Ethics

Nancyquilts

1. You want to take a certain cruise.

2. You call your TA, but she is unable to find you a cabin that you would like.

3. You contact the cruise line, beg and plead that you have many cruises with this line, find some great people to help you, and eventually get your cabin.

4. Ethical question - should you give the reservation to your TA as she will give you certain perks - wine, discount, maybe a shore excursion, etc.

5. Or should you just keep the reservation with the cruise line, as they were of such great help, and you wouldn't want them to lose money to the TA.

That's a tough one! Personally I would always book direct as my experience of Travel Agents has not been great. However, your TA did her best and couldn't find what you were looking for. On balance I reckon you should be loyal to your TA, especially as you can get some 'extras'. And the Line will make money out of you anyway from your fare and on board. Also I'm sure your TA would be glad of the commission. The Line did what they could to get you on board and that is their job. So don't worry about upsetting them and have a great trip!

Eddie

Your TA should give you a dicount on the cruise price, often 10%. Cunard - Carnival are a big concern who don't really do loyalty except for their own interests. Give your TA a call and ask what they are offering in these cases.

David.

Tough question, and certainly bound to subjective judgement.

My point of view:

If it is a great TA, who was very good and helpful over many years, and you want to give a sign of appreciation, it might be alright to transfer the booking to her.

If the major objective is to get "certain perks" for yourself I regard it as ethical questionable. The TA did not provide the service she gets the commission for but the "great people" at the cruise line did. It would be a strange play to exhaust the service of one group, pay others and exhaust the perks there.

1. You want to take a certain cruise.

2. You call your TA, but she is unable to find you a cabin that you would like.

3. You contact the cruise line, beg and plead that you have many cruises with this line, find some great people to help you, and eventually get your cabin.

4. Ethical question - should you give the reservation to your TA as she will give you certain perks - wine, discount, maybe a shore excursion, etc.

5. Or should you just keep the reservation with the cruise line, as they were of such great help, and you wouldn't want them to lose money to the TA.

it is strictly a business decision what ever would benefit your position you should do. You wouldnt transfer the booking back to the t/a if it made your position worse ,would You ? the commision paid to the t/a is not taken from the reservation clerk at the cruise line and the cruise line is more than willing to PAY the commission if they have to. Cruise lines always offer lower prices thru special emails and advertsing especially to repeat customers!!! DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY ! BEST REGARDS

First let me say I am a TA.

No rez agent can get a cabin that a ta cannot.

The cabin you initially wanted may have been on option when your agent called and then by the time you called Cunard released back into inventory when the option was not deposited. However, I would have waitlisted you for the cabin.

The rez agents don't make commissions in the sense that ta's do. They are paid hourly wages with small spiffs.

Whether you opt to turn the reservation over to your agent, is your business.

Perhaps I'm missing something here ... you made the booking not your travel agent. I don't even see a question here?

Clearly I must be a bad person! :)

i have experienced times when cunard made a terrific offer via say email that i couldnt say no to and since it was limited in time and numbers i booked directly with cunard and when all was said and done i turned the reservation over to american express pts and reaped the rewards there as well and every one was happy!!! best regards to all

Personally I would always book direct as my experience of Travel Agents has not been great.

Eddie - I'd agree - most TAs are not worth anything. However there are some who can offer an increased discount (We've tended to book with the cruise line and then transfer the booking to the agent to get the extra discount - In Cunard's case we've told Cunard what we're doing at the beginning of the call and they've been quite happy to deal with us and an agent); and there are a few who are very good (some post on this board) and are worth far more than what they're paid.

Always side with your TA - compared to a cruise line they are a small business and will remember you & take care of you (and no, LOL!, I am not a TA - I just couldn't live without mine!)

-Michael

In that case, get a new TA!

Agreed - unless their very good in either the discount they give you or the service they normally provide.

On the subject of discounts, have you seen that Cunard are now offering a 5% discount if you book online? That looks as if they might be trying to build their direct market share.

If, as you say, your TA really did try her best, it hurst no one to give over the booking to her. MAny TAS only make a 10% commission, which they must slit usually with their agencies, and pay their expenses out of. And the entire fare is not commisionable. If you get wine from your agent, rest assured, she has paid for it out of her commision. Sometimes, especially if you are not a full time, experienced TA, such as ocngypz, yiou do the best you can, but something opens up later. Or something is turned back. Very few TAS make their full living from it any more. It just doesn't pay. So they aren't as knowedegable about some of the tricks (Such as wait-listing when they tell you no three times first!)

If you feel she really worked on your behalf, turn it over to her. If you feel she did nothing for you, do not. But if she did substantial work trying, but did not manage to come up with what you cajoled for on your own, remember that she did that work on your behalf for free.

Ask yourself (only you have an idea at the answer.) Does she deserve something for what she did try to do or not? Did she put a lot of effort into it or just make one quick phone call? Are you a long time customer she has done good things for? She is liable to go the extra mile next time f you have been kind to her!

Karie,

who does't know the"Right" answer.

Pmhnrk - I checked the Cunard website but couldn't find anything about the 5% discount for online booking - where did you see this?

I've posted the section of their home page as an attachment. It's a .doc file so I'm not sure how it will appear - if it doesn't show then bear with me!

I got the link from the UK site (www.cunard.co.uk) That could be why you can't see it if you're looking on the US site (www.cunard.com).

Apparently it's only offered on the UK website. Seems odd to me that whatever is applied should be done on both sites - and not give 'goodies' to one group or the other. Maybe they feel that too many people would take advantage in the US, since I believe more people are using the Internet.

Apparently it's only offered on the UK website. Seems odd to me that whatever is applied should be done on both sites - and not give 'goodies' to one group or the other. Maybe they feel that too many people would take advantage in the US, since I believe more people are using the Internet.

Yes, but you already get cheaper rates (and besides, it replaces the 10% you can get from your travel agent).

Yes, but you already get cheaper rates (and besides, it replaces the 10% you can get from your travel agent).

the brits always overpay on cunard for some reason that i am not aware of!!! The 5 % and most other discounts are a bit of smoke and mirrors a percieved bargain if you will!! one way of telling if you got the best possible price is that they will eliminate any other discounts including the on board room credit from other sources. I.e. american express etc best regards to all jim usa

Archived