Out of practice, help!!

ridge4

Hello all, first visit to the fashion forum.

DH and I are scheduled for a Rhapsody sailing in October. We cruised often in the 80's when I was in the travel business, but that career was long ago. We have only done one since then.

I will be 50 by the time we cruise. I am also a plus size. I rarely have an occasion to dress up, except when we cruise, which I hope we do more of in the next few years. I have been very frustrated shopping for formal wear. There are some lovely gowns and terrific sales in the area, but none are right. I can't do strapless or spaghetti straps, I'm just too heavy. On the other hand, I hate the "matronly" dresses. Trying to hit a middle ground is difficult.

For now, I am going with a simple Maggy London black jersey dress. It is v-necked with knot-twist bodice, and a flowy skirt. It does hide a lot of my sins, BUT it is sleeveless. I don't like my upper arms uncovered, so I need a wrap. Since the dress is so simple and unadorned, I think I need some eye-catching accessories.

Call me crazy, but I keep being drawn to these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stunning-Peacock-Design-Silk-Velvet-Shawl-BLACK_W0QQitemZ230013558928QQihZ013QQcategoryZ45243QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can someone explain "silk velvet" to me? The velvet I am familiar with would so wrong in the Caribbean, but this looks light and airy?? There are many colors available, not sure I should be so matchy with more black?

Please be honest if this is a god-awful idea. If so, any help with accessorizing would be deeply appreciated.

Cindi

The shawl is beautiful..I think they mean: silk body & velvet trim. Take a look at the purple one listed. You can see the difference between the two types of material used. Also, looking very closely you can see the door frame & hanger..so this is a see-trough...no lining.

IMO the black is the best for formal however the others are so nice too.

I wear slinky formal slacks/top w/a silvery delicate shawl. I too cannot wear strapless & cannot find dresses that look good on me. Plus I have bad feet/legs & I am always afraid I will fall....so I am more comfortable in slacks.

This is something I would wear..I love it...in all colors. Do you think the design will show up on your black dress?

ridge4,

Hi and welcome!!!!

Congrats on your new upcoming cruise.... sounds like it is about time!;)

The shawl is not my style but is very pretty, and would be great I think with a Black dress, as long as you keep the other accessories simple.

If you look at the shawl more closely, it appears that only the design(peacock/florals) and the edge trim are in velvet.

The above poster is right... it looks to be a sheer wrap otherwise.

I am not a huge fan of velvet/winter fabrics in the caribbean, not matter what the A/C , but I think this would be fine.

ef_12_b.JPG

I think if you like the shawl and are attracted to it, you should buy it!!

You are right, a simple black formal would look great with "eye catching" accessories.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy us!!!

I love that shawl and I think it will add a lot of pizzaz to your simple black dress. My question is, how the heck do people keep shawls up? Any shawl I have had just annoys me to pieces because it is always falling off my shoulders.

Also, only you know what you are comfortable with, but you will see lots of plus-size ladies with bare arms--no one is going to notice but you!

I love the shawl!!! It has velvet and sheer areas, so it is very flexible where you can wear it. If you love it, that will also show! Go with your instinct. Nothing better than to wear something you love and feel great in!

Amy in San Diego

Instead of hitting yourself over the head trying to find a dress to fit, why not try some separates? I have a couple long black skirts that I pair with dressy tops. I'm not easy to fit into a dress, if it is good for the girls, the bottom is way too big.

I have collected some lovely, sexy, age appropriate tops over the years, I select them to flatter my best features and hide the rest. My tops aren't all black, I have white, electric blue, eggplant and ivory. The best part is, I can take only one skirt and two tops for a 7 day cruise, cutting back on packing 2 dresses and possibly different shoes.

Welcome back to the cruise world! By all means, snap up that shawl! Do the "Buy It Now" NOW! That burn-out texture will work in any climate. Silk velvet means the fabric is actually silk but made into velvet fabric. The sheer part is where the fuzzy velvet has been cut off. And what a design, not to mention what a price! If you don't get it, post here 'cause I will!

If you are looking for more dressy separates in plus sizes, go to the JC Penney fall & winter catalog. I esp.noticed the Flyaway pants #R224-4527. Have a great trip!

I believe that silk velvet refers to the material and how it is woven. Silk= textile/natural fabric, Velvet= weave (so to speak). Since it says it is burnout silk velvet, I believe that the entire shawl is constructed of silk velvet and that the sheer areas are burned out (the flocking of velvet is burned off).

Now I'm sure somebody will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

Velvet you usually see is constructed of polyester or manmade fibers. If I'm right, and this velvet is woven of natural silk, it sounds like a very nice product.

As to your other questions, I think it is lovely and very age appropriate. Would look great to add a touch of color to a black dress, IMO. In the Caribbean, since it is sheer, I'd think it would be OK, but again, that is just my opinion. I've been known to commit a fashion faux pas or two in the past. But I really doubt anyone would look askance at you anyway. The majority of cruisers are not that fashion conscious.

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone. I bought it.

Lucy'smom - I am hoping the detail shows up well, we will see!

Nebr-cruiser - I know. Shawls are sometimes hard to handle. The world will likely have to suffer through my bare arms while I eat, or my fringe will end up in my dessert. ;)

desperatehousewife - I know how you feel about velvet in the Caribbean, I was hoping you would respond with your opinion, thank you!

Happy ks - I am doing seperates for the other formal night. Your method is very smart. I just somehow needed a dress this time.

micropooz - I will definitely check out the JCP catalog.

I really appreciate the explanations on "silk velvet". I think I have the idea now. Now it's on to jewlery. :D

Cindi

Ridge4,

Welcome!

I agree with desperatehousewife.

I too think that velvet is a huge NO-NO for the Caribbean or any hot climate, however, I think that this shawl has enough color and sheerness to it that it's okay. It is a bit wintery looking, but still fine.

Have a great cruise.

Jane

Update..the shawl has arrived and it's GORGEOUS. It's just as light and airy as it looks. The silk velvet is very silky, not like a winter velvet at all. The bodies of the peacocks are a slightly different color from the photo. They look almost a peridot green to me in the picture, they are actually closer to a bronze.

I put it on with the dress and it's lovely. I couldn't be more pleased. :D

Cindi

Archived