Where are the South American Posters?

Brahmama

It's going to be our first trip on Oceania also and we're finally going to get to South America after lusting after this trip for several years.

But I was very disapointment not to find "any" posters sailing to South America in January - let alone our date of 4 January.

Is there another place where I might find posters? I checked the roll call already and - nada!

We have been going to the Cruise Critics' get-togethers for about 4 years and have met so many nice and interesting people this way, I was hoping to repeat our experience.

Since the ship is almost sold out (we had to wait-list for a balcony) I KNOW there are people somewhere anticipating this cruise as much as we are!

Carol / Brahmama

Hi!

My husband and I recently returned from a wonderful Greek Isles and Italy cruise and had a wonderful time with our Cruise Critic friends. Although we are not on your cruise, one of my closest friends and her husband are. She has never written on Cruise Critic but they are looking forward to this cruise. They are spending one night in Santiago pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise in Buenos Aires. Their names are Enid and Alan. Alan is an attorney and Enid is a retired teacher.

Rhea

Dear Carol,

If its info that you wish on S.A., go to the "Ports" Section of this board and hit on S.A. We did the Santiago to Buenos Aires in 2004 and found lots of info there. You can keep posting on CC and also go to the Yahoo board to see if anyone is on your cruise. In the four years that I have been on this board, I find only about 10% of the "cruisers" are also "posters", but on some cruises the numbers will really rise. We had over 60 people posting on our March Nautica Beijing to Hong Kong cruise.

I think our friends are going on a S.A. cruise in January -- I will double check and find out if they are on your cruise.

Sheila

Rhea,

Thanks for your response. I will have to say that we are torn between the 4th leaving from Chile and the 20th leaving from BA. I think they are identical itineraries only in different directions. But I can get an assignment on one of them, where the other is only a "guarantee".

I know your friends will have a lovely time! Too bad they don't post on the board. I'm always looking for couples to share trips with!

Shelia,

Yes, Ports is a great place to get info. I will check it out! But I was hoping to find some "real" people so I came here first - after checking out the roll call and found "zilch". We are used to having bunches of CruiseCritics on a roll call, so I guess we're spoiled. But it's such a great way to trade info and learn things that make your cruise even better. When you find out the date that your friends will be on, let me know.

Happy Sailing,

Carol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our date is now Jan 20, 07. Anyone out there? The ship is just about full, so I know there are others!

Shoshona2, Did you find out when your friends are sailing?

Rhea, Sorry that I won't get to meet your friends.

Mitch, Good to see you guys are still sailing!

I didn't catch whether the 1/20/07 was the one with the guarantee, so I thought I'd tell you our experience last year was that quite a number of cabins became available at final payment date. In fact, we changed cabins twice at that time.

Also, there was really only one routine poster for our cruise--and it wasn't me.

Enjoy your cruise. Search this board too; there were several reviews.

Patlanta,

THanks for the reply. Actually we have been assigned a room. Not knowing the ins and outs of the Insignia I have no way of knowing if there is a room that would be better to move to! It is in the middle of the deck quite close to the elevator and it is on the side of the ship closer to the shore. (Always get mixed up about port and starboard!)

I will search this board for reviews of the same trip last year.

I am disappointed that there isn't more interest in this Insginia sailing, but perhaps they just haven't discovered CruiseCritic yet.

I have found some great transfer/tours but 4 is always better since we prefer a van. There is still time - perhaps someone will stumble upon this posting!

Carol

Hi Carol (brahmama),

I think our friends ARE on your cruise. They are out of town right now and I will let you know after Monday. Her name is Carol and they are very nice people. We are cruising with them in May to Serbia and Croatia.

Sheila

Hi Carol (brahmama),

I think our friends ARE on your cruise. They are out of town right now and I will let you know after Monday. Her name is Carol and they are very nice people. We are cruising with them in May to Serbia and Croatia.

Sheila

Thanks, Sheila! I hope you are right.

Carol

• 3 months later...

Hi Sharon,

It's so nice to hear from another person signed up for the 1/20/06 Cruise! Time is moving right on by now and with the holidays, I haven't been doing much research or thinking about the cruise.

This is what we are doing in a quick outline:

Flying to Buenos Aires a day early and staying at the Claridge in BA. We're going to a Tango show that night.

On the 20th, we have a lady who will take us on a private tour of Santiago and visit a winery - where we can have lunch or a snack.

In Puerto Madryn we have contacted a lady, but can't decide what to do there! We want to see the penguins (of course) but are trying to see which direction. She is emailing me back Wednesday (tomorrow) to give me options.

We have nothing planned in Port Stanley (it's never certain whether the ship will dock there or not).

Ushuaia - have read some options of things to do.

Punta Arenas - nothing planned here yet. It is another penguin opportunity if we haven't see enough in Puerto Madry.

We have a man picking us up for a tour in Puerto Montt. It sounds like a good tour and includes a Chilean lunch (?) along with many of the sites. The price is right and the number will be 12 or less.

In Valparaiso we have arranged for a man to pick us up, tour Valparaiso, and stop for lunch somewhere, stop at a winery and then tour Santiago before leaving us at the airport about 8:00. (Our flight is at 11:30)

I feel like I have a lot of holes in the itinerary, but that's all I have so far.

What are you planning to do? Where will you fly from?

Carol / Brahmama

Carol,

We are terribly behind the eight ball on this trip and have nothing planned as yet. This week is full court press time.

We arrive BA on 1/18 AM from San Francisco via Dallas/Ft. Worth. Staying at the Starwoods Park Tower.

Sharon

Archived