Why do people decorate cabin doors?

tripman

Because you want to. I never have in the past, but am planning on decorating my parents' cabin door on our upcoming cruise. We (my sibs and our spouses) are helping our parents celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary by going on an AK cruise with them in 11 days! If anything deserves a decorated door that does! We are very proud of our parents and their example of what marriage should be and want everyone to know . . .hence, the decorations. If you are on the Serenade leaving on Aug 20th, look for Glenn and Dorothy's cabin. It will be the one that says "Happy 60th Anniversary."

Because you want to. I never have in the past, but am planning on decorating my parents' cabin door on our upcoming cruise. We (my sibs and our spouses) are helping our parents celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary by going on an AK cruise with them in 11 days! If anything deserves a decorated door that does! We are very proud of our parents and their example of what marriage should be and want everyone to know . . .hence, the decorations. If you are on the Serenade leaving on Aug 20th, look for Glenn and Dorothy's cabin. It will be the one that says "Happy 60th Anniversary."

WOW - what a great way to celebrate your folk's 60th anniversary and what a tribute to them. Please tell them Happy Anniversary from gg in Texas.

I'll be one of the goofy ones that will be decorating our door. A group of us are going and our guys will be returning from a year in Iraq, so we are having Welcome Home decorations on our door. Plus, I am navigationally challenged and I will need help finding my way back to my room lol.

Gosh but it's fun to have a thread where people are celebrating one another and having fun!! The last time there was talk of door decorations it was mostly put-downs!

We're leaving Aug. 20 on the Veendam so I can't come see your 60th door decorations but what a marvelous time you will all have............

and,

also the group celebrating homecomings! You deserve a

marvelous cruise.;)

Isn't it fun to enjoy what we do and be positive? Ah, Alaska's coming for all of us...........along with door decorations.:)

I'll be one of the goofy ones that will be decorating our door. A group of us are going and our guys will be returning from a year in Iraq, so we are having Welcome Home decorations on our door. Plus, I am navigationally challenged and I will need help finding my way back to my room lol.

Please give your guys a big "Welcome Home" hug from us. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to our soldiers and their families who watch them go off to war, then stay behind and keep the home fires burning until they return. Bless you all, gg in East Texas

Good Question...I could never figure it out...maybe they are too dumb to remember their deck and cabin number and figure decorating the door will help them find their cabin? Or maybe they can't find anything better to do on a cruise ship?:cool:

Mark,

Your post was just very rude and uncalled for, don't you think?

I have never decorated my cabin door before on a cruise, but after reading post from other pax...I think it would be festive and fun. So I am planning on at least putting up a M&M sign and a printed out Bon Voyage banner to tape on the door.

:) Happy Cruising!:)

I never have, but I think I should for 2 reasons:

#1. I'm always lost, so I suppose I'm one of the "dumb" ones who can't find their cabin.

#2. I could put a directional arrow on it saying "that way, stupid", so I will always know which way is forward. I can find my way anywhere if I know which direction is forward....don't ask.

I know I've used others decorations for location tips. I'd never think to steal one, I have enough of my own junk.

The best idea I've ever seen on these boards was when someone put up a signature board on their door which many people signed and left messages. What a great memento!

...maybe they are too dumb to remember their deck and cabin number and figure decorating the door will help them find their cabin? Or maybe they can't find anything better to do on a cruise ship?:cool:

Dumb is as dumb does... for me I think it's a fine solution to vision problems. Mild dyslexia, lousy vision, and being geographically challenged makes it hard for me sometimes to find the "right" door when they all look the same. So a couple of "fun" visual clues make it easy for me to overcome a handicap.

But it's also fun - I surprise my TC with a welcome aboard sign and different quotes or funny things during the week... if it makes others laugh - more power to it. Some people leave notes on the message board, others are rude. Someone has to spoil the fun I guess . . . And yes, actually, the pages from the door go into my photo album/scrapbook when I get home.

Sure, I can find "better" things to do on a cruise ship . . . I make the decorations before I get to the ship (usually at work while trying to look busy, knowing that I can't concentrate on anything the day before I leave!). Take a minute or 2 to stick stuff up (sometimes while tc is in the shower and I can't get anything else done anyway) and use it as a way to kick off my vacation.

What the big deal? Why do you think it's dumb? Just because you don't do it, you have the right to mock others? 'Course, I don't get why people think it's so much fun to drink from dawn to dawn on their vacation (or anytime really) . . . to each her own I guess

What kinda decorations do you guys use? I think I'll embarresss my BF greatly by doing this on our upcoming cruise...lol. I love the idea, I'm sure he'll feel otherwise.

Oh, go ahead...that is part of accepting people. He will get used to it.

Heck, ask him for his ideas.:)

love reading all your posts. This is our first cruise, legend on 8/16...yes that is 6 days from now!!! and it sounds like a wonderful idea to decorate the door. Question...how do you adhear your item to the door? thanks

Because your cabin door is metal, you can use magnets to decorate or you can purchase a type of "tacky gum" that looks like stretchy rubber. You pinch off a tiny piece and it holds great without leaving any residue on your door. Lots of teachers use this, as well as other types of poster mounts that don't leave any stain or goo or sticky stuff behind. There is all kinds of info re: decorating your door - just put it into a search and you will see fun, whimsy ways to do that. gg

Well I decorate my cabin door, because "I can!" I think of a theme each year and then decorate the cabin door with that in mind. I thought cruises were supposed be about FUN and FRIVIOLITY!! On some cruises that I have been on they actually include a segment of the cabin decorated doors in their "Cruise in Review" video tape. I figure it this way, just like Holidays -- some participate -- some don't. I GO ALL OUT!! HAHAHA! Oh, yes, I also use other cabin decorated doors to navigate my way back after an outrageous night on the ship!

Good Question...I could never figure it out...maybe they are too dumb to remember their deck and cabin number and figure decorating the door will help them find their cabin? Or maybe they can't find anything better to do on a cruise ship?:cool:

I find your remark to be offensive to those of us who like to do it. Maybe your just to dumb to enjoy anything!!!!!!!!!

Okay, let's all leave Mark alone now. I doubt that he is reading this post any longer anyway. We all agree about the comments he made......let's get on with the fun ideas and positive comments. :)

To prepare for the cruise door decorations for my parents' anniversary I spent several hours looking through 60+ years of photographs. That alone has made the door decorations worth doing for me...many precious memories. Way too many to put on one door.

We leave in one week!!!!!! Now I can really start packing. My cruise happy dance begins today!

Okay, let's all leave Mark alone now. I doubt that he is reading this post any longer anyway. We all agree about the comments he made......let's get on with the fun ideas and positive comments. :)

To prepare for the cruise door decorations for my parents' anniversary I spent several hours looking through 60+ years of photographs. That alone has made the door decorations worth doing for me...many precious memories. Way too many to put on one door.

We leave in one week!!!!!! Now I can really start packing. My cruise happy dance begins today!

Just in case there is a remote chance that you didn't think of this, make copies of the photos. You'd hate to have something happen to the originals. If you don't want to mount them to a poster, you can print them on magnet paper. I did that for my last cruise. It sticks just fine as long as you don't plan on it holding anything else up. Happy Anniversary to Mom and Dad.:)

We leave in one week, too.................hope the airlines are able to get everyone home and all that before then.............

Vancouver, here we come; Alaska...........HERE WE COME!!:)

We leave in one week, too.................hope the airlines are able to get everyone home and all that before then.............

Vancouver, here we come; Alaska...........HERE WE COME!!:)

We have friends who left for Alaska yesterday, but out of Seattle. The ones from Florida just made their connecting flight in Atlanta. The one from Philly missed her connecting flight. All flew the day of the cruise. For one day after the incident, I don't think that's too bad. I just hope you're flying in a day ahead of time. My nerves couldn't take the last minute jitters. Pulling a Jamie just isn't my style. With another week, I doubt there will be any delays. Have a wonderful cruise.:D

Yes; we're going up a day early.

I could drive (from Portland, OR) but my daughter lives in Santa Monica, CA. She flies in here and we fly up together. I like to get there the day before and be SAFE!;)

When I found out the cost of hotels there by Canada Place, I was wishing I wasn't going early....................but.................it's a lovely place to wander around and I like BEING THERE.:)

I love to decorate our cabin door ... on our first cruise this past February (on the Infinity) I decorated our cabin door in a Valentine's Day theme - used poster puddy to put big foil hearts, curley ribbon, Hersey's Kisses, lollie pops, and cheap little plastic Valentine's Days things I picked up from the Dollar Store all over our cabin door. Folks would come by and take pictures in front of our door...then help themselves to the chocolates. That was the whole purpose, so folks could come by and pluck something off - just for fun. Each night I would replenish the goodies and it was all in good spirit.

On the Alaska cruise (we leave this Saturday - yeah!) I picked a Martini theme for our cabin door. Went into allposters.com and got one poster for each day of the cruise. When I put up the Chocolate Martini one I'll cover the door in Hershey's chocolates for folks to take. The crew loves it also ... more than likely the bartender at the Martini Bar will get the posters when the cruise is over.

The big question will be ... wonder what I'm going to do next year on our Galapagos Islands cruise on the Xpedition! Only 44 pounds of luggage allow!

Happy sailing everyone ... let your imagination run wild ... be creative and have fun with your cabin doors.

Katie

Archived