Crusing with limited mobility

bondy

This is my second go at posting this thread. My wife and I have been lucky enough to have cruised on many occasions out of Sydney, Europe and the USA. We love our cruising! 3 years ago she lost her mobility due to MS. This didnt stop us from going on a cruise on the Royal Princess. We had a great time but it was oh so different having to rely on a wheelchair. I had to be on hand all the time to push the chair and we found that we couldnt do our own things. Earlier this year we cruised on the Infinity but this time we purchased a portable electic scooter (Liberty Easy Travel)

On this cruise the scooter enabled us to do what we wanted to do without depending so much on each other. We had many people stop and ask us where we had purchased the product because it folds like a stroller and is very lightweight. We went on shore excursions and the scooter easily fitted into the boot of taxis. They even allowed us take it on tender boat. At the airport we drove the scooter up to the aircraft door! If you need a walking aid and want to have more fun on the cruise this is the product! We purchased ours from www.libertymobilityaids.com.au We cant wait for our next adventure.

Dear clyde3;

We chose the classic and yes your right its not ideal for hills. we find its perfect for shopping centres and flat surfaces including running around the ship. It can handle mild slopes but i wouldnt recommend it for hills.Its a trade off as you cant lug those big heavy ones around. if we purhased a big one we wouldnt get 10% of the use we have had outof our classic.In the end 90% independence is better than 10%.

You are so right about independence I have the same one by the same manufactutrer but it is marketed by no boundaries and their dealers. I have likited mobility due to a luing disease and need ozxygen I am a large person and it woorks great for me. SWometimeds I need a little help going uphill but we get there . It has saved my life. I am no longer depressed since i got back my independence

nancy

gooselace, mobility scooters don't have brakes. When you stop pushing on the control, they stop. They are fairly easy to drive unless she cannot put any pressure on her hands. It would be good to take her to a mobility store and let her try one out. Of course, she could try one of those available in a lot of grocery stores, Walmart, Target, and even Home Depot. If she can drive a car, this is much simpler.

Good luck.........it would sure give her independence if she's not able to get around on her own.

Thank you so much for the information. My SIL can't use a regular wheelchair because her hands aren't strong enough to turn the wheels. It sounds as if one of these lite scooters would be perfect for her, if she only has to push on a handle or bar. I had no idea they don't have brakes.:o

Archived