Alaska 2007 - Small Cruise Ships

NEpats

My husband and I are planning an Alaska trip for 2007. We want to do a cruise and Denali.

Does anyone have any experience with Linblad? We're looking for a cruise that will incorporate kayaking, hiking, raftring, etc. without having to pay extra for it.

We've been researching Cruise West as well, but it appears that most of those types of activities are extra.

We've been looking into this for a YEAR and are still overwhelmed. There's not that many small cruise lines, but there also isn't a lot of info. out there.

Thanks in advance!

I have been looking for info about the Cruise west ships, wanting to see past cruisers photos. I can't seem to find any that are not on Cruise West's website:) Have you come acoss any in your searches?

Thanks!

My husband and I are planning an Alaska trip for 2007. We want to do a cruise and Denali.

Does anyone have any experience with Linblad? We're looking for a cruise that will incorporate kayaking, hiking, raftring, etc. without having to pay extra for it.

We've been researching Cruise West as well, but it appears that most of those types of activities are extra.

We've been looking into this for a YEAR and are still overwhelmed. There's not that many small cruise lines, but there also isn't a lot of info. out there.

Thanks in advance!

No experience with small ship cruises at all. But I have been doing research for a possible small chip 2007 cruise, as you are, and I wonder if you have looked at small yacht charters. The price is comparable to (sometimes cheaper than) the Lindblad or Clipper Odyssey ships. Almost all of them also include all fine dining and excursions (zodiacs, kayaks, hiking, guided fishing, whale watching, etc.) in the price. The one potential down side (a major up side to some) is that unless you book the whole boat to yourself, you will have a limited number of fellow passengers (6-8 on most vessels) who you cannot escape if you turn out not to like them.

There are many yachts available for charter (which can be found via a google search for "alaska yacht charter". Here's one site with links to many charter yachts http://www.alaskacharterboat.com/?gclid=CNqttsL534YCFUFDGgodxXPH3w

• 4 weeks later...

my wife and I just returned from an eight day cruise with cruise west ( spirit of discovery/ wilderness inside passage ). I can not adequately describe the trip accept to say that was spectacular. Out of eight days, we were out exploring in zodiaks on four. The crew ( both the hotel staff and the deck staff ), were perfect in every regard. Being that there are only 22 of them we got to know almost all of them fairly well. They were all outstanding. Not just extremely competent and well managed, but truly personable and enthusiastic in their service. What else can I say; from our expierience cruise west is a first class operation. I would go with them again in a heartbeat.:)

• 4 weeks later...
my wife and I just returned from an eight day cruise with cruise west ( spirit of discovery/ wilderness inside passage ). I can not adequately describe the trip accept to say that was spectacular. Out of eight days, we were out exploring in zodiaks on four. The crew ( both the hotel staff and the deck staff ), were perfect in every regard. Being that there are only 22 of them we got to know almost all of them fairly well. They were all outstanding. Not just extremely competent and well managed, but truly personable and enthusiastic in their service. What else can I say; from our expierience cruise west is a first class operation. I would go with them again in a heartbeat.:)

Thank you for your review of Cruise West. I too am looking to cruise Alaska in 2007 and am considering Cruise West. I have heard only good about this line and they seem to offer "typical" excursions at no additional cost. I will probably start up a discussion in January with others who may be interested in Cruise West with land travel to Denali.

We have not done a small ship Alaska trip, but went with Lindblad to Galapagos & will be going with Cruise West to Japan in 07. Lindblad is a totally first class outfit & I'd go anywhere with them. If their Alaska naturalists are anything like the Galapagos people, you couldn't go wrong. If you go to their website www.expeditions.com you can download their Alaska digital brochure. Tough decision, let us know which one you pick.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for small ship trips to Alaska too, in late June/early July. Now am undecided between taking a shorter 4-5 day cruise and then making an interior Denali trip, or saving the Denali trip for another time, and spending 8-9 days on a smaller ship cruise. Due to work schedules and other things beyond our control, we can't take more than 11 days, tops, and 9 days is better. :( Has anybody made plans yet?

Lindblad looked interesting too but seems out of my budget.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after a lot of hemming and hawing we made a deposit today with Lindblad's "Exploring Alaska's Coastal Wilderness" (Juneau-Sitka 1-way). Yes, after all that research, we are spending about double what we originally thought we'd spend.

We're pretty excited, though, and thanks to everyone for all the advice and suggestions. (I'll be back with more questions as the date draws nearer, I'm sure!)

NOTE TO ANYONE CONSIDERING LINDBLAD: They DO offer early booking discounts but they are unadvertised - found out today that it's $150-$250 off per person, but you have to book 275+ days (approx 9 months) in advance. We were too late our our trip, but anyone considering Lindblad for a trip in August, you may want to take a look at the calendar.

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know about your experience when you return. Sounds fantastic!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

Have you looked into American Safari Cruises? Luxury SMALL yacht like vessels catering to only about 6 couples. Supposedly top of the line service, food and due to size able to get into places that the larger ships can't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We sailed the Inside Passage with Cruise West in August 06 and our assessment is that the company charges a premium price for a second-rate "adventure." Our "exploration leaders" were effervescent recent college graduates who did not know the difference between igneous and metamorphic rocks and were clueless as to the habits of puffins, to name just two areas of ignorance. The food was mediocre at best, inedible at worst. Some of the shore excursions were bizarre to the point where the Captain confided that he didn't know why certain places were on the itinerary. We are not "luxury-minded folks" by any means although we obviously have the resources to afford Cruise West's charges--however, when a sheet is too small for the bed, as ours was, and popped off every single night. leaving us on a bare mattress...well, we are still laughing about that one! On Cruise West, we learned, you do not get what you pay for, not even close. To add insult to injury, we were continually being told how much better a time we were having as compared to those unfortunates on the "behemoth" ships. Yet the behemoths were often docked right next to us and one of them got closer than we did to the action in Glacier Bay. Talk about snobbery! Cruise West takes a page out of "The Emperor's New Clothes" in our opinion. We would never reccomend them.

Here are links to previous discussions that you might find interesting. I am happy to give more specifics about our voyage, if you are interested.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9228620#post9228620

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=451248

Archived