Can we do the Tabyana Canopy Tour without booking an excursion through Carnival?

azphil

We are cruising to Roatan on the Carnival Valor in September, but did not want to sign up for the Tabyana Canopy Tour and Beach break at $99/person with the ship. Is it possible to just take a taxi to the beach and do the Canopy tour ourselves? It seems like it would be much cheaper.

My concern is that I got the impression that we can only do the Canopy tour if we book the excursion with Carnival? Is that true? Or are there actually two Canopy tours available at Tabyana Beach (west end area) – one for Carnival exclusively and one for independent tourists???

Also, does anyone know if you can rent life vests at Tabyana Beach or anywhere at the West End area for snorkeling?

Thanks in advance for anyone’s help.

Phil

We are cruising to Roatan on the Carnival Valor in September, but did not want to sign up for the Tabyana Canopy Tour and Beach break at $99/person with the ship. Is it possible to just take a taxi to the beach and do the Canopy tour ourselves? It seems like it would be much cheaper.

My concern is that I got the impression that we can only do the Canopy tour if we book the excursion with Carnival? Is that true? Or are there actually two Canopy tours available at Tabyana Beach (west end area) – one for Carnival exclusively and one for independent tourists???

Also, does anyone know if you can rent life vests at Tabyana Beach or anywhere at the West End area for snorkeling?

Phil

Once upon a time you could - perhaps you still can, but I'm not sure how much money you will save. Things may have changed since I was last there, but the ziplines were at Gumbalimba Park which is adjacent to Tabyana Beach. That area is West Bay - West End is a different area but not that far away.

http://www.gumbalimbapark.com/

There are several places at West Bay to rent snorkel equipment and I'm quite certain you could rent a snorkel vest and/or a life vest, but not sure if you could rent just by itself. Any dive shop will certainly have snorkel vests, and any of the water toy rentals would have the real deal. Here is one example:

http://www.bananaramadive.com/

Phil

Phil. the Tabyana Canopy tour is exclusively sold through the cruiseship, and Tabyana does not accept walk-up traffic. In other words, if you want to use the Tabyana ziplines, then you have one choice. I am sure that you know of advantages of dealing with a ship-sponsored excursion.

Please also note that there are 2 additional zipline locations on Roatan, that are NOT affiliated with the cruiselines and are therefore independent. I have received nothing but glowing testimonials for both of them.

You are looking at around $35-$45 per person for either of the other two locations offering zip lines to the public.

In regards to life vests, most places that rent snorkel gear in West Bay or West End, do not have them available. The ship-sponsored snorkeling excursions do.....for insurance purposes.

If this something you definitely require, please ask the company that you are planning on renting from.

In West End I seldom see life vests...as the water is only 6 -8 feet deep at the coral reef, which is only 20-50 feet from the shore.

I have seen people there wearing them, so some are available. See the kayakers. I bring my own snorkel vest, along with the rest of my gear. They take up little room, can be purchased for not a lot of money, and they do work, but are not true life jackets.

http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/snorkelvest/SN-0231

hqFzHA9+tCNBXRCFE6YXDHOBqC7UE0iv0300.jpg

Phil. the Tabyana Canopy tour is exclusively sold through the cruiseship, and Tabyana does not accept walk-up traffic. In other words, if you want to use the Tabyana ziplines, then you have one choice. I am sure that you know of advantages of dealing with a ship-sponsored excursion.

Please also note that there are 2 additional zipline locations on Roatan, that are NOT affiliated with the cruiselines and are therefore independent. I have received nothing but glowing testimonials for both of them.

You are looking at around $35-$45 per person for either of the other two locations offering zip lines to the public.

In regards to life vests, most places that rent snorkel gear in West Bay or West End, do not have them available. The ship-sponsored snorkeling excursions do.....for insurance purposes.

If this something you definitely require, please ask the company that you are planning on renting from.

In West End the water is only 6 -8 feet deep at the coral reef, which is only 20-50 feet from the shore.

Captain Van,

Thanks for the info. You mentioned that there were two other independent companies that did the canopy tour...which ones are those? Is that the one in Gubmalima Park and the South Shore one?

tabyana canopy tour can only be booked thru the ship. But if u want to go independant try south shore canopy tour. web page www.*****.com they are very professional and are also insured.

Thanks for the info. As far as getting there, should a taxi be able to take me there if I mention their name? Are they the same canopy tour as in Gumbalima park?

Captain Van,

Thanks for the info. You mentioned that there were two other independent companies that did the canopy tour...which ones are those? Is that the one in Gubmalima Park and the South Shore one?

The TWO independent Zip line tours are Jungle Canopy (located mid-island near French Harbour), and South Shore Canopy (located on West Bay road).

The canopy tour at Gumbalimba Park is sold exclusively thru the ship.

The TWO independent Zip line tours are Jungle Canopy (located mid-island near French Harbour), and South Shore Canopy (located on West Bay road).

The canopy tour at Gumbalimba Park is sold exclusively thru the ship.

Which one of the independent zip lines is more difficult? We will be there in December on the Carnival Valor and want to do the easier of the two. We are going to use an independent tour guide to save money over the Carnival excursion. All of the independents say they will take us to the zip line that we want to go to.

Phil

Yes, you can take a canopy tour and go to the beach through a private company, just not the Gumbalimba tour. We contacted roatan cab company and they took us to another canopy tour, the price was $45pp and then she took us to the beach, snorkeling, shopping and an Island tour for $20pp, the total price was $65pp for all day, $44 cheaper than the cruiseline charges, and with no crowds, infact we were the only ones at the canopy tour, it was nice and quiet, all that could be heard was the sounds of our screams echoing through the rainforest. If you use them ask for driver Lena Dixon.

Archived