One Day Before in San Juan?

Second cruise out of SJ is coming up, and we are again staying the night on either side. Got my hotels from Priceline, but unfortunately not happy with what I wound up with. Tried for 2 solid months to get the Caribe (stayed there last time and loved it) but instead wound up at El San Juan - paid twice the price, and I'm afraid it's going to be nothing like the Caribe. The other hotel was much cheaper - the Radison - but we stayed there last time and did not care for it. I checked Hotwire too, but for the life of me don't see how you can get the Caribe that cheap on Hotwire. It was listed as $209 when I looked.

Anyway - yes - highly recommend staying the night. Removes a lot of stress and worry.

Thanks to everyone! Very helpful advice.

In February, Hilton Caribe seems to be pretty high - approx. $300 for one night. Marriot is around $175, albeit not on the beach.

Another question: ship leaves late Saturday so if we arrive Friday, that seems to give us at least 1/2 day to site-see (in addition to Friday afternoon/evening). But what do we do with our luggage??

mjyanne: We're going to try to fly USAir for at least 1 FF ticket, but if not, we'll try JetBlue (we're in Stafford so Dulles or Regean work, but Dulles seems to have fewer connections). I'm also concerned that the early a.m. non-stop flights are full already and all that is left are non-stop returns!

Thanks again everyone!

I'd like to arrive in San Juan the day of the cruise, but have been told by RCCL that we cannot check our bags at the pier, explore, and return to the ship before departure. 1)Is this true? 2)Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with our bags while we explore San Juan before boarding? Thanks much.

I'd like to know that, as well. We are flying into SJ the day before our cruise leaves, and are staying at the Holiday Inn Express near the ports. We have to check out by noon, so we figured we'd just check into the ship, and then hang out in SJ until dinner time... are we not allowed to do that?

I'd like to know that, as well. We are flying into SJ the day before our cruise leaves, and are staying at the Holiday Inn Express near the ports. We have to check out by noon, so we figured we'd just check into the ship, and then hang out in SJ until dinner time... are we not allowed to do that?

Yes, you are allowed to get back off the ship after you check in, with no problems.

Marriott Stellaris was fine when we were there in May.

Highly recommend the Bacardi factory tour if you have time. The tour is free and includes 2 free drinks, but the cab wasn't cheap. There is a ferry from Old San Juan that is cheaper, but I didn't feel like going back to Old San Juan just to save a few bucks.

mjyanne: We're going to try to fly USAir for at least 1 FF ticket, but if not, we'll try JetBlue (we're in Stafford so Dulles or Regean work, but Dulles seems to have fewer connections). I'm also concerned that the early a.m. non-stop flights are full already and all that is left are non-stop returns!

Thanks again everyone!

Jet Blue to San Juan out of Dulles is not a direct flight. You have to go through JFK (but it is worth it IMHO). When I travel next week I'll confirm how great it is (or isn't). Understand using FF. I would book as early a flight as possible and obviously a non-stop if at all possible to minimize delays. That said, traveling the day before relieves alot of the stress. As for luggage we usually check out of the hotel around 1100 and get to the pier and on board by 1230ish. You can then depart the ship but need to be back on board by 8 pm (for Muster drill). You can also ask the hotel to hold your luggage do your tours during the day and go to the ship later. Just another option.

I'd like to arrive in San Juan the day of the cruise, but have been told by RCCL that we cannot check our bags at the pier, explore, and return to the ship before departure. 1)Is this true? 2)Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with our bags while we explore San Juan before boarding? Thanks much.

Someone misspoke. Once you check in, you are free to leave and do some sightseeing. You do have to complete your check-in - you can't just check your bags. Maybe that is what they were trying to say. Even so, if you check in early, you'll have plenty of time.

Okay, so I have it straight - we can check out of the hotel (TBD), check in on the ship early (if they allow it), then get back off the ship, luggage-free, to site-see. Or, check out of the hotel and ask them to hold our bags until we come back for them. And if no FF seats available, try JetBlue.

Thanks everyone!

I would say yes and go the day before. Even though the ship doesnt leave until 10, you dont want to get stuck in DC for snow. We did the Serenade in March and went down on Friday and were so glad we did. There is alot to see and do in San Juan. Even if you just chill on the beach Sat for awhile, its still better than rushing around all day Saturday. We did some sight seeing in Old SJ and we went to Tiujana Restaurant in SJ. They have the best MANGO MARGARITTA's. We wre going to go to the Bacardi Rum Factory, but decided to stay in SJ and chill and sight see.

Go Friday if you can.....

Good Luck.

For those of you flying in day of- if you do not want to waste time going to the ship and getting back off to sightsee- you can go straight to Barachinas in OSJ. This is a restaurant and they store luggage in a secure room for free, although I would recomend a small tip! It is easy to get cabs from airport to there and there to pier. They have a web-site http://www.barrachina.com

Archived