Solo on Odam?

cascole

Hello All, I appreciate any honest input you may have for me. Although I have been on 7 cruises & some solo, none have been with HAL not during a holiday week - yet - so I don't know much about the clientele. I am considering a Thanksgiving week cruise on the Odam, but would be going solo. (My children may be spending it with their father this year.) Would a mid-30's gal traveling solo during a holiday week feel completely out of place with the crowd on board? I'm mostly just looking for a good week of downtime to relax, catch up on some reading & maybe (weather cooperating) enjoy some sunbathing. Any insight is appreciated!

cascole,

I have never done a Thanksgiving cruise solo, but I have cruised solo twice on the Oosterdam and, twice, on other damships. What you describe as you interest -- if that is what you're looking for -- is precisely what you can get on HAL. I have had a wonderful, relaxing, enjoyable time -- down time and otherwise -- on my solo HAL cruises. They make for wonderful "me" time, with lots of pampering and quiet. I can also have as much fun as I want by interacting with the people at my table, other solo cruisers, etc. Being a ham and a people person I'm certainly never alone.

So ... keeping in mind that I've never cruised solo over Thanksgiving (but HAVE cruised with family over Thanksgiving) ... my advice would be to GO FOR IT! :)

Cascole:

I completely agree with Rev. Neal! You will have plenty of opportunities to interact, if you wish, with others, or take the down time to yourself, as you wish. Once you embark, you will not feel like you're on a "crowded" ship (aside from "formal night photography" in the hallways before/after dinner).

I, too, haven't cruised over a Thanksgiving holiday, but I would expect a few more kids on board than usual. However, HAL does a great job in keeping them busy with their kids programs, so you probably won't see them that often in large numbers....

Other than planned announced activities and your dining options, you may want to check the Roll Call threads for your cruise, in case you would like to be in contact with other Cruise Critics prior to leaving. It's another way to find "friends" to share time with, if you'd like to.

You'll have a wonderful "dam" time! Enjoy!

Paul

I have done two solo cruises now on the Oosterdam, and honestly, you can interact as much or as little with the other people onboard as you want. I never felt out of place at all, and the crew makes you feel right at home.

Also, I agree with Paul - check into the Roll Calls. It's a great way to 'know' some people even before you get on the ship.

Thanks so much for your replies! I was a bit worried that the crowd would be much, much older - but the more I read, the more it seems like a great line & ship with a wonderful mix of ages & people! As long as I have nice red wine to enjoy in the evening & a few fruity frozen cocktails by the pool during the day, I'm one happy cruiser!

Archived