SEAWORLD Worth the Day Trip?

MrPete

I keep reading about people saying the day trip to UNIVERSAL or WDW is not worth it with the time alotted and their time there, but I've yet to see someone comment about Seaworld.

Can one do a lot, or experience, all of Seaworld in one visit? Or if not, satisfying enough while going?

We will be picked up by a local friend, so we can come and go as we chose.

We were in Orlando at Thanksgiving (but not on a cruise) and we did Sea World easily in a day. We didn't do all of the rides and I think we might have missed one show but other than that we saw and did all we wanted to.

the hard part with Sea World is that sometimes it is difficult to coordinate what you want to do with the show schedule.

I think as long as you don't want to see and do absolutely everything, then Sea World can be done in a day.

Elise

Ok, let me preface this with the fact that I am biased. I work for Anheuser-Busch who owns Sea World. Of all the parks in Orlando, it ranks at the top of the heap. Yes, you can see it in a day. When you arrive, check out the show schedule and plan your day around the shows. If you have a conflict, skip the ski show.

You must see the Shamu show and the Clyde and Seymour show. The Whale and dolphin show is next. Visit Dolphin cove and buy some fish food and get your family around to pet the dolphins.

There is a world-class roller coaster and a great cross-over ride called Journey to Atlantis. Also make time for the WIld Artic which is a simulator ride which culminates in a simulated Arctic Exhibit with Polar bears, walrus' and Beluga Whales.

Walk through the Shark tube and if you'd like a unique experience schedule either dinner with Shamu or fine dining at the Sharks restaurant. Make those reservations when you enter the park at customer relations.

Again, take it for what it is worth, but there will be less crowds and since the stadiums hold big crowds, the shows can accomdate a lot of people. Also, if you arrive early, the pre-shows are good too, especially the mime at Clyde and Seymore Show.

If you want to splurge for a real relaxing day, check out http://www.discoverycove.com/default2.aspx . Discovery Cove is a "swim with the Dolphins" ultimate vacation day. Right across the street from Sea World, but you need reservations since they only allow 1,100 people per day in.

Hope this helps.

4 more days til the Conquest

I live only 1 1/2 hrs from Sea World, and I have made many a day-trip there. Although I prefer to leave early in the afternoon raher than make the drive at night, I would definately agree that you can see most, if not all of it in a day.

My favorites that I suggest you check out: feeding sea-lions, feeding dolphins, riding The Kraken (absolutely INSANE coaster!). The shows are neat as well, but I'm more for the 'do-it' rather than the 'watch-it' type of activities.

On that note, if you see the Shamu show, and are picked to volunteer as an assistant to the handlers, be prepared to get soaked. They do a nice little bit where you are supposed to be giving hand signals to the whales, in a competition with another female volunteer to see who the whale is more apt to follow. What you don't realize (although everyone else in the stadium can see it happening) is that the handlers give the whale the real signal from behind you, which invariably results in you getting soaked with 60-something degree sea water. The female assistant always wins, much to the crowds delight. Trust me, I speak from experience. It was fun though, and the resulting cam-corder footage has given my wife and I many hours of entertainment since then.

As far as Discovery Cove, again, absolutely incredible. It is an 'upper-class' theme park in that it is designed to be a more personal experience. It too, can be done in a day, but I would say you would be hard-pressed to do both SeaWorld and Discovery Cove in the same day.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick tip if your picked for the Shamu show - Make sure you pockets are empty. My hubby(Dannizzig) for got to take the keys with our Car remote out of his pocket , Well after a long hot day we return to My car and cant deactivate the alarm. So in a parking lot filled with people , I have to climb under the dash to find the little kill switch for the alarm - On a postive notice atleast we didnt get arrested for trying to steal our own car....lmao.

"On that note, if you see the Shamu show, and are picked to volunteer as an assistant to the handlers, be prepared to get soaked. They do a nice little bit where you are supposed to be giving hand signals to the whales, in a competition with another female volunteer to see who the whale is more apt to follow. What you don't realize (although everyone else in the stadium can see it happening) is that the handlers give the whale the real signal from behind you, which invariably results in you getting soaked with 60-something degree sea water. The female assistant always wins, much to the crowds delight. Trust me, I speak from experience. It was fun though, and the resulting cam-corder footage has given my wife and I many hours of entertainment since then.

"

Well, we ended up doing this on our own. We were able to get everything in that we wanted to, but it was HOT HOT HOT.

And crowded, but not too bad. The only thing we really waited on was the water ride, which was a 45 minute wait.

We were just at Sea World a few weeks ago and I say go for it. It is a beautiful place. Lots to see and do. There are lines but nothing like Disney. Journey to Atlantis is great. We sat in the Super Soak Section for Shamu and were drenched from head to toe. It was great.

You must go to the penguin encounter. It is great. We stood there for 15 minutes watching and laughing at the penguins swimming and jumping out of the water. The knock over other penguins and often land on their bellies. LOL.

I worked for Sea World for 10 years. (Through high school, until I got my bachelor's degree.) Even though, I worked there for so long, I still love to go! I suggest you bring something to fill up with water. It is definitely hot right now. You don't want to dehydrate! You can definitely see most of the park in one day! I would go early and see the first Shamu show. That show seems to get more and more crowded as the day goes on!

Archived