I'm Rethinking the LBD

KLLund

I have several really packable Little black dresses which have never had a chance to cruise .... poor things... but since I have been reading this thread and all the lovely accessories you all seem to find I am thinking they may like to travel too.

One of the LBD's is a gorgeous velvet with rhinestone accented cocktail type dress .. but I notice lots of people think Velvet is a no-no... So the question is .. Is velvet a no-no in the caribbean or for cruising in general. We are going to the Orient in October and I was thinking it might work??

I have several really packable Little black dresses which have never had a chance to cruise .... poor things... but since I have been reading this thread and all the lovely accessories you all seem to find I am thinking they may like to travel too.

One of the LBD's is a gorgeous velvet with rhinestone accented cocktail type dress .. but I notice lots of people think Velvet is a no-no... So the question is .. Is velvet a no-no in the caribbean or for cruising in general. We are going to the Orient in October and I was thinking it might work??

It's about fabrics and their weight. Velvet is a heavier fabric, so you wouldn't want to wear it in warmer climates, i.e. the Caribbean or the tropics.

Just as you wouldn't want wear a velvet dress in Houston in August, you'd want something a bit lighter like cotton or linen. But you'd want a heavier fabric in Vermont in January, so you'd want the velvet not the linen.

A velvet dress for a cruise in a cooler climate is fine.

Clear as mud? :)

Have fun on your cruise! The Orient sounds wonderful!

Hope your LBD's get to travel soon!

~e

I have cruised the Caribbean in Dec. and needed a heavy jacket in Nassau. The evenings can get chilly in late fall, winter and early spring on the eastern and western routes. I think,IMHO, during these times, a velvet (maybe slinky velvet:confused: ) is perfectly fine.

Well I tried to do a search to find out the weather in the Orient but I don't know what your Ports of Call are.

My opposition to velvet was basically for the Caribbean, it is just silly to me.

I think Jane110 put it well recently, if I may quote her:

Well, the restaurants I go to in the middle of January have plenty of heat but I still wouldn't wear a linen outfit and a cotton tank top.

Fur in the caribbean is a ridiculous looking as black velvet.

Excellent comparison.;)

Do a search on the average weather temperature during the months you are traveling strictly to your ports of call.:)

Depends on where in Asia will you be going.

Oct in Hong Kong can be hot. Singapore, Vietnam and Bangkok too. All these places are humid too.

Japan might be cool.

Generally speaking Oct is probably too early to wear velvet in Asia.

Personally, I would not pack velvet for this cruise. The temps you mention are still fairly warm and IMO velvet is not a good choice.

A bit OT, but I was in Shanghai and Hong Kong in the late 90s. I would strongly suggest you pack a whole bunch of disposable cleansing wipes for your trip. I really had a problem with the sanitary conditions in many of the rest rooms there. I have travelled to many places, but that was an eye opener.:eek:

Who cares if the material is "appropriate for a cruise"? As long as you won't be uncomfortable in it, I say wear it! (sounds similar to my dress.... a very slinky black velvet dress)

The OP apparently does or she would not have asked the question.;)

I have cruised the Caribbean in Dec. and needed a heavy jacket in Nassau. The evenings can get chilly in late fall, winter and early spring on the eastern and western routes. I think,IMHO, during these times, a velvet (maybe slinky velvet:confused: ) is perfectly fine.

I have cruised the caribbean twice in winter months and both times-instead of the usal 85 degree weather-we had more like 60 degree days and cool nights.

A person who lives in Puerto Rico has posted here a few times and she says they do wear velvet there in the winter.

I have a friend who moved form here (Atlanta, Ga area) to Houston TX. She says she can no longer wear her sweathers in the winter-as it does not get cool enough there-so I do think you should take in to acount the temps of where you are- especially if you tend to be "warm natured".

I have no idea what the fall in the orient feels like though. Or even if it is fall in Oct.-is that close to Australia? I know Australia's seasons are opposite ours.

Archived