What's it like with that many ships in one port at once?

flagger

I found a link on the Alaska board that shows how many ships are scheduled in each port for each day of the season. On our Infinity sailing I noticed the following.

Embarkation:

Vancouver - 4 ships

Ketchikan - 3 ships

Juneau - four ships

Sitka - Just one, us yay!

Debarkation:

Vancounver - 5 ships (glad I have a 1430 flight home)

I know we are going late in the season, but what can we expect as far as crowds in the ports themselves?

Thanks. We are so looking forward to this.

I found a link on the Alaska board that shows how many ships are scheduled in each port for each day of the season. On our Infinity sailing I noticed the following.

Embarkation:

Vancouver - 4 ships

Ketchikan - 3 ships

Juneau - four ships

Sitka - Just one, us yay!

Debarkation:

Vancounver - 5 ships (glad I have a 1430 flight home)

I know we are going late in the season, but what can we expect as far as crowds in the ports themselves?

Thanks. We are so looking forward to this.

I live in Vancouver and man you can sure tell. Trying to do your grocery shopping at Granville Island is an absolute nightmare. Also, last year, I was traveling a ton for business and I swore off flying on a weekend during cruiseship season. As you stated..five ships all disembarking the same day with at least 2/3 heading same day to the airport...that's an extra 6,000 - 7,000 people minimum on top of the normal traffic at the airport. UGLY!!!

Well, do the math - 3 or 4 ships at 2000 passengers apiece...still, it could be worse, it could be 7 or 8 like a busy day in Cozumel ;)

Of the ports, Skagway is probably the most prone to crowding, since it's such a small town - but you aren't going there, it looks like. Junea & Ketchikan will be a bit crazy, I'd expect, but probably manageable.

Just returned Sunday and I would say that Juneau was the worst. I think there were four ships in port. We were there until 8pm and noticed that by 2pm the crowds had pretty much dissapeared. So if you have shore excursions in the morning you should be okay. Ketchikan wasn't too bad. Getting to the airport in Vancouver went well. We had an early flight, 11am and we were checked in and at our gate by 9:45 am.

I would prebook a limo for the airport. We were getting off the Summit last year and waited over an hour and half on the taxi line and there were only 2 ships in port that day. In Keitchen and Juneau make sure you have your excursions planned in advance, with a pick-up time and meeting place

Just returned Sunday and I would say that Juneau was the worst. I think there were four ships in port.
We are doing Captain Larry at 9:30 when we go. Thanks for your information. We are looking forward to your review. We are used to packing light. We have been places where we only used carry-ons and are determined to do it for our cruise.

Boo's Mom reported four casual nights on Summit, was this the case for your Infinity cruise as well.

:rolleyes: undefinedundefinedundefined

Dear Flagger.......What is the site : that shows which ships are in each port on any given day. I remember I went to one last year but this is a new computer and I just cannot remember the site. Thanks for your assistance. Dianne

Dear Flagger.......What is the site : that shows which ships are in each port on any given day. I remember I went to one last year but this is a new computer and I just cannot remember the site. Thanks for your assistance. Dianne

I was on Infinity and we had 4 ships in Juneau and 3 in Ketchikan, and there were no problems... did not feel crowded. But if there are shore excursions you really want to do, sign up ahead of time on line or book direct with portpromotions or through the independent operators recommended on the Alaska boards. I used Coastal Helicopters in Juneau and they were fantastic, and they take off from the airport north of the pier area where it's not usually as foggy.... in Ketchikan I went with Michelle's Island Wings plane trip to Misty Fjords which was simply too amazing to describe.

Embarking, one of those ships is probably at Ballantyne... should be OK. Coming back, pre-booking a car service to the airport as someone suggested might be a good idea.

We are already booked with Capt Larry and Michelle. Cannot wait for this trip.

Do you think with a flight not until 1430 out of YVR, I still need to pre-book a private car service?

I'd say No! We've done two cruises that have ended in Vancouver and both times we've been home by 10:00am and I'm not that far from the airport.

Infinity comes into Canada Place doesn't she? tons of taxis waiting there.

Archived