Arubalisa???

bling19572010

Thank you Lisa. I'm going on a "girl's vacation" next April for a week and would like to find out as much information that I can on excursions, restaurants, transportation, shopping etc. I'm staying at the Marriott Surf Club (I think that's the name of it) Any tips? Thank you!

OK, this may seem like a silly question, but I'm one of the few people in the world who doesn't like to snorkel. Actually, I love the beach but don't want to be in the water with fish! Do all of the beaches have fish in the water? ARe there any beaches with more wave action? Also, I've seen postings of people from the cruises going to the hotel beaches and using the hotel pools. Is that allowed? Do you have to get some sort of pass for that? TIA for your help.

:D Ha, that is not a silly question at all! My mom feels the exact same way as you do, if she can see it, she won't swim with it! There are quite a few fish in the water. I have to admit though, I personally in over 12 visits have never even been nipped. That doesn't matter to people like my mother ;)

The waters along Palm Beach offer no waves whatsoever. Eagle Beach overall has more wave action, though sometimes they are not really that noticeable. Even though the water is calm, along Palm Beach the sand sometimes becomes cloudy with the sand being churned up by all of the watersports activity.

The rough waters are on the windward side of the island. But there is no happy medium, the waves there are HUGE. The island has an average 17 mph wind each day, so that wind pushes a lot of water, producing huge treacherous waves.

For what you would like, you would probably be best getting a day pass to a resort. Being an island with many cruise visitors, the resorts frown upon non-hotel guests using their facilites, including their swimming pools. You can always try to sneak in, but ditch the cruise ship's towel, it is a dead giveway that you are not a guest of the hotel :o The beaches on the island are public, but you cannot use the hotel's chaise lounges or shade palapas.

Thanks for the response, Lisa. So what do people like your mom & I do? Just no beach for us?

LOL-- my mom still goes in the water, she just hangs on to my dad for dear life! She tries not to look down and if her curiousity gets the best of her, she does her best not to scream :eek: My mother-in-law does not know how to swim and even she cannot resist the charms of Aruba's waters :)

What about the Havana beach club? Do you have any info on that?

Sorry I do not know anything about Havana Beach Club, it is real close to downtown Oranjestad though.

When we stayed on Aruba for a week, we went out toward the lighthouse for an afternoon. We took the bus. I think it is Malmok Beach. There were no facilities that I remember and not much in the way of fish unless you went way out. It had some waves, but along with that was a pretty mean undertow. I would not recommend venturing too far out. It took me forever to get back in and I had on fins. But it surely is an alternative to the beaches with highrise hotels. The bus is chesp and easy to catch. Alwways remember that things run a little slower in the tropics and be prepared. The people were the nicest we ever came across on vacation.

Archived