Insurance Question

Well Travelguard did ask for our credit card # before giving a price. Hubby checked a couple of others and they wee outrageouslike $475 total for 4 people. I am fifty, hubby 46 , daughter 20 and mothr-inlaw 70. The cost of cruise is $700 a person.

We want coverage in case of emergency if we miss trip or additionial coverage if we were to get sick on cruise and health insurance does not cover all expenses. I think both of these things are pretty basic.

We have never bought cruise insurance. Never felt we would need it but after my father inlaw died of a stroke at 66 (he had had a check up less then a week before and declared in great health) and we had to cancel a trip. Then last year hubby had to have emergency gall bladder surgery and we had to cancel a trip. Neither trips were cruises and with a Dr's. letter we were able to get refunds but that taught me you just never know. Both times were like 2 days before the scheduled trip.

Sorry I forgot to say thanks to the post who told me about CSA. We will check them out. I also see the problem now is my motherinlaw's age. I wonder if we could book insurance directly through the cruiseline for her as it is cheaper for her there and elsewhere for us. Has anyone done that?

I have used Travelguard in the past, but dropped them, when I turned 80, because their products are age rated. When insurance exceeds 7percent of the cruise cost, it is too high. I have been on 25 cruises and never needed my insurance, but have seen others use it, especially if they had preexisting conditions.

The last 3 cruises i used TRIPASSURED, which my agent, Bestpricecruises recommended. It was also used by Cruisequick. They are not age rated, so they are more affordable. There was a post sometime ago on CC about them , but it disappeared.

Doe anyone have experience with them? For a $ 1000 cruise, they charge

$ 63/pp.Anyone have suggestions?

It seems that cruise line insurance gets affordable at my age.

I've booked travel insurance for all my previous cruises through the cruise line. But because of the info on these boards, for our upcoming cruise I decided to try "third-party" insurance. The combination of http://www.travelinsurance-info.com/ to educate me on policy features and http://www.insuremytrip.com to show me what's available and to allow comparison shopping is a real winner!

I believe I've purchased a better policy for substantially lower cost than I would have gotten through the cruise line. Thanks again!

John

Archived