A question about wine

Freckles67

Since I'm allergic to sulfites, I can only drink wine that doesn't use sulfites as a preservative. Does anyone know if there might be some wine on the QM2 that is sulfite free? If not, I'm going to assume I can BYOB for medical reasons! :rolleyes: I hope this doesn't sound like a very picky question, but for those of us who have allergies, it could be a serious problem. I have the same problem with fruit base mixers such as margarita mix. These often have sulfites too. I've found that I'm safe with a Bloody Mary or a Screwdriver, but I sure would enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony.....

Since I'm allergic to sulfites, I can only drink wine that doesn't use sulfites as a preservative. Does anyone know if there might be some wine on the QM2 that is sulfite free? If not, I'm going to assume I can BYOB for medical reasons! :rolleyes: I hope this doesn't sound like a very picky question, but for those of us who have allergies, it could be a serious problem. I have the same problem with fruit base mixers such as margarita mix. These often have sulfites too. I've found that I'm safe with a Bloody Mary or a Screwdriver, but I sure would enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony.....

Normally I'd suggest that you contact Cunard directly, and raise the question with them. However their shoreside operation is far from perfect.

I can't imagine that Cunard will make a great scene if you bring a wine on board to drink if they cannot sell you something.

I'd start by contacting Cunard, and then hope that someone has had the same problem to deal with, and can therefore give you advice. However bear in mind that the selection on QE2 has narrowed - especially in terms of Old world wine - and that a very significant proportion is American, South African and Austrailian. The gorgous Eiswein that they had has gone......

Are there specific wines that you know are okay? If you give some of those as an example, some may remember ordering them!

I sure would enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony.....

If you want to drink it on your balcony then you'd be as well to bring your own - Cabin service can be a very slow, hit and miss, affair! (On the QE2 at any rate). If you want wine in the restaurant then you'd better hope that Cunard have a sulfite free wine. The misunderstandings arriving with your own bottle would cause would give you stories to dine out on for a year. (It could be fun to try it and see what happens:D )

My wife and I travelled on a TA on QM2 in May this year and it was stated that the Sommelier (wine steward) would be happy to open your own wine bottles, subject to corkage charge. So you should be fine to bring your own wine and drink it in the restaurant. In addition, we had a bottle of Champange that we chilled in our cabin fridge and the Steward helpfully put a couple of Champange glasses in it! I hope you have a good trip.

Eddie

Each time on board Cunard in Princess Grill, they have given us 3 bottles of complimentary sparkling wine in our cabin on boarding ( one from Cunard and one each from the Worlclub ). It's not the best stuff, so I usually give two bottles away to the cabin steward and I take one to dinner to have the grill staff put away and chill for the next morning and enjoy a mimosa breakfast.

My wife had special wine requests we called cunard guest services and made our special request and they not only put on a supply for my wife but they made it available at any and all bar or cocktail lounge she wanted and marked it exclusively for her!! call guest service they are the best!!!!

Archived