Tampa - General Info Please

xntric1

When I was in Tampa a few years ago, I-4 was always clogged. Is this normal or did we just happen to be around during an unusual time? We had planned to get into Tampa 2 days prior to our cruise, now it is looking like we might not get there until the day of.

Thanks,

Donna

They have begun work (again) on a lot of the Interstates around here. I-4 in Polk County (Just S of Disney) all the way to the Hillsborough/Polk line is under construction as is the infamous malfunction junction (I-275 and I-4 interchange) in downtown Tampa. They have also begun widening I-4 through Ybor out to where they stopped (about 50th St.) and are starting work on I-275 near the airport/Causeway/Howard Franklin Bridge area. The next few years are going to be a mess off and on around here. But, as long as you are not there during rush hour or there isnt a wreck with lane closure, it isnt too bad, just a little slower than normal. I did the drive from Lakeland to Tampa (42 miles) everyday for 4 years back when they were widening I-4 in Hillsborough to 3 lanes. It was a mess and a headache every day. A one time drive through though shouldnt be too big a problem.

To answer your other question, there isnt a quiet time on the Interstates through town any time of the day.

xntric1, I-4 is pretty bad, especially through orlando. I drive I-4 to and from work and it's not too bad from lakeland to tampa...pending no accidents...but from lakeland, going east to the end of I-4, it's pretty bad. i drove that stretch last month and won't do it again anytime soon. like tadjr said, the construction is ongoing and going thru it might drive you crazy if you're coming from the other side (east of orlando). personally, i'd take another route.

I lived in Orlando from 81-85. When I went down in recent years, I was amazed! (And glad I no longer lived there!) We will probably come in from the Ocala area -- my sister-in-law lives there. (hoping for that free room!)

Xntric

Any suggestions for bidding with price line for a hotel in Tampa? Best area?, Best hotel/motel? Closet to the Port? This will be our first visit to the Tampa area and we don't know where to go. Staying the night before the RCCL Splendour of the Seas 4/2/05. All advice welcome.

From checking out the biddingfortravel website it looks like theres quite a varied response. In downtown many people have had luck at the 3* Hyatt Downtown. In the Westshore/Airport area 4* Grand Hyatt and 3* Doubletree Westshore/ Embassy Suites Westshore/ Radisson Bay Harbor/ Wyndham Westshore and North of town at the 3* Doubletree Busch Gardens area.

The Hyatt Downtown is going to be the closest to the port, but any of the hotels in the Westshore/Airport area are ok. I would suggest just bidding low for a 3* (or the 4 if you want the Grand Hyatt) in the downtown/Westshore/Airport area and see how low you can get a 3* for.

I dont know this far out they'd take anything like the offers currently showing on the website though. They got quite a few for under $50/nt.

Thanks tadjr for the information. I've heard that the downtown area isn't safe after dark, is this true? Is it better to stay in the Airport/Westshore because of this? Is there more to do in the Westshore area or downtown? What's the distance (time wise) from the Airport to the port? Since we are traveling spring break we need to make arrangements soon, I think. Thanks for the help.

Most of the downtown area where the hotels and sights are (convention center, the Forum, Channelside) are all ok after dark, but there isnt much else going on except at these specific places. North downtown (about 1 mile away from most of the hotels/port, etc, I would say to avoid, but you'd have to be really lost to head that way in the first place. Westshore/Airport area doesnt have much nightlife either (that is mainly in Channelside and Ybor), but there are malls and restaurants in the Westshore area and the overall choice is better than downtown for most things. Downtown basically shuts down after 5pm with a couple exceptions. Channelside is starting to attract a crowd later in the pm and there is a trolley that runs from close to the hotels downtown to both Channelside and Ybor. If there is a game or other event at the Forum when you are there, downtown will be busy and there will be more to do.

The airport/Westshore area is about 15-20 mins to the port (depending on traffic).

I wouldnt have a problem staying at either one of them. You can always get a cab if you arent going to rent a car and do the other if you find there is nothing of interest where you are.

http://www.channelside.com will show some of the things to do there.

Thanks alot tadjr. We tried priceline last night, bid $55 for a 3star in downtown & Airport/Westshore areas (3 rooms). 6 of us going on the cruise together. Received confirmation at Tampa Hilton Airport/Westshore. Happy about the price. You have any info on this hotel and surrounding area? Anything special we need to see or do during our one night in Tampa before we get on the cruise ship? Appreciate the advice & help.

Nice looking hotel, havent heard any complaints about it. It is located between the airport and the stadium area. A little housing, mainly commercial in the area. Restaurants across the street and the mall just a couple blocks away. There is a grocery and Walmart within a 5 min ride to get any last minute things you might need.

Not much of a night life partyer so not sure what you will want to be doing the night before you go. There are some nice places to enjoy a drink at the International Plaza across the road from the hotel. Of course the other main choices are Channelside or Ybor. The links, I think, are on the thread here somewhere, if not you can search them here easily.

You're welcome, glad I could help. I've lived here all but 2 years of my life and absolutely love the area. There is a lot to do and see, but unfortunately on my days off I'm doing laundry, groceries and running errands and not out and able to enjoy all the fun extras. I will live vicariously through you all!

From PIE to the port is probably going to run close to $40. This is considering the amount from TPA and then adding the 10 miles across the bridge and some prices from a couple of websites I've looked at.
You might want to check out [url]http://www.thelimo.com/htm/cities/tpa.htm[/url] and also [url]http://www.tampabayshuttle.com[/url] to see if they can give a better rate for however many are traveling. Super Shuttle also has an executive car instead of a van, but not sure the price. You can contact both of these companies via their website for specific info. It doesnt show St Pete/Clearwater airport being available on the Tampa Bay Shuttle site, so not sure if they have authorization to pick up from there so be sure to make it known that its the St Pete airport and not Tampa. Good luck.

Yes, I've cruised into Tampa twice and out once. One was a repo from San Juan to Tampa and the other was Tampa RT. Both on Celebrity Horizon. We were dropped off at the port and took a cab to the airport the other times coming home. I also used to work on Sun am at the docks checking bags for Carnival customers who were flying out of town. Unfortunately, we dont offer this service since 9/11.

Actually the thunderstorms we've had the past two days here are worse than what we got with Charley. Up until 1pm they were saying it was coming here and then in two hours it turned inland. We didnt even get more than about 1/2 in of rain. Inland is another story though. I feel badly for everyone there, but it would have been so much worse if it had stayed on its original course. They arent expecting power in some places for 7-10 days at least. For those cruising from Tampa, everything is safe, for now. Thanks for the concern though.

TADJR,
Good to hear you escaped without harm/damage. I agree, it could have been much worse if it had stayed its course for Tampa. S-i-L lives in The Villages, outside of Ocala, and she played 18 holes Sat morning (and felt guilty).
Thanks for all of your help with this thread. Pls keep checking it for other questions.
Donna

yes, it was a close one!! i can't imagine what would have happened if we took a direct hit. i'm pretty sure that the port in tampa would be closed for some time. one thing we all learned....no one lives inland enough to avoid a hurricane.

• 3 weeks later...
The outer band of the eye wall is hammering Tampa and Hillsborough County right now, but still nothing like Charley or what Frances has done on the East Coast. Just got to take the day off and watch the rain and winds all day. What an impressive sight from just this little storm (they say gusts here are only at about 45-55 miles an hour). I just cant imagine what Charley would have been like here with 140 mile an hour winds. And we have Ivan to keep an eye out for now. Possibly next weekend. Ugh. This is the worst hurricane season I've seen here, and I've lived here almost all 38 years of my life.
On a happy note, no major damage here reported as of yet, just mainly trees down and mobile home/metal signs damaged with some roofs blown off. Nothing damaged at the port as of yet so anyone sailing out soon should still be ok.

Archived