all about the prices changing and the group prices, etc, and now I'm keeping an eye on it. We have a suite, four balconies, and three interiors, but Carnivals website shows free upgrades from 8A to 8E balcony and from 4C to 5A. I need help here. Do or can I ask them for these upgrades even though they are already giving us military vet discounts, etc?

You all are wonderful. Thanks so much for your advice and help!

Congratulations on you upcoming marriage and cruise! The best advice I was given prior to my Conquest Cruise in May was

1) use clear tape over the luggage tags- I DIDNT and it happened to rain that day and 2 of my tags came off and one other person in my party's did also.

2) take a power strip. there is only 1 in your room and most people need at least 2 to get ready for the dinners. :p at least 2!

3)HAVE FUN!!!

Loved the Conquest:

- If you like seafood, don't miss Sur Mer on deck 10 above the main Lido deck restaurant. Lots of folks refer to it as the "fish and chips" restaurant, but it has a lot more to offer; the bouillabaise is wonderful.

- Keep in mind that decks 3 and 4 do not go through; you need to go to deck 5 to go from one end of the ship to the other.

- Tea time on sea days is in Alfred's, deck 4 aft near the Internet cafe; it can be hard to find, but it's a nice afternoon break.

- Jamaica - We did the Overland Tour and Black River Safari through Carnival. Three hours in a tour bus over bumpy roads, but Black River was great.

- Cozumel - we went to Cozumel Mini Golf in the morning, then took a cab to Paradise Beach for lunch and swimming - had a great time at both.

We are a group of 14 going on the Conquest 10/29/06. I bumped into a gal who referred me to this site and gave me a couple of great tips (one being to buy the soda card $20(?) on the first day.) I also read up on the info about getting from Houston Hobby to Galveston...very helpful. Hope I'm posting in the right place. Thank you for your patience and help. My request is this: Can you give me your best tips on this cruise, this ship, the shore excursions, to-do or not to-do, any helpful little tidbits of advice?

This is our wedding, reception, and honeymoon all wrapped into one. There are no kids in our group and everyone is 30-ish, and loves to gamble, eat, sing karaoke, play poker, hit the beach, and see the best of the WC. Please help!

Loved the Conquest..cruised in May...:)

Shore Excursions:

Jamaica..."margueritaville" fun...took a taxi van on our own...we didn't barter and it was $200 and the driver took us around the island, spent most of the day....should have gone to the beach

Grand Caymen...booked excursion from ship....went to 7 mile beach but were told by our driver what time to leave the beach(thought we could stay as long as we wanted), we went back to the ship

Wish I would have known about CC before we did any excursions...live and learn, LOL

Soda Card:

Sorry, I don't know where my head was... Nevermind...

Here is the right price as of July 2006 for the Conquest.

$38.50 + 15%($5.78) Gratuity = $44.28

Might just be worth it to pack a few 12packs of your fav soda. Everyone in the wedding party can carry on some for everyone else.:p

There is an adults only pool, probably not unique to the Conquest. It located on deck 9 aft (back of the boat). We generally hung out there as there were only a few kiddo's around and none in the hot tubs/pool, plenty of chairs, a bar, and burger/pizza station.

We were just on it for our honeymoon a few weeks ago, loved every minute!

Archived