What to pack for Alaska in July

I would like a good list of what to bring and not bring for a July cruise to Alaska on NCL Star. Also, we would like to attend 1 formal night. We have 2 boys going with us age 12 and 16 - Do they need a suit jacket for formal night or is shirt, tie, and dress pants good enough?

For me (and daughter) 2 formal outfits, 2 pair black pants (one dressy, one more casual) with appropriate tops. 2 pair jeans, 3 pair cropped pants, one sweatsuit, 3 short sleeved T's, 3 long sleeved T's. Underwear, bras, pajamas, bathing suit, lightweight jacket, disposable rain poncho.

DH (and son) black suit, 2 shirt and tie combinations, 2 pair slacks, 2 nice long sleeved shirts, 2 short sleeved casual shirts. 3 pair jeans, 3 short sleeved T's, 3 long sleeved T's, one sweatsuit, one pair of shorts. Underwear, pajamas, bathing suit, lightweight jacket and disposable rain poncho.

Fortunately, my son's suit jacket still fits from last year. I think teenage boys at 16 and 12 can dress like gentlemen and wear a jacket and tie. If you don't want to purchase one, they will still be presentable. I always think it looks a little unfinished, but I can very well understand not wanting to spend the $$ if they will wear it only once. I scoured the department stores during a super sale last year and got my son (now 15) a very nice jacket for around $60. Since it did not have matching slacks, I paired it with dark khaki slacks and it looks great on him. He pleasantly surprised us with the fact that he loves to get dressed up!

I must add that we will be taking advantage of the ships' laundry service if we need to. In my mind it will be less costly than buying an outfit for each and every day, not to mention cutting down on the packing.

I won't go into the rest of my packing list as you were specific regarding clothing. Be careful of the packing lists you will see on these boards, many will have you taking many items you won't even unpack. You have to decide what you couldn't possilby live without for the week or so. Maybe go over to the Alaska board and read what other people are taking along.

Have fun planning!

I called Princess on their recommendation for my two sons (one is 19) who do not have black suits. One is wearing dark heather grey jacket with a blue shirt/tie and khaki pants. The other will have a dark blue jacket, shirt, tie and khakis. They said this is NO problem. The boys look VERY nice in their suits. I sometimes think everyone gets a little too uptight about things here and that it is much more relaxed on a lot of the ships! Just look clean and nice and have fun!!!

I have packed (2 formal nights) a black formal dress, black very dressy pantsuit with lace top, 4 other very comfortable dressy pantsuits for more casual nights (all are wrinkle proof!). For during the day I have 2 pair black pants with 8 blouses/shirts to go with them, one sweatshirt, lightweight waterproof jacket (going to Alaska), 1 pair canvas shoes, one sneakers and one dress shoes. My 15 year old daughter is packing similarly although she has 4 skirt outfits and 2 dresses for our dinners and jeans for the daytime.

I am surprised that, almost packed, I have so much room left in my suitcase!! We are each taking a 26 inch and a 22 inch suitcase and will have plenty of room to bring back souveniers!!

12 days and counting!!

Archived