Port Of Miami, RCL questions

Hello.

I am cruising with my folks in March, 2007, Eastern Caribbean on Navigator of the Seas.

My Mom is stressing about a wheel chair question, and after reading some of the threads, I am hoping you can help me calm her nerves a bit by answering a few questions.

When we get to the port, will there be someone there curbside to help her get to the check in area? She is renting a wheelchair, and it will be in her cabin when she arrives, but she won't have a chair until she is officially in the room. She would not be able to stand that long or walk from the curb up to the check in.

Getting on board, is there an elevator to get up to the gangplank to get on board? I remember a ramp, but know I cannot push her up the ramp, so hoping there are some elevators to get her on board.

Disembark, is there a wheelchair available to get her through the customs and baggage pick up areas? She'll have to leave the chair in her cabin when she leaves, so wondering how to handle the last part of the cruise.

Thank you so much for any and all help you can give...we appreciate it very much! :)

Hello.

I am cruising with my folks in March, 2007, Eastern Caribbean on Navigator of the Seas.

My Mom is stressing about a wheel chair question, and after reading some of the threads, I am hoping you can help me calm her nerves a bit by answering a few questions.

When we get to the port, will there be someone there curbside to help her get to the check in area? She is renting a wheelchair, and it will be in her cabin when she arrives, but she won't have a chair until she is officially in the room. She would not be able to stand that long or walk from the curb up to the check in.

Getting on board, is there an elevator to get up to the gangplank to get on board? I remember a ramp, but know I cannot push her up the ramp, so hoping there are some elevators to get her on board.

Disembark, is there a wheelchair available to get her through the customs and baggage pick up areas? She'll have to leave the chair in her cabin when she leaves, so wondering how to handle the last part of the cruise.

Thank you so much for any and all help you can give...we appreciate it very much! :)

You need to contact special needs dept. to arrange for someone with a chair to meet you curbside. You must pull up to the curb and not park. Sometimes these arrangements get forgotten so be sure to call 1 or 2 days before the cruise and if I were you I would call on my way in the car so they would be sure to be there.

There is an elevator that takes you to the last level of the gang plank but your pusher "usually" takes you clear in and to your room. One thing that you might want to consider is that the ramp on and off of the ship at ports is usually extremely steep. I have had trouble getting my electric skooter back on at times. Just something to think about. You might want to make friends with someone with strong arms. LOL.

You need to get with the ship a night or two before leaving. They will arange a chair for you mom and tell you where to sit until your color is called and then will help her to the curb. I always give these nice "pushers" a nice tip.

When I cruised out of POM on the Brilliance last January, the moment they saw that I was in a chair, they hurried me around the lines and check-in was immediate. Similarly, they provided a quick exit through customs on leaving.

You definitely have to be aware of steep gangways in some ports. I didn't have my seatbelt on and almost fell forward. Now, I will always use it on gangways.

I will definitely be calling (or have Mom call) the special needs department, never even thought of it...thanks! :) And, I will call and make sure the chair arrangements are made and keep up to date to make sure they are there curbside. :)

Will need to make sure she fastens her seat belt at the gang plank...another great tip! Thanks...

Thank you again for all of your help. :)

agree with above...it is about 50 yards from curb to front door where they check your seapass, you'll then go up an elevator to check in, then you'll go up another elevator to the area where they check you thru security... then on to the hallway that leads to the gangway....the gangway is semi steep( depending on ship) and fairly long with no elevator....I would definately follow the advice from those above about having them meet you at the curb...

BTW what type of room is your mom in....most suites and all HC cabins have wide doors without lips... she will need to be able to fold chair to get in cabin otherwise...

Tell your mom not to worry, she'll have a great time..

Good luck:)

P.S. What ship are y'all on?

briri, thanks for the info...will pass that along to the folks. They booked a Jr Suite, not the accessible suite, just a Jr Suite. The accessibles were all booked, ugh, so they went with something with a better sitting area and space for chair. (I am hoping they asked to be on the wait list for the accessible cabin, but not sure...will check on that.)

We are sailing on Navigator next spring...very excited to be on such a beautiful ship. I sailed her sister, Explorer, a few years back and LOVED it!

Thanks again for the info...let me know if you think of something else. :)

Great, if she is in a JS she will have a wide enough door to get wheelchair thru easily...she won't be able to get the wheelchair thru the bathroom or closet door though....regular JS will have a tub (pretty decent size) while the HC JS will have a roll in shower with flipdown seat... It will probably be more comfortable, and safer, to use the tub rather than the shower so if she can walk into the bathroom so you might want to stay with the regular JS rather than HC....I stayed in JS 1240 and 1244 ( regular, not HC) earlier this month ......Good luck

BTW I'll be on NOS in three weeks....if you have a room number pass it along and I will flood your email box with pictures so your mom can see for herself...:)

Thanks, glad to know she will be able to get through the door and have some space. :) She should be able to get into the bathtub alright, she walks to and around the bathroom at home, so she should be able enough to do that on board. She'll be glad to read all this...yeah!

I do have a request---when you are onboard in a few weeks (green with envy here!) will you find out what the promenade cabin 7595 is above? My daughter is really curious...she can hardly wait and we have over 7 months to go. :)

My Mom will be in the JS we were in on Explorer last time---is there much difference between the two? 9608--great views of St Thomas as you pull into dock. If you could take a pic or two...that would be awesome! :)

Thanks again, Alice

No problem...I'll try to get pics of both cabins and some from the promenade looking up at 7595.... 6th floor has cabins under 7595 with I believe the General Store under it on the 5th... I'll check it out and let you know... BTW your mother should like the tub/shower in the regular JS better than the roll-in shower in HC....It's not a huge tub but I'm 6'2" and fit easily into it.... we had 1240 and 1244 in July(w/ kids) on NOS and 1314 when we go at the end of the month (w/o kids)... Can't wait!!!:D

Thanks, that would be great! :) Mom was happy to hear about the tub, said to say thank you. I am sending her the link as well as telling her what everyone has been sharing with me.

Your ticker says 17 days...mine says 7 months and 2 weeks, ugh! (still green with envy! lol) I'll want to hear about every detail when you return. :)

Thank you again, Alice

Archived