Wet suits needed?

madisonswims

Hi there,

My husband and I will be taking our daughter on a cruise in December.

We will be doing the Stingray and snorkel excursion in Grand Caymen, a 3 reef snorkel excursion in Cozumel and cave-tubing in Belize.

Do we need shorty wetsuits for any of these?

THANKS!

Hi there,

My husband and I will be taking our daughter on a cruise in December.

We will be doing the Stingray and snorkel excursion in Grand Caymen, a 3 reef snorkel excursion in Cozumel and cave-tubing in Belize.

Do we need shorty wetsuits for any of these?

THANKS!

While the water will still be somewhat warm 78 degrees, there are other reasons for wearing one such as protection from the sun. You probably wont need one in Belize as you will be sitting in an inner tube.

Dave

I was also thinking - they may protect us from jellyfish stings, right?
Yep.

It probably isn't so much a question of need as it is a question of want. Everyone's perception of cold is different. Water that is comfortable at 80? f for some people is still cold for others. I get cold easily, so I always wear a wetsuit and even at 85?f I have never been too warm on a dive. If you don't get cold easily, then you may not need a wetsuit.

Depending on how long you plan to be in the water. Most all ocean and river water is lower than body temperatures of 98.6. Thus, you will be losing body heat all the time you are in the water. How old is your daughter? If young and slim, she will probably get cold quicker than if a teen and heavier.

In cooler waters, generally less than 80 degrees, your body really has to work to keep you a little warm. I always wear a shorty when I dive in the Fl. Keys in the summer and a wetsuit when I dive in the Fall or spring. I wore a full wetsuit in Belieze last May because I knew I was going to be in the water for over 1 1/2 hours over a three hour time span, even tho the water was about 83.

Additionally, it does offer some protection from sunburn and little critters.:)

Happy bubbles.

Thanks for the information! My daughter is eight and very petite. She is very thin too. I will take all of our wetsuits. We will be doing a three reef snorkel in both Cozumel and Grand Caymen (stingrays are one stop in Grand Caymen).

Boy, I miss diving. I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to teach!

When snorkeling in Hawaii, we haven't needed them. but it is good to know that it is worth taking them along.

THANKS all so much!

If the question is: should I buy wet suits? Not unless you have plenty of disposable income cuz sounds like their use will be one time....

When I dive, the places that think wet suit use MIGHT be wanted rent them.... If you REALLY want 'em, find your local dive shop - they probably rent them and you can take 'em with.

If the question is: do I need one? LOT's of folks dive Cayman w/out a wet suit ... but all hardcore divers wear 'em. {by wearing my 25 year old suit I prove my manhood!} 'course my dives are to 100 feet ... snorkeling...no way.....

Yeah, I have to tell you - it is SO HARD to go back to snorkeling once you have dived. I just hope that this time I am investing in my daughter will lead to her interest so that we can enjoy years of diving together. Someday soon I hope!

At what age can kids become certified? Twelve sticks out in my mind.

Yeah, I have to tell you - it is SO HARD to go back to snorkeling once you have dived. I just hope that this time I am investing in my daughter will lead to her interest so that we can enjoy years of diving together. Someday soon I hope!

This is from the Padi website:

How old do I have to be to become a certified diver?

You must be at least ten years old (this may vary in some countries) to receive a Junior Open Water Diver certification. Ten and eleven-year-old Junior Open Water Divers must dive with a certified parent, guardian or PADI Professional and are eligible to dive to a maximum depth of 12 metres/40 feet. Twelve to fourteen-year-old must dive with a certified adult. At age fifteen, the diver may upgrade to a regular Open Water Diver certification without further training.

My boys became certified when they just had turned 11 & 13 (4 years ago). The kids must complete the same coursework as adults so they need to be mature enough to process the material and handle the mechanics of setting up equipment etc. I think ,based on their learning styles, this was as early as they could have handled it. My daughter, who is 10 right now-no way she could handle it.

Skneu1..... It WILL pay off.... 2 years ago, I bought my son and myself diving lessons for Christmas, and let me tell you, it was the best present I have ever bought...WE dive together all the time now and its a great way to do things together. It has definitly brought us closer together as a Father/Son team

Skneu1..... It WILL pay off.... 2 years ago, I bought my son and myself diving lessons for Christmas, and let me tell you, it was the best present I have ever bought...WE dive together all the time now and its a great way to do things together. It has definitly brought us closer together as a Father/Son team.

Is there any difference between a rash guard and a skinsuit besides the fact that the rashguard is just the top? I'm going snorkeling in Tortola in September. Amazon has this rashguard for $19.99 -- is that good enough? Or am I better off getting this skinsuit for $39.99?

And if I'm not diving, I don't need an actual wetsuit, right? That's the thicker suit, right? Seems like it would be a bit more than I need for just snorkeling, but what do I know? (Answer: nothing!).

Also, how do these things fit? Would I order whatever size I would order for a t-shirt? A large Tee is usually comfortable on me, and a medium is very fitted. Please help this snorkeling newbie!

I just ordered a new shorty on e-bay for my daughter. It is a 2mm Body Glove. It was true to size.

My shorty is also true to size, it is a Body Glove.

I was down at the sports store yesterday and noticed that they are closing out the wetsuits. You may be able to get a deal at a local sports store. That way you can try it on too.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any difference between a rash guard and a skinsuit besides the fact that the rashguard is just the top? I'm going snorkeling in Tortola in September. Amazon has this rashguard for $19.99 -- is that good enough? Or am I better off getting this skinsuit for $39.99?

And if I'm not diving, I don't need an actual wetsuit, right? That's the thicker suit, right? Seems like it would be a bit more than I need for just snorkeling, but what do I know? (Answer: nothing!).

Also, how do these things fit? Would I order whatever size I would order for a t-shirt? A large Tee is usually comfortable on me, and a medium is very fitted. Please help this snorkeling newbie!

I think you will be fine with a diveskin and a 1 or 2mm wetsuit. That is what I am taking for the Dec cruise. You may also want to check with http://www.weatherunderground.com.

Thanks for the information! My daughter is eight and very petite. She is very thin too. I will take all of our wetsuits. We will be doing a three reef snorkel in both Cozumel and Grand Caymen (stingrays are one stop in Grand Caymen).

When snorkeling in Hawaii, we haven't needed them. but it is good to know that it is worth taking them along.

THANKS all so much!

If the water temp is the same as Hawaii and you didn't need a suit in Hawaii you shouldn't need one in GC either. When our kids were your daughters age, we put them in a suit anyway so that they had some extra flotation.

Both our kids were certified in Monterey when they were 12. So, when they got to warm water they were like fish.

OP is going snorkeling not diving. I have snorkeled many times in Jan/Feb. I have never felt the need for a wetsuit. I think it depends on what your use to. I live in Michigan. When water hits 78-80 degrees that is considered warm! :)

Packing for a cruise is hard enough. Wetsuits for the whole family would take up a lot of precious space. Especially with the strict airline limits. That is unless your driving to the cruiseport. Then I would say maybe you should take them...at least for the kids.

CaribbeanCrazy

MauiLvrs has it right. The warmest water in Hawaii is equal to the coldest in the Caribbean. And there are many conditions where you might want a wetsuit for diving but not need it for snorkeling. Like my trip to Fiji 2 weeks ago; water was 75.

I just registered as a new member on this site to try and find dive buddies for my next cruise. I've been diving for 17 years. I'm a NJ wreck Diver and see people diving in wet suits in 55 degree water and don't know how they do it. I'm finding that Bruce-r gives the correct advice. Everyone is different. I would not purchase a shorty though. I would get a lighter 2mm arm and 3-4mm torso full body suit from your local dive shop. It will protect your arms and legs from far more than jellies. Such as sea lice, drifting into sharp corals, and worst of all FIRE CORAL. I got a wicked case of this on my left arm just hanging onto an encrusted permanent mooring line in Bimini. (wearing a shorty). Don't forget gloves. Worst cast senerio is you are warm. Darn. Besides, you can always unzip to let in more water.:cool:

I just registered as a new member on this site to try and find dive buddies for my next cruise. I've been diving for 17 years. I'm a NJ wreck Diver and see people diving in wet suits in 55 degree water and don't know how they do it. I'm finding that Bruce-r gives the correct advice. Everyone is different. I would not purchase a shorty though. I would get a lighter 2mm arm and 3-4mm torso full body suit from your local dive shop. It will protect your arms and legs from far more than jellies. Such as sea lice, drifting into sharp corals, and worst of all FIRE CORAL. I got a wicked case of this on my left arm just hanging onto an encrusted permanent mooring line in Bimini. (wearing a shorty). Don't forget gloves. Worst cast senerio is you are warm. Darn. Besides, you can always unzip to let in more water.:cool:

Many operators are saying they ban gloves as they encourage you to touch - no gloves leaves one reluctant to finger-ge-poken.....

Archived