Jobs on P&O dance entertainer

Bedazzled_goat

Hi,:)

I am in year 11 right now. After yr 12 i want to study an agriculture course at uni for 3 years and then go off for a few years to become a dance entertainer. I was just wondering if any entertainers have any answers to my questions? I have been dancing since i was 3 (im now 16) and still dancing doing tap ballet and jazz and funk/hip hop. I wish to become a dance entertainer and just wondered what qualifications you need? is there any auditions? and how to apply for a job and where, and how long it usually takes to get a job on the ships? Also how much would you get paid? and what other jobs do entertainers do? I have been on the pacific sun N620 and loved it and some of the dancer there were doing activities like quilling and games. If anyone can help me with these questions, i thank you heaps and heaps and heaps!!!!

From Kaliya

Hi, i'm sure one of the entertainers will probably post here, but I believe P&O recruit through both agencys and directly for the UK fleet.

They used to post job opportunities on the UK fleet on their web site, which doesn't appear to be working right now, but its listed under company information if memory serves me right.

Not P&O, but another cruise line;

http://www.islandcruises.com/index.php?tpl=73&pg=floater

http://www.princess.com/employment/job_shipboard.html#Entertainment

I don't know how P&O Australia do it but P&O UK use outside companies to put on the production shows. The Stadium Theatre Company do Oceana and Artemis, CMC do Oriana and Aurora and the American company Jean Anne Ryan do Arcadia (http://www.jeanannryanproductions.com/), basically because they stage shows on lots of other lines including the HAL ships of the same design as Arcadia so could provide a ready-made package.

STC and CMC advertise in the Stage newspaper and hold auditions twice a year. Am not sure how JAR work but the website will tell you. The theatre company do not have any extra duties on the ship (they don't even have an emergency duty so are lucky enough to get out of safety drills). No idea about pay but you will end up saving a lot as there is very little to spend it on. It's probably comparable to theatres on land but you have no rent, your food is supplied, your cabin is cleaned and all you have to worry about is your bar bill (which has bankrupted several luvvies I've worked with). No idea about qualifications but obviously you need to be a good dancer.

I'd also like to add that almost all the performers I've worked with have been an absolute pleasure, very professional and nice people to boot.

As for guest entertainers, they are booked by P&O, probably through agencies. Anthony Radford is the guy to have your agent contact at P&O as he is head of entertainment (and a very nice man to boot).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask away as I work in the entertainments team at P&O (best job in the world) and am happy to help anyone wanting to join our team. It really is a great life as long as you can deal with being away from home for so long and very good experience for someone pursuing a career in musical theatre.

• 4 weeks later...

You'll want to check this out: http://www.grayboyentertainment.com

As far as production show dancers on ships go. www.princess.com

Princess Production shows rock! Plus you are just a dancer and Princess Ships hit every tip of the globe!

P&O AUS ENTS is good but you will be Dancer/Cruise Staff meaning you will host some activities throughout the day... (its good if you get bored easy)

You'll need a solid CV, Show Reel & Head shot when you apply.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I saw that one of you works in Entertainment for Princess. I am currently a Girl 1 for Royal Caribbean. A lot of my cast mates have spoken to me about Princess and advised that I should see if I could take my next contract there. I have looked ALL over the internet and cannot seem to find a place to send a video or go to an audition for them. Does anyone know what a singer would need to do to audition for Princess? What type of shows do they do? I would like to know this so that I might include the proper audition material for the tape. My contract here will be done in December and I would like to get working again as soon as January. You know how work goes, I am putting as many feelers out there as possible. I want to keep all my options open.

Thanks for you help.

hi,

good qualifications to get are things such as a degree in dance such as a bachelor of arts in dance which is a 3 year degree, performing arts certificate is good these are offered at places such as brent street school of performing arts which is a one year course. contact julie at grayboy for more info. they hold auditions once a year in various parts of the world, so be in it cause you love it not just because you think it looked fun whilst you were on holidays with your family. it is a big decision and a career in the entertainment industry should be pursued as it is a highly competitive career and money is usually no object it is done for dedication.

Archived