Help with the Dress code

smeyer418

I know what formal means.

I think I know what casual is(but please tell me to make sure)

I am unsure what semi-formal means...a business suite?

But more importantly my wife wants to know.

Thanks in advance

Do I have to dress for dinner every evening? One of the great thrills of a Cunard cruise is the sheer glamour of the evenings. Generally, evening dress may be either formal, informal or casual when your ship is at sea, and informal or casual when your ship is in port. There will be a maximum of three formal nights in a week. Evening attire, effective from 6pm, will be specified in your ship’s Daily Programme, delivered to your stateroom each day. Dress codes are defined as follows:

FORMAL: Tuxedo (or formal dark suit) for men. Evening gown or other formal attire for women. A range of formal wear is available to hire on board.

INFORMAL: Jacket and tie for men. Cocktail dress, dressy trouser suit or similar for women.

CASUAL: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men. Skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women.

The above is taken from the UK website. It doesn't seem to be at variance with the explanation in the daily programme.

From Queen Elizabeth experience, you'll stand out if you don't wear a dress suite (Tuxedo) on the formal nights. There seems to be an increasing number of passengers who wear white dinner jackets - I've seen plenty north of the Arctic Circle. Coloured bow ties are also more common than I recall in the past - but overwhelmingly it is black tie.

Informal is actually pretty formal. I, for example, wear a lounge suit for informal nights. I'm far from alone in that.

I've only ever had one casual night on Queen Elizabeth, when I wore a blazer. And a tie. It's as informal as I would ever think is suitable in the Queens Grill.

I believe the Queen Mary 2 has lower standards. For example the first and last nights are casual rather than the informal on Queen Elizabeth.

Here's what the Queen Mary 2 "Daily Programme" says:

The Dress for tonight is Casual:

For gentlemen, no jacket is required, a

collared shirt with slacks is perfectly

appropriate. For ladies, a blouse with

skirt, or slacks.

The Dress for tonight is Informal:

For gentlemen, jacket & tie required.

For the ladies, a cocktail dress or

dressy pantsuit. Dress Codes will be

enforced in the Britannia, Grill and

Todd English Restaurants.

Neither I, the "Daily Programme", or

Miss Manners (it's one of her pet peeves)

has any idea what "semi-formal" means.

Some of us do get into a tizz about this but the Cunard site's example of a daily programme (September 2005 Eastbound ta) shows casual for first and last night and formal for the rest! Has it changed within a year please?

thanks

heywood

We have just return from a wonderful 6 night crossing to new york. beyound all expectations.

impossible to go into all that happened. but everything was above and beyond what you might be expecting.

i am happy to answer any questions on the food, resturants, dress code etc.

and dispell some of the myths you may have heard.

this truly is and was a wonderful experience, do i have any complaints,YES about myseld , i should have booked a back to back crossing:)

Thanks in advance

Smeyer418, happy to answer your question. Was on a 10 day Caribbean on QM2 and here's how DH dressed:

Formal = tuxedo

Informal/semi-formal = suit

Casual = slacks and shirt (no tie)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Labor Day cruise is a tad more relaxed...it's only 4 days with 1 formal night. While DH won't be with me on this cruise I suspect that he wouldn't bring the tux...probably just his dark suit with white shirt for the formal night. I however will be wearing a full-length gown.

Hope this helps...see you on board in September!

Thanks in advance

For Mrs Smeyer418: I will have a floor-length gown for the formal night. On informal/semi-formal night, I have a pair of inen slacks with a silk blouse and dressy shoes. On casual night, it will be another pair of slacks with a blouse and sandals. Hope this helps.

Archived