Chosing between CostaMagica and Carnival Liberty

clb4894

Hello all- I am new to the boards here, but not to cruising. I've been on RC and Carnival, but never costa. I am looking to plan a 6 day cruise with my fiance for a little vacation and those are both in our price range. We are youngish, 24 and 28, and enjoy new things and new people, but we are also non-smokers and I have read some passengers had problems on the Costa line with that. I was thinking something new would be fun, but maybe I've spoiled myself with the other cruises. So, to those out there who know....CostaMagica or Carnival Liberty ( Both Western Caribbean 6 days)

Hello all- I am new to the boards here, but not to cruising. I've been on RC and Carnival, but never costa. I am looking to plan a 6 day cruise with my fiance for a little vacation and those are both in our price range. We are youngish, 24 and 28, and enjoy new things and new people, but we are also non-smokers and I have read some passengers had problems on the Costa line with that. I was thinking something new would be fun, but maybe I've spoiled myself with the other cruises. So, to those out there who know....CostaMagica or Carnival Liberty ( Both Western Caribbean 6 days)

cbl - welcome to costa!

i have not been on rc or carnival yet but i know costa, while owned by carnival is a very different cruise experience! it's cruising italian style!

also if you dont know the liberty and the magica are sister ships so that should'nt be a factor in your decision.

if you enjoy new things and new people you should like costa! it's definitly different! i my self am a non smoker and went on the magica in western carib. i am VERY senative to smoke and will say that even though there were a lot of european persons smoking, i was not bothered nore did i encounter any of the problems people have been talking about with respect to smoke. but then again there are people more sensative than I so...

if it's any consolation i've been reading the carnival forums and the 'smoke' issue is complained about just as much as here.

costa is something new. it is cruising italian style, not just italian themed or 'feel' but hard core bi-lingual cruise FOR italians! if you or your boyfriend are italian american or love italian culture and food, you should like it. it is not like the other lines. i am 27 my self, italian american and i loved it!

mid 20's is a weird cruise age demographic but dont be afraid, i was abel to have a blast every night till 2 or 3 am in the various bars and the disco on the ship and meet some very nice friends.

hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions about the costa experience...

-Jim

For a 6 day Costa Cruise, how much $ do you suggest taking with you for spending? As a student, I have to start saving now! :)

this is a difficult question for two reasons. 1) everything on the boat runs on a cashless system as you know from your other cruises. stuff bought on board from drinks to excursions are placed on your onboard card which you pay for at the end, either with cash or credit card. 2) everybody you ask will have a different answer becasue everybody spends differently.

if you want to pay your onboard account in cash obveously you will need more cash than most who pay with credit. so basically paying for un-includeds on excursions (eating, taxi, tip) and tipping on the boat, are mainly what you would need extra cash for. i would say 100$ per person should be a good amount and make it 20-30$ in ones. bring more than less, it is a pain to find an ATM if you run out and extra can always be locked up in the safe and brought home and make you feel like you didnt spend that much :)

hope that helps!

-Jim

cbl - welcome to costa!

i have not been on rc or carnival yet but i know costa, while owned by carnival is a very different cruise experience! it's cruising italian style!

also if you dont know the liberty and the magica are sister ships so that should'nt be a factor in your decision.

if you enjoy new things and new people you should like costa! it's definitly different! i my self am a non smoker and went on the magica in western carib. i am VERY senative to smoke and will say that even though there were a lot of european persons smoking, i was not bothered nore did i encounter any of the problems people have been talking about with respect to smoke. but then again there are people more sensative than I so...

if it's any consolation i've been reading the carnival forums and the 'smoke' issue is complained about just as much as here.

costa is something new. it is cruising italian style, not just italian themed or 'feel' but hard core bi-lingual cruise FOR italians! if you or your boyfriend are italian american or love italian culture and food, you should like it. it is not like the other lines. i am 27 my self, italian american and i loved it!

mid 20's is a weird cruise age demographic but dont be afraid, i was abel to have a blast every night till 2 or 3 am in the various bars and the disco on the ship and meet some very nice friends.

hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions about the costa experience...

-Jim

I have been on Costa with a family group from Italy, Yes it's cruising italian STYLE. Not Italian. Big difference.

For a young couple I'd say go Carnival not Costa. There is much more to do on Carnival for your age group than on Costa.

Also depends on when you plan to go. Both lines will have 100s of children during summer and school vacations. When we were on Costa in April there were more children than adults. We were told there were over 1200 kids.

I cruised on Liberty and while ship was new and sparkling, food and service good, but feel that design was poor. Lines basically everywhere.. specially buffets, tons of kids in jacuzzis... Poor choice of ports. Freeport is a waste of the day.

In comparisson. Caribbean Princess is same size and same number of pax.. But with 4-5 pools in separate areas, 2 kids pools, tons of things to do, smaller dining rooms, no lines in buffets (except for the 1st day) it was much more pleasant experience. Liberty and CP both have Movie under the stars, but on Princess choice of movies is much better, they give you blankets and free popcorn. Kids have so many activities and own zones, you never see them. Adult only pool rules are enforsed! We are in our almost mid thirties, but there were huge number of couples between 20 and 30. Huge ship with tons of entertainment options , but feels like intimate yacht. :)

Archived