Mariner or Explorer - Opinions needed

Not a big dilemma, just a few concerns and would like to hear some opinions. I am currently booked on the Mariner for next April (Easter week) doing the Western Caribbean. I have been going back and forth about this decision because we have already been on this ship, but doing the other route. We loved the ship, but I kept thinking it would be nice to go on a different ship since this will only be our third cruise. So, I searched and came up with the Explorer. Their itinerary doesn't go to Labadee or Jamaica. They go to Belize and Costa Maya instead. Better or worse?

Also, I have a great aft cabin booked for the Mariner. Nothing great is showing up on rccl's web as far as cabin selection for the explorer. If anyone who has been on both ships could give me their pros/cons or just a general opinion, I would appreciate it. Is the explorer in good shape? Dry dock recently? Do the showers have a door or curtain? I know they will have the new bedding by April which is a plus. :)

Also, I wanted to make sure that if I decide to change the reservation, as long as I keep the same number I can keep the onboard credit? TIA

Never been on mariner...bu..did EOS and had a great time....5 night bermuda this past may.

The showers are kind of round with curved sliding doors on EOS. Weird, but workable.

You are from NY..not sure where, BUT EOS leaves from beautiful CApe Liberty so maybe you would not have to FLY!!! BIG PLUS in my book......

I'd love to try mariner though....it's a lot like Navigator which was beautiful.

The crew and pax on EOS were nicer than those on AOS. The EOS crowd on our cruise was a bit older....but could have been that it was before school got out.

Cruising from home was such a hassle-free thing that I wish another ship would use Cape Liberty...well another bigger ship.

Hope that helped a little.

It was very helpful. I know the Explorer leaves from NJ and actually looked into it as a graduation present for my daughter next year. But that would be two cruises within 3 months and my husband thinks I'm nuts. :eek: No flying is definitely a plus!

Now I'm looking at the Navigator. Were the showers the same as the explorer (rounded doors). What about the balcony - is it all glass? If we took the Navigator, my girls would miss 2 days of school. But I like the fact that it is Saturday-Saturday and then we would be home for Easter. I just put a hold on a room for the Navigator, same aft as we had for the Mariner. So I'm happy about that. And I'm pretty sure they will have the new bedding. :)

The airfares are also killing me. I guess lots of people like to escape to Florida during that week.

Archived