Snorkel trip in GC for the NON-Snorkeler

Cruiser_Rich

Our family has never been on a snorkeling excursion other than doing the Disney private island cove, so one of us is planning not to participate. We are looking for a snorkeling trip in Grand Cayman where one of us can stay on the boat while the other two snorkel. Is this type of trip available.

I am not telling you which one us I'm speaking of, but it's not my daughter or myself:rolleyes: .

Rich, Stingray City is something everybody should experiance once. I've never heard of anyone being thrown in the water from a snorkel boat so your wife should be safe. Most of the operators on GC offer trips to that site, so be sure to compare prices and what they give you.

From what I've read the Stingrays exchursions are at the Stingray Sandbar where water is very shallow, I'm looking to snorkel in an area with reefs. Is Stingray City in the same area as the sandbar?? and are there Stingrays in both. What is the difference, thanks.

The "sandbar" and Stingray City are the same thing. Some of the boat tours will take you to SC and then to a reef for snorkeling. We've gone with Capt. Marvin [i wasn't snorkeling then, so can't tell you about that], and with Nativeway. We had a wonderful trip with Nativeway - went to SC, then "Coral Gardens" reef and then to Rum Point. Would highly recommend them.

Last year, while on a cruise on a RCCL ship we booked an excursion to snorkel at Stingray City ( through the cruise line). We paid no attention to the description in small print and ended up on a deep water snorkel (8-10 feet being shallow). About 1/2 mile from us was a group on the sand bar---were we wanted to be. It took a lot of coaxing to get me off the boat, but no one rushed me. So, I'am pretty sure that someone can sit out the snorkeling.

Captains Marvin's is a great company to go through. They go to a reef, still pretty shallow, and go to Sting Ray City, which is very shallow. Sting Ray city doesn't even involve snorkeling, it's more of a walk through the water and checking out the sting rays. They would definately let your wife stay on the boat for both if she wishes. Email them and ask if they can give a special price for just the boat ride. Who knows, it couldn't hurt?!

www.captainmarvins.com

But for you that are snorkeling, it's a great experience with a great operator. Great staff and it's anything but crowded, unlike the cruise excursion that goes to the same place.

Archived